Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: RR10 "Tie" Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RR10 "Tie" Bomber

Hey All...

Well i thought i would have a little fun with my Bomber, i have a couple of young boys, (oldest is 5) who i want to get into the hobby and saw someone else had used a PEZ head for there truck. Thought it was a great idea and found a Vader / Storm Trooper that worked out great. I just filled the inside with some epoxy putty, drilled it and screwed it on.

At some point, going to put up some new panels, imperial stickers, etc and call it the Tie Bomber. I have seen some amazing builds on here, been following some of them. Mine will just be a budget one, already replaced steering links, servo horn, put on some traxxas big bores on it and put in a 20t motor for a little more speed. At least until i can get a sensored brushless motor.

woody131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RR10 "Tie" Bomber

Wow that looks great. It would look even better if you got a clear interior and painted them to match.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Vader already matches. You could just paint the storm trooper side. That would look cool. An imperial themed wrap would be awesome. BPC makes some imperial themed beadlock rings for Axial 8 holes. You could also get some scale accessories from other Star Wars action figures like guns, tools, light sabers, etc. and mount them in the interior and cage. Oh boy, you got my creative side going fast.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Haha... Love this!

Agree with Camaro except that it may be easier just to grab some white enamel and paint the storm trooper's body. This makes me want to get a second interior and do something fun like this.

Edit:
Screamer beat me to it. Do this and post pics.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I can't take the credit for the Vader PEZ idea, saw it from another RCCrawler forum, but thought it was easy and looked cool. It is slightly bigger than the body, kind of bobble head looking but not to bad. I thinking just painting the storm trooper side would be easier. Now, i may keep my eyes out for a Boba Fett PEZ head as well, Him and Vader would be good.

A Imperial wrap theme is what i would love, but may just go with the Aluminum Panels and stickers. Ton's of ideas like Screamer was saying, but i think a Boba Fett PEZ with Vader and replace the Spare wheel with a Han Solo in carbonite would be pretty funny.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Awesome job. I'm not into Star Wars but like that you are doing something different.

A couple from the Yeti XL
New Wrap and DLUX fab sway bar, rear links

Messin' with Sasquatch- Project Yeti meets the Dark Side....
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

So with SCREAMERS suggestion I went and ordered some BCP Imperial beadlock covers with a set of Iron Flat XL's. I think they look good, not the easiest to get on, still fighting them. Just waiting for the black powder coated Barn Dog racing panels and will print off some custom Imperial stickers for it.

Still on the search for the Emperor's PEZ head (locally), then i won't feel the need to try and paint the inside as bad.

I did paint the fuel cell and put in a Axial Radiator. Installed with with some spare plastic parts I had kicking around.

My 5 year old is big into star wars so kind of inspired the idea and finding those PEZ heads.. lol.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, just finished the tires tonight and wanted to snap a couple quick pics.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

So been a while since i posted, but my Tie Bomber is still running. I still don't get to run it as much as i would like, but do get it out with my kids.

Current part list from stock..

- Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro BL 540 3500kv
- Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BLE Pro
- Barndog black powder coated panels (Vinyl Starwar stickers from eBay)
- STRC Hubs / GPM Knuckles
- STRC Motor Mount
- Incision Spools (Front / Back)
- Incision Links
- BeefUp RC tubes from my axles (Yes, like Beef Tubes, but a Canadian company)
- Axial AR60 OCP Universal Axle. (Big improvement from stock)
- Axial rear sway bar
- Axial 25t servo horn
- Tactic X57 Servo (ALL Metal grears)
- CC BEC
- Traxxas big bore shocks
- T-Bone Racing rear axle guard

And of course Vader and Boba Fett PEZ heads...

I also have a set of Proline IronFlat XL tires. I do like them a lot, great for crawling and slow speeds but as soon put some decent speed on it, racing it around, i loose the tires and they pull out of the beadlocks. I didn't realize until now that some Prolines have some challenges with beadlocks?. I have only tried Axial's plastic wheels / beadlocks and a set of Proline Titus wheels, but all of them still pull out of the beadlock. So for now i have put the stock tires back on for now until i try a more expensive set of wheels OR just get a new set of tires. I am interested in trying a set of the Incision new wheels, but just sucks that shipping to Canada costs almost the same price as 1 set of the wheels.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

So I decided to go with a set of the new Incision Method 2.2 MR307 Clear wheels to with my Proline Flat Iron XL tires.

I will admit I have not put together to many beadlock wheels and struggled a lot with these proline's. Finally figured out how to do it and the rest went a lot faster.

I have only been able to do a quick test run up and down my street but all held together expect one, which I suspected may not have been set when I finished.

Happy with how they look and looking forward to getting some crawling in to test them out more.

Last edited by woody131; 07-29-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Took the Bomber and the Kids out this evening to the park and go to do some hill climbing, crawling and some gravel fun. Really happy with the new wheels with the Flat Iron's and held up great.

Next thing i need to figure out is why my turning radius seems to be slightly limited. Going to take my front end apart a bit and check my servo trim.

The Bomber has been a great truck for both speed, trails, crawling and having fun tweaking it for all.

Video - Taking the Bomber for a Spin

Old 08-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks good and I like the Darth Driver and co pilot.

How do you like the T Bone trailing arm braces?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks.. Saw the PEZ heads on another build and realized i had some Star Wars ones around and that's what started my build, plus i thought my son would think its cool, lol. Lots of great looking Bombers on here and lots of great ideas...

I do have the T-Bone trailing arm guards on. Again, probably not the best for serious crawling as it does hang over the arm just a bit, but for trailing, some speed, etc i thought this was a cheaper solution and i have used T-Bone products on other trucks i had and worked great
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #14

I see you swapped out the Storm Trooper for Boba Fett.
Kylo Ren would also probably work well even if they are in different times.
benchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I liked the Storm Trooper, but did look a little odd with the white head and black body (Need a Tie Figher PEZ). With Boba Fett, i thought it was a little cooler and like his symbol a lot (on my front hood). But Kylo Ren would be great if PEZ makes them, maybe find a Han Sole one as the co-driver, lol. Actually i already have a Chewy PEZ Head, just need the Han one and turn my bomber into the Falcon.. lol
Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Trolling Endor for some Rebal scum... lol

I think next on the list for the Bomber is a possible light bar OR upgrade the Servo to something a little more powerful, ideally water proof. Thinking Hitec but still doing some researching on it. Already have a BEC installed so ready for whatever I get, something in the 60 to 100 range.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Really digging the whole PEZ head idea! How are those new incision BL wheels holding up?
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Loving the new Incision Wheels. Wish I hadn't wasted money on plastic ones as I could never get the beads to stay with my PL tires. I have run the new wheels 3 or 4 times now at all speeds and haven't pulled out the beads at all.

RR10 "Tie" Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" 2-shot Axial RR10 Bomber 150 05-19-2020 12:10 PM
I need a way to tie the "bumpers" to the frame redsawacs Axial AX10 2nd-gen 4 08-03-2013 11:53 AM
"tie rod" question green73 Tamiya CR-01 10 06-06-2008 02:33 PM