Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

I will be using a SuperShafty Wraith trans for this build and to answer your questions, yes, yes, and yes!
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I suppose the Wraith trans is similar to an SCX10? What does it take to install? Can you use the Wraith center driveshafts? I'm pretty new at this so I'm flying a little blind. It would help to know all of this before I buy my electronics and hardened trans gears.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Here's the complete front end assembled. To recap all the significant parts used here, we have VP steering rack, bell cranks, posts, caster blocks, knuckles, VVD HD shafts and EXO shock tower. As I mentioned before, the turnbuckles will be replaced with titanium links after I get the lengths dialed in. This is so much easier to do with a twist on the turnbuckle as opposed to removing one of the screws, guessing how much to turn the rod ends, reinstalling then checking again, and repeat. Also shown are the RPM lower arms and Traxxas big bore 2661 shocks with Axial Bomber stock rear springs which are 14x70mm and have a spring rate of 3.27 lbs/in IIRC. I'm using DLux's very nice upper shock balls to mount the shocks to the tower. I'm now going to get this all mounted back up to the chassis and get the steering servo installed and linkage connected. Moving right along and everything is going together beautifully!
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I suppose the Wraith trans is similar to an SCX10? What does it take to install? Can you use the Wraith center driveshafts? I'm pretty new at this so I'm flying a little blind. It would help to know all of this before I buy my electronics and hardened trans gears.
The Wraith trans is similar to an SCX10/AX10 style trans but has a longer rear output. It installs with the same 4 screw pattern on the bottom of the skid. You can either try and drill two of the holes through the skid on your own or simply pick up one of the DMG's very nice trans adapter plates for $6 which will allow you to mount the Wraith trans and strengthen the skid with no extra holes needing to be drilled. Yes you can use Axial's WB HD driveshafts, you will just need to assemble them in the length you need. I haven't got that far yet but I will be using Traxxas Maxx shafts as they are stronger, lighter, quieter, and much simpler than the Axial driveshafts. Don't get me wrong, the Axial WB HD shafts are a great choice if space is limited but I like the simpler and lighter design of Traxxas Maxx shafts. I'll post a pic later comparing the two. HTH
Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

I was thinking of the MIP shafts but if Traxxas offers them that's ok too.....I sell both. How do I get a hold of DMG? I'm thinking that lighter, stronger, and smaller without the transfer case would be better for me. I haven't added it all up but if you include the price of a stout trans & transfer case & aluminum motor plate $200 isn't that bad.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Dumb question, does Supershafty make a yeti tranny or are you going to use a Wraith tranny? Why do folks use Wraith transmissions in their builds? Is it simplicity, weight, strength??

All of the above!

Using either a Wraith or SCX10 tranny is a lot more simplified than the stock Bomber/Yeti tranny. Less moving parts, weighs less, easier to tear down and work on. Not to mention, it looks a lot cleaner than the Bomber/Yeti tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

DMG posted up in this thread on page one. Click on his name then click send a private message to DMG. Voila!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:13 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Looks like I found my stopping point for tonight. The front end is back on the chassis, steering servo is mounted and linkage is connected, and I was able to get two of the front turnbuckles dialed for toe in and replaced with Ti links. I'm really happy with how she's going together. It's very apparent to me the time and effort that went into designing this retrofit and the positioning of everything so that the entire front end works well together. Now that the IFS is pretty much done except for the two camber links, I should be able to get the rest finished up tomorrow and get some initial testing done. It looks so damn good just sitting here, I can't wait to see it in action. Much more to come.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 04:15 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

If we switch trannies will the yeti length set of drive shafts still work or do we need buy another set?
thanks
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Got right to it this morning. I got the powertrain installed, driveshafts cut and installed, and rear end installed. Front driveshaft was a little tricky to get measured and cut but not too bad. The Traxxas Maxx shaft was just too big to fit in the tighter spaces up front so I went with the WBHD up front and the Maxx shaft in back. Now it's time to mount the receiver and get everything connected for a system check.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Hurry up
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

No words other than simply badass.

Are you running an interior? Sorry if I missed that but your speedy build doesn't leave time to read.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I'm trying to man. Life keeps throwing distractions at me. Complete builds like this always take me forever anyway because I'm so picky about every little detail like the perfect screw length or fitment issues for other components. One of the things that slowed me down this morning was the clearance of the servo horn and the motor mount plate. You guys will see what I mean when you put one of these together. When it's perfect, it's awesome but it takes some adjusting to get everything in harmony.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I typically don't run interiors due to the fact that I wrench on my rigs way too much to pull 14 screws every time I want to adjust the ESC or check the pinion or adjust the slipper. I can do all that and a lot more without having to pull a single screw or remove anything. If it got to a point where I didn't mess with one for a while because it was just perfect and stayed that way I might install an interior. Actually, they hold in heat and don't allow the motor and ESC to cool as efficiently. Never mind.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Screamer, I just love the look so far. Could you please take a photo of the underside? I'd like to see how that plate attaches to the skid.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I realized I wasn't going to get very far with testing if I didn't have any wheels and tires mounted so I decided that was my next step. I also wanted to get some daylight pics of Qwiksilver as a full roller and I can focus on getting her running the rest of tonight. After getting the wheels and tires mounted I immediately noticed that the front springs are too soft. I'll install the next stiffer rate I have and check the sag again. Bummer, no blue springs up front. I'm running ProLine's regular Faultline wheels in the rear and Faultline 6 lug wheels in the front for a couple reasons. First, I knew I would need an SLW wheel in front to dial in backspacing. Secondly, I wanted matching wheel faces but a touch more silver up front for aesthetic reasons. Inside the PL Flat Iron XLs I have CI deuces wild talls and they fill the tires perfectly. All of this was a breeze to assemble but tedious due to the amount of screws. I ended up settling on 350 SLW hubs in front. I wanted just enough room behind the wheel to clear everything and no more.

So it looks like I'm in the home stretch. I'll get all the wires ran tonight and everything connected to the receiver. Of course I'll have to run it around the house to set steering trim, expos for throttle and steering, make sure I like where the ESC settings are dialed, that sort of thing. It looks like tomorrow will be the first good test and I'm really excited. I didn't think it would take me this long to get the first run in but, life is what happens while your busy making plans. After she's running pretty solid, I'll start worrying about getting the body panels on and window nets and other accessories installed. I'm just really trying to get this thing going so I can get some time behind the wheel. More to come.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Here you go GLHS. This should also put an end to everyone asking, "isn't that just a Yeti?". This is no pot bellied Yeti. This is a lean mean rock bouncing machine that won't get high centered on a gum wrapper.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Nice !
once you move your shocks outwards at the top,
you will increase spring rate greatly !

it takes a monster spring rate to hold the front end up with the shocks leaning that far inwards.
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Do'h! That's right, I totally forgot about the upper shock plate. I'll get that installed and see how she sits. I just got her running and of course she's reversed so time to hook up the castle link and get her switched around. Everything else is working perfect. I should be fully ready to hit the dirt tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the picture Screamer! That actually looks cooler than I was thinking it would. Please take some video when you run it.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" 2-shot Axial RR10 Bomber 150 05-19-2020 12:10 PM
SCREAMER's F-Bomber SCREAMER Axial RR10 Bomber 238 03-12-2016 09:17 PM
Mighty's IFS KOH/Ultra build. "Outcast" Mighty1 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 06-28-2014 07:06 PM