Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Agreed. After having both style transmissions in both my bombers I realize the SCX/Wraith style trans is the way to go. Smaller, simpler, stronger, and lighter. I'm really surprised that an aluminum Yeti housing was never developed. I've seen an aluminum transfer case housing but no main trans housing.

I think the complexity of the Yeti tranny is what's keeping anyone from making an aluminum case for it. If one was made, the price would probably be crazy! LOL!!

I was torn between putting the SCX10 tranny or the Wraith tranny. I knew I could "borrow" a bomb proof SCX10 tranny from another one of my rigs, and I already had a set of CI extended outputs, a SuperShafty ultimate motor plate, and a RRP bottom diff gear. Everything was leaning towards a SCX10 tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Gonna post up a sneak peek!! LOL!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
I think the complexity of the Yeti tranny is what's keeping anyone from making an aluminum case for it. If one was made, the price would probably be crazy! LOL!!

I was torn between putting the SCX10 tranny or the Wraith tranny. I knew I could "borrow" a bomb proof SCX10 tranny from another one of my rigs, and I already had a set of CI extended outputs, a SuperShafty ultimate motor plate, and a RRP bottom diff gear. Everything was leaning towards a SCX10 tranny.

They are available on eBay and asiatees in aluminum. If u trust them. http://www.asiatees.com/display?Axia...d=110824&pid=1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Well..... I finally was able to get started on assembling my wheels and mounting my tires. I was only able to get two of them completed tonight! I've been having to deal with some "life" stuff, the last couple of days...

I absolutely love how easily Vanquish wheels are to assemble and mount tires to!! I say it every time I assemble VP wheels and mount tires to them! Maybe that's why I keep buying VP wheels!!

I running VP 2.2 Method 101 wheels - clear anodized with black bead lock rings. VP .350 SLW hubs front and rear. I'm mounting a set of Voodoo U4 tires (silver compound), with Crawler Innovations 2.2 Deuces Wild foams.
For the type of terrain that I run on, the C.I. Deuces Wild work really well for me. Especially since the BGR Bomber is going to weigh a little more than a stock Bomber.

Hopefully, I will be able to get the other two completed tomorrow night! I have tranny parts inbound, so I wanna get the wheels and tires out of the way before I get back to working on the tranny!

Here's a pic of my wheel and tire progress....

Name:  FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  167.3 KB

Next up....
Finish the last two wheels and tires.
Move back to building the SCX10 bomb proof tranny and installing it.
Finish fabricating my aluminum "esc shelf" behind the tranny.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Are you going to run an interior?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Are you going to run an interior?

Yes. The Bomber interior has to be trimmed down a bit to fit in the BGR Bomber chassis, but it will fit.

I would love to figure out a way to get a Wraith interior in it!! LOL!!

I'm sure if I wait long enough, someone will figure out how to get a Wraith interior to work in it....

Old 02-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

I finished getting my ESC shelf fabricated, and my SCX10 bomb proof tranny assembled and installed today. I actually made some decent progress on the BGR Bomber today!

The ESC shelf that I fabbed up was pretty simple. I'm using the DMG tranny adapter plate in the BGR Bomber so I can run a SCX10 tranny.

I had to mock the SCX10 tranny up on the DMG adapter plate and install it on the Bomber skid. This had to be done to figure out where I needed holes drilled for the long, internally threaded spacers. I used a black sharpie and made reference marks for the top of the ESC shelf. After mocking it up, I figure out that I would use one existing hole in the DMG adapter plate, and I would have to drill two other holes myself.

The two holes that I have the red circles around, where the ones that I had to drill. I drilled them with a 1/8" bit.
The one hole with the blue circle around it is an existing hole in the DMG adapter plate. It's actually one of the threaded holes that attaches the adapter plate to the Bomber skid.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  126.4 KB

I found some 25mm (.98") internally threaded aluminum spacers on RC4WD. The only ones I could find in that length were anodized black. So, with some Greased Lightning and about 20 minutes, I had the anodizing removed and had raw aluminum spacers!
I'm using three of the four spacers that came in the package.

With the holes drilled in the DMG adapter plate and figuring out that I was going to use one of the existing threaded holes in the adapter plate, I found a piece of 1/6" aluminum that was 1 1/2" wide. I cut it down to 1 1/2", so it ended up a square at 1 1/2".
I positioned the 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum on the adapter plate, using the black sharpie reference marks to get it where I wanted it. I clamped the two pieces together so I could make marks to drill the holes in the 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" piece of aluminum, which will be the top of the ESC shelf.
After marking where the holes needed to be drilled, I pulled the clamps off and drilled three 1/8" holes in the top of the ESC shelf, and counter sunk them.

Name:  FullSizeRender_4.jpg
Views: 2600
Size:  120.4 KB

After a little sanding and clean up, the components for the ESC shelf were completed!

Now I had to assemble the tranny and get it mounted to the DMG adapter plate.

I decided to use the SCX10 tranny with extended rear outputs. Going this route is so much easier!
Here's what the tranny consists of....

VP clear anodized aluminum SCX10 tranny housing
SuperShafty Ultimate motor plate
HR hardened steel top gear
Robinson Racing hardened steel idler gear
Robinson Racing hardened steel diff gear
Crawler Innovatios extend outputs (5mm shafts)
Locked Up RC slipper eliminator kit
Avid RC Revolution bearings
Duratrax 56t 32p plastic spur gear

Name:  FullSizeRender_3.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  123.5 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 2585
Size:  155.0 KB

I installed the tranny on the DMG adapter plate, and then I installed two of the three 25mm aluminum spacers.

Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 2760
Size:  97.1 KB

Then I installed the adapter plate, tranny and ESC shelf assembly onto the Bomber skid. After that was installed, I added the third 25mm spacer. I used a longer screw so when it was put through the Bomber skid and threaded through the adapter plate, I had about 8mm of exposed threads to screw on the third 25mm spacer.
The last thing was to installer the top of the shelf onto the three spacers! The tranny and ESC shelf was now complete!
I was kinda proud of myself after it was finished! LOL!! I didn't think it turned out too bad! It's very rigid, and should be plenty of room to mount a nice size ESC on it, and fit under the Bomber interior panel!!

Name:  ESCshelf1.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  121.7 KB
Name:  ESCshelf2.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  ESCshelf3.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  103.2 KB
Name:  ESCshelf4.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  128.1 KB

The extended rear output and MIP Yeti rear drive shaft easily clears the ESC shelf!!
Here's a full view of the drivetrain (without motor and ESC)!!

Name:  FullView.jpg
Views: 2669
Size:  97.7 KB

Next up....
Getting oil in the Pro Line Pro Spec shocks and getting them mounted.
Mount the RC4WD aluminum fuel cell to the chassis.
Get the VP sway bar installed on the chassis.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Nice work. Keep it up. Gonna be an awesome one for sure.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Nice work. Keep it up. Gonna be an awesome one for sure.

Thank you for the kind words!!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Not much of an update... It's been busy at my house the last few days!!

I was able to get my Pro-Line Pro-Spec shocks filled with oil and bled. I know, it's not a huge accomplishment, especially since the Pro-Spec shocks were pre-assembled!

I'm running the rear Pro-Spec shocks on the front and rear of the Bombdiggity. I was going to get my trusty Powerstrokes, but decided on getting and trying out the Pro-Spec shocks. I'm a huge fan of Pro-Line shocks! I have the Scalers on both of my SCX10's. They've always worked well for me, and never had any issues with them leaking. Not to mention, I think they're great looking shocks!
I really like how the Pro-Spec shocks are assembled, especially the shock cap design! The only thing that I dislike, is the fact that the pivot ball on the bottom of the shock is a little too narrow for the shock mounts on the Currie axles, and the VP trailing arms. I tried the wider pivot balls that came with the shocks and they are too wide. Maybe I'll try to get a small washer or rubber O-ring on each side of the pivot ball, when I mount them. Maybe see if I can get rid of some of the side to side slop...

After doing some research on RCC, and reading what other people have been running for shock oil weight in their Bombers, I decided to go with 35 wt. oil with green (soft) springs in the front, and 25 wt. oil with red (hard) springs in the rear. Obviously these are my starting points, and I'm sure I'll change some stuff on the shocks. I highly doubt I'll be lucky enough to get it right on the first try!!

I wish they were anodized red or black, instead of blue for my build. I guess if it ends up bothering me too bad, I can always disassemble them and have the blue pieces stripped and anodized a different color!

Name:  prospec shocks.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  80.0 KB

Next up on the list....

*Mount the Pro-Spec shocks.
*Adjust the pinion angle on the front axle a bit more, and clock the C-hubs and knuckles accordingly.
*Start getting some stuff mounted on the BGR chassis (VP sway bar, aluminum fuel cell, and get the interior trimmed to fit).
Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I am totally stealing that esc mount idea. Much better than mine!!

Jayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Very simple to do!
I actually think it didn't turn out too terribly bad, especially being limited on what tools I have.

If my Fearless Fabricator and chassis builder (Bill) wasn't so swamped, I probably would have talked him into making something for me!! LOL!!

Old 02-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayn View Post
I am totally stealing that esc mount idea. Much better than mine!!

The idea you had is pretty much the same except you'd have an awful time mounting your motor
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

It's been a little while since I've posted any updates on the build! Work and family have been keeping me very busy! It's been difficult finding time to get any significant work done on the BGR Bomber, the last couple of weeks!

I've turn my attention to the chassis. I'm wanting to get some stuff completed on it. I was able to find a little time today to get the aluminum fuel cell mounted on the chassis. It wasn't a difficult thing to do, just took a bit of time getting the holes drilled in the right location on the chassis, and on the aluminum fuel cell. The RC4WD aluminum fuel cell will hold my receiver and BEC.
I'm really liking the looks of the RC4WD aluminum fuel cell, on the BGR Bomber chassis! The RC4WD aluminum fuel cells are a little spendy, but I think it's a nice looking addition to the build. Plus, it does serve a purpose!

Name:  fuel cell 1.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  fuel cell 2.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  fuel cell 3.jpg
Views: 3230
Size:  118.4 KB

I still have to get the Bomber interior panel trimmed up to fit in the BGR Bomber chassis, and get the Vanquish sway bar installed. The Bomber interior panel will take a little time to get trimmed up so that it fits the BGR chassis, and doesn't look like poo!!
So, those will be my next couple of projects on the build!
Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

Your build is great, and I cherish all BGR parts that I have.

I have 2 questions:

1.) Prior to installing the scx tranny, did the driveline hit the spur gear or limit suspension travel (centered Currie, VP trailing arms and links)? -I am hitting the cover, and if I remove the cover, it hits the spur.

2.) Are your trailing arms positioned in the correct orientation? I have the pointy part of them facing down because I thought this was correct... But you are not the first I have seen with them installed with them flat side down, this is simply the first time I inquired about it.

Thanks for posting the build, and any answer.

Looks amazing!
fatroofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatroofus View Post
Your build is great, and I cherish all BGR parts that I have.

I have 2 questions:

1.) Prior to installing the scx tranny, did the driveline hit the spur gear or limit suspension travel (centered Currie, VP trailing arms and links)? -I am hitting the cover, and if I remove the cover, it hits the spur.

2.) Are your trailing arms positioned in the correct orientation? I have the pointy part of them facing down because I thought this was correct... But you are not the first I have seen with them installed with them flat side down, this is simply the first time I inquired about it.

Thanks for posting the build, and any answer.

Looks amazing!
Thank you for the compliments!
No worries on asking questions! I will always answer them to the best of my knowledge!

I'm the same way with all of my BGR parts! Bill and I are really good friends, and I help him with BGR, so I'm very partial to my BGR parts! Not to mention, he does outstanding work!

Yes, my drive shafts did hit the spur gear cover on the stock tranny, mainly from the centered pumpkin Currie axle in the rear. That was one of the few reasons why I went with the SCX10 tranny. I didn't try messing with the stock tranny to see if I could make it work. Once I saw that there were going to be issues, I swapped it out with the SCX10 tranny. The SCX10 tranny is so much simpler. It takes up less room, less moving parts, a bit lighter, and it gives you a bit better rear drive shaft angle.
I would highly recommend to anyone, swapping out the stock tranny for a SCX10 or Wraith tranny. I'm a huge fan of VP parts, so I went with the SCX10 style tranny, so I could use VP's aluminum tranny case.
SSD also makes a nice looking Wraith style tranny that will work.

As far as the trailing arms go.....
I didn't even realize that I had them on upside down!! For some weird reason, I assumed they were supposed to go with the "pointy" side up. I just looked at some pics on the VP website, and you are absolutely correct! They have them oriented with the flat side facing up! I will be changing those around tonight!!
Thanks for pointing that out!!

Hopefully I can get back on the build and post a little more regular now. My life has been a bit busy the past couple of weeks! Not much time for the build...
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #57

Looking Good Eddy! Looks like the Truss worked out good!
dlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgone View Post
Looking Good Eddy! Looks like the Truss worked out good!

Hey Darrin!! Thank you for the kind words!Yep! The truss worked out great! Thanks again!

Are you ready to pre-order your BGR Bomber chassis?

Old 02-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Good stuff sir. Much amounts of awesome in that cage. BGR is shipping mine Monday.

ESC mount is nicely engineered. Stealing that one!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #60

I'm going to get one just as soon as I get the other 11 RC projects I have waiting done! LOL! Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through you and the "Bombdiggity" build!
dlgone is offline   Reply With Quote

2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BGR fabrications Bomber chassis!! BGR Fabrications Axial RR10 Bomber 80 02-11-2020 07:11 AM
BGR Fabrications Ultra4 build, 1.9... Angus_Beef Axial Wraith 45 02-21-2016 06:06 PM
BGR KOH Style Build "Bodi-Size" BodiBuilt Axial Wraith 33 10-27-2013 07:07 PM