Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity"

More more more. JK. Awesome progress. Looking really good. Really looking forward to more updates.

On a side note. I remember someone (Can't remember who) stating to use 3x4mm Button Head Screws instead of the set screws on the VP swaybar since they come loose.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
More more more. JK. Awesome progress. Looking really good. Really looking forward to more updates.

On a side note. I remember someone (Can't remember who) stating to use 3x4mm Button Head Screws instead of the set screws on the VP swaybar since they come loose.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sway bar set screws, Mike!

I've been helping my son with a big history project for school. I've learned more about Sir Thomas Gates the last couple of weeks, than I really care to know! LOL!!

Once the history project is done, I can focus a little more on the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

Ok!! The school history project, for my son, is now completed! I can know put some more time into this build! I was beginning to think it was going to be a career build!

I got the stock Bomber interior panel trimmed, painted and the decals installed - finally! I still have to paint the helmets for the interior panel, but we've had a small little winter blast, here in Michigan...

I got the interior panel in the BGR chassis, but I'm gonna have to get a little creative on the mounting. I have the rear mounting figured out, but still have to brainstorm something for the front. I want the actual method of mounting the interior panel hidden (no screws, zip ties, etc. showing). I have a couple ideas, just have to figure out which one will work, or if either will work!

Name:  interior 1.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  133.4 KB
Name:  interior 2.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  124.6 KB

I also got the Vanquish 2" Rigid light bar mounted right behind the front bumper. I can't really take credit for the actual "mounting" of the light bar. Bill actually had it mounted, when the chassis was shipped to me. I just removed the light bar after I received the chassis.
So basically, I remounted the Vanquish 2" Rigid light bar!

Name:  light bar.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  125.3 KB

Tomorrow, I start soldering and getting it wired up! This is the part of the build that gets a little tedious for me. Routing wires through the chassis fifteen different ways because I don't like how it looks! Figuring out what I'm going to use to hide the wiring.... What I'm gonna use to secure the wiring... But, make it easy to remove the chassis from the skid, without having to remove all of the wiring. Where I'm gonna mount the external BEC, and the HeyOK lighting controller. If I wanna use all black wiring on the esc and motor, or use the conventional red, black, and white wiring.
Like I said, it gets a little tedious for me, but I enjoy it! That's what makes this hobby so much fun! It's all about how creative you be!

Stay Tuned...... (I will post again tomorrow afternoon with pics, I promise!)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Coming together nicely. I like how the VP LB just disappears into the chassis. The black drivers are going to go well with your Panels scheme. Big
Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

I had a bit of time today to get some stuff wired up and soldered on the Bombdiggity!

Disclaimer - My soldering work isn't the best looking! It's not horrible, but it's not the greatest! I've never had any cold solder joints, or anything come loose!

I started off soldering the wires on the Tekin RSX. I did it a little backwards, though. I soldered the three motor wires on first, which made it a bit of a pain to get the capacitor soldered on the + and - posts. I was able to get the cap soldered on!

I did end up using all black wire from the ESC to the motor. I really didn't want the red, black, and white wires showing. I did use red and black for the main power wires going from the ESC to the lipo.

Name:  ESC 1.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  94.0 KB

I got all the wires soldered on, and the fan assembly back on the ESC.
If there's one thing that I dislike about Tekin ESC's, it's the posts that you solder the wires to. I really wish they would do something different in that area.

Name:  ESC 2.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  92.9 KB

Now, it was time to break out the motor and get it mounted on the tranny, and get the ESC installed on the shelf that I made. I like installing the motor, then soldering the wires to it. For me, it makes it easier to figure out the length of the three motor wires.

Name:  Motor 1.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  Motor 2.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  104.4 KB

I finally got everything soldered up on the ESC and motor, and got them both installed! I did solder a smaller gauge power and ground wires to the positive and negative posts on the ESC, so it can be ran back to the fuel cell / receiver box. That small gauge power and ground wires will be used to power my BEC, and the VP 2" Rigid light bar through a HeyOK light controller.

Name:  ESC & Motor.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  141.3 KB

I think it turned out looking ok. Like I said, my soldering work isn't the prettiest, but I guarantee there won't be any cold solder joints either!

Coming up next.....

I'm need to get the chassis on the skid, and basically get it mocked up so I can get the servo and light bar wires ran back. Figure out if I want to shorten the servo wires, so I can have a plug in front of the chassis to make it easier to remove without having to "tear down" my wiring job. I thought about just bundling up the extra servo wire up front, but not sure how I can hide it, so you don't see a nasty looking bundle of wires... If I could find a really small aluminum box to mount up front, that would look decent and hide my bail of extra servo wire! I'l have to see what I can find or figure out!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:57 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

I haven't forgotten about my build thread! I've been routing wires and getting my BGR Bomber wired up.
I had an issue with one of the electronic components, and had to order a couple things.

So I got it all wired up and now I'm starting to get the Bombdiggity together!! Finally!!!

I have to install the links to my sway bar and get the body panels on. I'm not going to call it finished, but it's pretty close!!
I'm hoping to give it a small test run either today or tomorrow!!!
Woo Hoooo!!!

I wanna get some really good pics of it all together, and I will definitely post them after I take good pics!

Stay tuned! Pics will be posted soon!!!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 AM   #87
Rock Crawler

I didn't get many pics of me routing wires and getting it wired up. We all know what that's about!! Probably one if my least favorite things to do when building a rig!
I ended up mounting my CC BEC under the interior panel, towards the back. I mounted the receiver and the Heyok lighting controller (along with the extra wiring) in the RC4WD aluminum fuel cell.

It's definitely "50 lbs. of crap in a 5 lbs. bag", in the aluminum fuel cell. A little more "packed" in the fuel cell than what I like, but everything is good and it will work!
You can see some of the "50 lbs. of crap" in the pic.

I used the expandable mesh wire loom covering all of the wires. That stuff is not the most user friendly, but it's not too bad after you get the hang of it. I also used black shrink tubing to finish the ends on the expandable mesh loom. I used small black zip ties to keep the wiring close to the chassis as possible, but strategically placed the zip ties so they won't be so noticeable.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see an update 2-shot

I am also highly dreading the wiring on mine. I'm too picky/anal. Due to the high level of components you should never have to go back in there once shack down is done. Is nice to not have a rats nest and be able to drop the skid without cutting 100 zip ties.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #89
Rock Crawler

Some teaser pics....

Old 04-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

I got some teaser pics posted up, as you may have seen....

I am so damn happy about how it turned out! I love it!!

It's not finished, though... I still have to get a T-handle (hint, hint, Bill) to mount the spare tire. I have to paint my helmets and install them! Those headless drivers are gonna ruin my BGR Bomber!!
I want to add a radiator on it, in the rear. There's a few other small aesthetic things that I want to do to it.

I would also like to drop the suspension just a hair more. The spare tire in the rear is heavier than what I thought, so I may end up having to put some stiffer springs on the Pro Line Pro Spec shocks, in the rear.
I'm not quite sure yet on how I'm going to drop the suspension. I'm at the very top hole on the front shock towers on the BGR Chassis. There is a little room to drill another hole higher, on the front shock tower. I don't know if I have the guts to do it yet! The rear shock tower has a couple more holes above the one I currently have my shocks mounted to. So, lowering the rear should be easy!
I was able to run it for a few minutes, but just in my front yard. I do think I'm going to go down a tooth on the pinion gear and see how I like it. I dialed back the throttle EPA on my radio and gave it some decent amount of negative expo, and it still seems a little too fast on top end. I could maybe try dropping the current limiter setting in the Tekin RSX and see if that helps, but I doubt it will.
The MKS servo seems to move the 2.2 VP Methods and Voodoo U4's pretty well! So far I'm impressed with the MKS servo! We'll see how it does in something other than my front yard, though!!

