Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build

Unlike a B2B, the wheelbase of a B1B can be adjustable, you can use short Twin Hammers trailing arms, longer Wraith length T/As or the even longer Yeti/Bomber T/As.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #302
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Unlike a B2B, the wheelbase of a B1B can be adjustable, you can use short Twin Hammers trailing arms, longer Wraith length T/As or the even longer Yeti/Bomber T/As.
I don't see why you could not section the B2B plate, bolt in a small joiner plate, drill new holes for the rear brace, and have a choice of wheelbase.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 AM   #303
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I don't see why you could not section the B2B plate, bolt in a small joiner plate, drill new holes for the rear brace, and have a choice of wheelbase.

You could but changing TA's is much easier. Anybody can change TA's to change the wheelbase.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #304
I wanna be Dave

Rjohn929....the B2B has independent suspension front and rear, there's no T/As.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #305
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
You could but changing TA's is much easier. Anybody can change TA's to change the wheelbase.
Sure, but what I am proposing can be accomplished by a hobbyist with a hacksaw, a drill, and a few extra countersunk nuts and bolts.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Testing photo hosting!

B2B_Bomber_42

Last edited by bilinvic; 06-26-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #307
RCC Addict

Quote:
Rjohn929....the B2B has independent suspension front and rear, there's no T/As.

I know, just jumping in there since the comparison was made about adjusting wheelbase with the B1B and the B2B. I don't think adjusting the B2B would be necessary although I don't have one. I went the FIS PRT route instead.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

All 165 photos have been updated with Flickr.....fixing this thread has given me the itch to get this B2B out on the rocks soon!

BTW FU PB
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 AM   #309
RCC Addict

Again, thanks for fixing the pics!!!!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #310

What gear ratios are you running (axle and spur)? trying to gauge due to the added weight and design. Not looking to race this but trail and rock bounce when needed.
Stretch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #311
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1 View Post
What gear ratios are you running (axle and spur)? trying to gauge due to the added weight and design. Not looking to race this but trail and rock bounce when needed.
The rear diff is Axial HD 43/13 gears, fronts are Axial HD 38/13 gears. I'm pretty sure the trans ring and pinion is 11T/56T.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Spent the full day out with the guys crawling Mt. Work with my B2B today. It's been a while since I have run this fully independent suspension rig out on the rocks. It performed fantastic and it's so much fun to drive. It's extremely capable in the technical crawls, but not my best crawler in my arsenal of rigs though. I love watching each corner acting independently over obstacles.

The Racer's edge diff putty worked great and I'm very glad I had it today as I'm sure it saved the front Vanquish VVD's from snapping in extreme binds. The only issue I had today was two bent Axial rear dog-bone axles. It's a good thing I was carrying spares and in no time I was up and running again. I think that I'm going to get the same open diff gears (as the front) for the rear axle and fill them with the RE diff putty to see if that saves the rear dog-bones from bending and twisting. I'm so happy with the putty's performance that I'm sure it will be great in the rear diff too.

I can say this for sure, I have no doubts in my mind that building this B2B was definitely worth it.

B2B_Bomber_45

B2B_Bomber_48

B2B_Bomber_49

B2B_Bomber_47

B2B_Bomber_43

B2B_Bomber_44

B2B_Bomber_46

B2B_Bomber_51

B2B_Bomber_50

B2B_Bomber_52

Last edited by bilinvic; 09-02-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #313
I wanna be Dave

The racers edge diff lock is really some awesome stuff. Glad to hear its working out for you too. Any video from this last run?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #314
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Spent the full day out with the guys crawling Mt. Work with my B2B today. It's been a while since I have run this fully independent suspension rig out on the rocks. It performed fantastic and it's so much fun to drive. It's extremely capable in the technical crawls, but not my best crawler in my arsenal of rigs though. I love watching each corner acting independently over obstacles.

