Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Steering servo mount options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Steering servo mount options?

IV noticed a ton of flex coming from the stock servo mount now that I upgraded to VP steering links, so what are my options here? I've looked and can't seem to find any bomber specific pieces?
ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering servo mount options?

I think the bomber servo plate is plastic right? If so, pick up a wraith/spawn servo plate which is aluminum and pick up some aluminum servo mounts as well.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Anybody having issues with the servo itself? The stock didn't last long. I expected that. But I have upgraded to a Spektrum S6230 and have just shelled it out for the second time without any real abuse. Did I just make a bad choice in servos? Or are you all having issues too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill16 View Post
Anybody having issues with the servo itself? The stock didn't last long. I expected that. But I have upgraded to a Spektrum S6230 and have just shelled it out for the second time without any real abuse. Did I just make a bad choice in servos? Or are you all having issues too?

I had servo issues on my Wraith (same steering setup) for months, even blowing out both a HiTec 7955 and 7950 (at least they were under warranty). I finally got a Promodeler and once I got a waterproofing oversight fixed it has been great. If I were to get another servo I'd probably get a Holmes Hobbies HV500 which is very similar to the ProModeler (brushless, high voltage, all steel gears). John Holmes is active here and wholeheartedly supports this hobby while the Promodeler maker mostly supports just the flying community (nothing against that, I would just prefer to support the vendors who are registered here) Unfortunately, the Holmes HV500 is so popular that it's currently out of stock, even through resellers so a ProModeler might be an option if you need something sooner.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm loving the Promodeler servo on my go fast Bomber. It's strong, quiet, and well made. I'd love to try the new Holmes as well just need to catch one in stock.

Dewey, for the servo mount, just pick up a Wraith servo plate and some aluminum servo mounts and clamps and you'll be flex free in no time.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I actually like the one piece design, not so much with the flexy plastic. Someone will copy the stock mount in aluminum soon enough. It will probably be Boom Racing or a similar company but I'll try it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Dlux U4 truss....
  • Dropped servo for a much better COG
  • Servo is in a great spot for proper steering link geometry. This means more power and a more consistent feel.
  • Upper links are adjustable. This is really cool for the Wraith style guys who only have one upper link mount on their chassis. Raising the links at the axle has tested overly positive for us so I think it will be great even if you have adjustability at the chassis. Testing has shown much better sidehilling and climbing just by raising the links at the axle.
  • Steering links can be made so they are all behind the diff cover at all times. No more huge hang up points.
  • Servo horn does not extend past the front of the axle tube, no way it can get hit or in the way.

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

First off, that truss looks wicked. If I was to get one for my Bomber, would I need to get different upper links? How about the steering linkage?

slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I prefer the Dinky servo mount. Much easier to install...That's just my opinion.
GEISSE-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
First off, that truss looks wicked. If I was to get one for my Bomber, would I need to get different upper links? How about the steering linkage?

I JUST got one of those, it arrived yesterday. You can use all the same hardware but you will need a shorter drag link. I'm planning on just making one for now and then get one from Mr. Dlux once I get it dialed in

There's a lot more to it than just a servo mount. Everything Erik covers in his post are why I got it, plus it looks badass.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

VP just released this one piece servo mount. I ordered one yesterday to do with my new 7950 servo.

Vanquish AR60 Axle Servo Mount Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
VP just released this one piece servo mount. I ordered one yesterday to do with my new 7950 servo.

Vanquish AR60 Axle Servo Mount Black Anodized - Vanquish Products

Boom!!!!
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Doesn't really address the servo depth issue though... You really want the servo moved back as far as possible, till the horn just barely clears the mount and truss. Getting the horn moved behind the tie rod greatly improves servo life.

Edit:

If you install the mount backwards, and mount the servo from the rear it might work? Looks like that would actually be too far back. You would also have to either notch the mount, of grind off the tab on the front of most servo ears.

Last edited by maslin; 03-30-2016 at 03:46 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Maybe if you flip that VP mount around and mount the servo on the back side.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I should have one in hand tomorrow to check out the possibilities. My geometry with the stock servo mount seems ok, the most it could go back while clearing the axle is 3/16". I could also try mounting the link on the back of the servo arm, but it might not clear the diff cover.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I've been running my stock servo at 6.2 V stock wheels/tires. Knock on wood, about 12 hard run packs in it, hundreds of tumbles down huge hills and it's working still as it did new save for it just being weak. Had a weird thing for a few days where it glitches out and doesn't rx input but the stopped doing that and has been tough as nails so far! Surprised me a lot. It's mated to whiteknuckle rc steering links. Been wanting to replace it but it just won't die. Guess my tsx45 is one of the few good ones.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
I've been running my stock servo at 6.2 V stock wheels/tires. Knock on wood, about 12 hard run packs in it, hundreds of tumbles down huge hills and it's working still as it did new save for it just being weak. Had a weird thing for a few days where it glitches out and doesn't rx input but the stopped doing that and has been tough as nails so far! Surprised me a lot. It's mated to whiteknuckle rc steering links. Been wanting to replace it but it just won't die. Guess my tsx45 is one of the few good ones.
I just installed my Hitec 7950 servo, the way I wired the BEC it is feeding into the receiver to get to the steering servo. I set the BEC voltage at 6.0v because the Tactics servo is on the system as the shift servo. I wasn't sure how much voltage I could push it before it had a problem, so your 6.2v setting is interesting to me. I wonder how much voltage I could push at it without damage. I thought about wiring my BEC directly supplying the steering servo only, but having crammed my BEC in the radio enclosure I'm glad I didn't as the box is completely full of extra wiring.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #18

thats the way we connect the steering servo to the external bec without routing the amps through the rx.

YJ-Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Dlux U4 truss....
  • Dropped servo for a much better COG
  • Servo is in a great spot for proper steering link geometry. This means more power and a more consistent feel.
  • Upper links are adjustable. This is really cool for the Wraith style guys who only have one upper link mount on their chassis. Raising the links at the axle has tested overly positive for us so I think it will be great even if you have adjustability at the chassis. Testing has shown much better sidehilling and climbing just by raising the links at the axle.
  • Steering links can be made so they are all behind the diff cover at all times. No more huge hang up points.
  • Servo horn does not extend past the front of the axle tube, no way it can get hit or in the way.

I bought fronts and rears for my Bomber. Im not able to use them with stock length links in rear and I cant run dual shock up front with the stock shock mounts.
If im wrong id love to now the proper mounting because I love em!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I run a wraith servo dewanger plate with VP mounts and clamps, but the new VP mount is a better 1 piece option. Just add the clamps.
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering servo mount options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the best Servo Mount options? o0wiz0o Axial Wraith 17 03-15-2015 12:40 AM
AR60 servo mount options greenjk General Crawlers 5 07-04-2014 11:33 PM
LF T-rex axle servo mount options Dad,Canyoufix? Axial SCX-10 0 04-17-2014 07:02 AM
Steering servo mount Swass Axial Wraith 5 10-02-2012 12:52 PM
servo mount options w/o clocking links? solomon7 HPI Wheely King 7 07-30-2007 10:31 PM