Like I said, I am very happy with it! I couldn't ask for anything better or different on it! I just gotta finish up the few cosmetic things, play with suspension and gearing a bit, and she'll be ready to rock!

I'll continue to update the thread as I add things or make changes to anything, and let you know if I like them or not. I'll also include pics as I add some of the cosmetic things to it!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Beautiful!!! Wow. What an awesome cage and rig.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Beautiful!!! Wow. What an awesome cage and rig.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

I agree, the BGR cage is aluminum artwork!

Bill (BGR Fabrications) does outstanding work!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

I know, it's been forever since I've posted anything to my build thread!

Here's a couple updates to my BGR Bomber Build!

I got my helmets painted for the interior. I went with two full face helmets. I painted them red to go with theme of the skins. Nothing fancy, just painted red with the decals added!

I also added some window nets to the chassis. I was unsure how I was going to attach the nets to the aluminum chassis without it looking horrible! Bill came up with the idea of using a really small gauge wire (safety wire) to attach the netting to the aluminum chassis.
I purchased a small roll of 28 gauge galvanized steel wire. I grabbed my Lego netting, wire and I went at it!
I don't think it turned out too horrible! You can't see the wire in the pics. It's visible if you look closely at it. I wrapped the wire around the chassis tubing, along with the netting, pulled it tight and twisted the wire a few times.

I also got my radiator installed. I'm not fortunate enough to own a TSS scale aluminum radiator, since TSS no longer produces them!
I painted up a plastic Yeti radiator and used that. It didn't turn out bad, but wish I had a TSS scale aluminum radiator (if anyone has one they would sell me!), but this will have to do! LOL!

I still haven't been able to run it. We've been getting a lot of rain, and my BGR Bomber isn't, and won't be a mud buggy! LOL!!

As soon as it dries up a bit, I'll give it a good shake down run and see what changes need to be done!

I'm gonna add a couple small scale items to it. I just haven't figured out where I'm gonna mount them.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to make my BGR Bomber look or perform better, I'm open to suggestions! We have a lot of knowledgeable and talented people on this forum. I'm sure there's things I could change or improve on it!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #94

Amazing Build! I'm really looking forward to receiving my BGR Cage here soon.
TwoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
Amazing Build! I'm really looking forward to receiving my BGR Cage here soon.

You will absolutely love your BGR Bomber chassis!! It's truly aluminum artwork!!

It is very safe to say that I will never part with this rig! Even if I get completely disinterested with RC and sell it all! I will still have my BGR Bomber "Bombdiggity"! My BGR Bomber chassis is the very first one that Bill built (besides his prototype chassis)!
It definitely has a lot more meaning to it, other than being a RC car!!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
You will absolutely love your BGR Bomber chassis!! It's truly aluminum artwork!!

It is very safe to say that I will never part with this rig! Even if I get completely disinterested with RC and sell it all! I will still have my BGR Bomber "Bombdiggity"! My BGR Bomber chassis is the very first one that Bill built (besides his prototype chassis)!
It definitely has a lot more meaning to it, other than being a RC car!!

The netting turned out nice. I tried but couldn't see how you mounted it so .

I 2nd the TSS radiator request. Wish there were more out there but the stock one turned out just as nice looking.

I've been so busy I haven't touched mine so looking forward to your maiden run.

I fully agree on you keeping the chassis. That is a keeper for life.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #97

So what is the total cost in this build?
Silver2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2011 View Post
So what is the total cost in this build?

I'm not sure anybody wants to add up the total cost.
2Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #99

That is true
Silver2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shoes View Post
I'm not sure anybody wants to add up the total cost.

Yeah, I don't really want to know! LOL!!

2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BGR fabrications Bomber chassis!! BGR Fabrications Axial RR10 Bomber 80 02-11-2020 07:11 AM
BGR Fabrications Ultra4 build, 1.9... Angus_Beef Axial Wraith 45 02-21-2016 06:06 PM
BGR KOH Style Build "Bodi-Size" BodiBuilt Axial Wraith 33 10-27-2013 07:07 PM