Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Great write up and review Screamer! Tons of solid info with this thread and I'm glad you're enjoying the new rig! This is definitely my next build!
Yes that was a great write up for sure. Very convincing to build a IFS even though i haven't finished mine yet.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Wanted to post a quick comparison pic of the VP shock tower and secondary adjuster plate and DMG's super beefy shock tower. This is a great piece. 3 times as many options for upper shock mounting and all of them are higher up which works with the bomber chassis better than the VP Yeti designed tower. Installing this new tower allowed me to mount longer shocks giving me the same down travel but 3/4 inch more uptravel which will be a big benefit for crawling. At full compression the chassis is just over half an inch from touching the ground which for me is perfect. So I'm back to using Traxxas 2661 3.75 inch long shocks with Axial 14x70mm blue rate springs. Nice work designing this tower Jerry, it's perfect.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Any updates on the spool and traxxas shafts? Trying to decide what locker and front shafts to go with.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

I just reinstalled my VVDs after getting replacements from VP. Two runs in and so far so good, no pin movement this time. The other pin would've definitely fallen out by now so no doubt I just got a bad one. VP took good care of me as they always have. I will run these until they break or until the front end needs to be rebuilt for some reason. As long as they are good there's no reason for me to switch to the BMRC spool and Traxxas CVDs just yet. I ordered those at the same time I ordered everything else and if I would've gotten them in time I would've tried them first because they look cooler and should be very strong. I had my rig running for a week and a half by the time the spool showed up. If/when I do switch, I'll post here. I am curious myself but I've learned before, never fix what isn't broken.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #105

Screamer this thread is epic! Thank you for putting it up and letting us all wander thru it. Can't wait to get my project Bomber started. Just finished my first rig, the Axial Deadbolt. Have been wanting to do something with an IFS since I owned the HPI Hellfire waaaayyy back in the day and have found it thru this thread. Perfect mix of rock racing and climbing ability. Literally can't wait.
rockpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Thanks RP! I'm glad I could spark some inspiration. I've probably built 7-8 rigs since I first got into this hobby (total obsession) less than a year ago and this DMG IFS truck has been hands down THE most fun rig to build and drive. I didn't really ever think it would be possible to build a crawler that can go decently fast and this rig has surprised me with its ability at both ends of the spectrum. I'm fighting so hard to not build a second IFS Bomber. Can't wait to see more of these rigs get built.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Had another great day on the rocks and I thought this page could use another pic. With the new shock tower and longer shocks up front, she's even more plush, just keeps getting better.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #108

Definitely an awesome ride. Again, can't wait to add to my garage. Here's my first build... Looking forward to the next coming soon!
Attached Images

rockpunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Got my new Wraith length custom trailing arms from J.E.C These arms are so nice. Super slick in the rocks, frenched in rod ends, not much heavier than aluminum but it's good weight down low. I'm curious to see if there will be any significant change in high speed suspension performance and jumping. I'll find out soon enough.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

Screamer, why did you decide on shorter TA's over the standard Rr10 length?
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

To me, those Yeti/stock Bomber TAs are just too damn long. I've given them a good honest try on more than one outing and each time I did, I couldn't wait to get them off and install Wraith length. The shorter arms help dramatically improve steering, ground clearance, and break over angle. I was also surprised to see no loss of climbing ability or high speed stability. If you spend most of your time above 10mph I think the stockers might be better. My crawler build "F-Bomber" has even shorter Twin Hammers length trailing arms and it has been a phenomenal crawler. So much so that I decided to tear down my Wraith which used to be my best crawler and do a 1.9 build just for something different.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

I have a feeling I'll be swapping out the lower TA's on one of my Bomber's for the shorter now. Between what experiences you are having and what I've read on Bilinvic's thread, it sounds like its a better route to go. I'll have to wait and see how mine runs once I get them up and running again.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

FYI, I am sticking with the Yeti length T/As on my B1B....I absolutely loved how it performed with the long WB.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
FYI, I am sticking with the Yeti length T/As on my B1B....I absolutely loved how it performed with the long WB.
Thanks for the correction, I'll have to try both out and see how I like/dislike either.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Once you install them and start crawling over the first obstacle, you love them. I would guess that 9 out of 10 people that gave them a try would see no reason to go back to longer TAs. Think about it, Axial didn't want to design and develope tooling for Wraith length TAs when they could just swap the Yeti rearend right over. That one choice saved them a ton of money in manufacturing costs. Who cares if it's supposed to be a scale crawler yet has 15 inch wheelbase and looks like a hillclimber, right. Here's a quick pic to illustrate my point. You have to decide for yourself which one of these looks like it was built correctly.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
...but did you even try Wraith length?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

In comparison, that's a significant difference between the two. I'll definitely have to run both ways to see for myself. Thanks for the reference!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

My other Bomber has BMRC Wraith length T/A's....

I was hoping to get some more testing done this weekend, but USPS delayed my shipment from RPP and now I have to wait until next week.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I know, I meant try Wraith length on the IFS. It's all good man, I know you know what you're doing and don't make any component choices by accident. I'm just messing with you.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #120
Rock Crawler

Love that comparison pic!!
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote

SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" 2-shot Axial RR10 Bomber 150 05-19-2020 12:10 PM
SCREAMER's F-Bomber SCREAMER Axial RR10 Bomber 238 03-12-2016 09:17 PM
Mighty's IFS KOH/Ultra build. "Outcast" Mighty1 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 06-28-2014 07:06 PM