The Racer's edge diff putty worked great and I'm very glad I had it today as I'm sure it saved the front Vanquish VVD's from snapping in extreme binds. The only issue I had today was two bent Axial rear dog-bone axles. It's a good thing I was carrying spares and in no time I was up and running again. I think that I'm going to get the same open diff gears (as the front) for the rear axle and fill them with the RE diff putty to see if that saves the rear dog-bones from bending and twisting. I'm so happy with the putty's performance that I'm sure it will be great in the rear diff too.

I can say this for sure, I have no doubts in my mind that building this B2B was definitely worth it.
Sounds like a great run.

Was the bent dogbone on the same side both times?
Old 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
The racers edge diff lock is really some awesome stuff. Glad to hear its working out for you too. Any video from this last run?
Unfortunately, no video this time....sorry. I'm almost tempted to convert my solid axle Bomber to semi-open diffs using the diff putty, it works that good.

Quote:
Sounds like a great run.

Was the bent dogbone on the same side both times?
Yes, both bent dogbones were from the passenger side. I'm feeling optimistic that when I convert the rear diff to a semi-open diff with the Racers Edge diff putty that I won't be bending axles so easily.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #316
I wanna be Dave

I took advantage of RPP's 15% off Labor Say sale to improve the B2B.

I found I still need a bit more front end weight but with Yeti Knuckles and castor blocks, brass SLW hub weights (Beef Patties) cannot be used and internal weights around the wheel is not an option IMHO. I'm going to try out a pair of Brass Hex Style Beef Patties that adds 1 oz per side.

I also ordered an Axial EXO Machined Aluminum Rear Toe Block; R2 Hard Anodized because the steel one I'm using is slightly bent on the outer "ears".

As I mentioned previously, I ordered the parts required to convert the rear diff to an open diff.

Lastly, a new pair of Exo 7x96mm Dogbones....hopefully these ones won't be twisted into hockey sticks!!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #317
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes, both bent dogbones were from the passenger side. I'm feeling optimistic that when I convert the rear diff to a semi-open diff with the Racers Edge diff putty that I won't be bending axles so easily.
Have you manually cycled the suspension to see if the dogbone is bottoming out in the cup at full compression, on that side vs the other? Strangely, on my rig, one side seems to bottom out before the other.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have you manually cycled the suspension to see if the dogbone is bottoming out in the cup at full compression, on that side vs the other? Strangely, on my rig, one side seems to bottom out before the other.
Yes, many times. At full compression there's still a small amount of lateral movement in the each dogbone (from the diff case output to the wheel). Parts from RPP should be arriving this week.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Parts arrived.

I have now converted the rear diff to semi-open using the Axial differential gear set and the Racer's Edge diff putty.

The Beef Tube hex style beef patties are very nice. I have one little criticism though, I wish the hex was stepped like an Axial Wraith hex to better support the wheels. No fitment issues using Vanquish Yeti Knuckles. I did discover that the SSD hubs do not fit properly on the Beef Patty hex, I had to use a SLW hub in order to get the hex fully seated in the hub. Luckily, I was using .225 SLW hubs on the rear wheels and the SSD hubs (same width as .225) on the fronts, so I simply swapped them over and I was good to go. I couldn't just move the rear tires forward because they utilize stiffer foams.

I did a quick 10 minute test session on the rocks and that little bit of extra brass weight up front made all the difference I was looking for. Same for semi-open diffs front and rear, everything worked perfectly and hopefully the B2B will be not such an axle killer!!!!

B2B_Bomber_56

B2B_Bomber_55

B2B_Bomber_54

B2B_Bomber_53
Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #320
I wanna be Dave

Bil, a few questions:

1. What's the B2B wheel base?

2. Why did you go with the full B2B kit vs upgrade kit from B1B?

3. Is the B2B worth the upgrade over the B1B? Im torn to upgrade or not. But the idea of IS front/rear is so tempting.

Thanks.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
Dmg b1b & b2b bomber demo Jasper105 Videos! 0 02-22-2016 07:26 AM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM