Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

I decided to seperate the twins for a couple reasons. 1. They are so different now that I wanted to avoid some of the confusion I was getting from both of these Bombers being in the same thread. My original intent was to consolidate information but it doesn't work out that way with two simultaneous builds going on in the same post. Lesson learned. 2. This build has evolved so much from what I pulled out of the box and has so many cool things going on that I feel it deserves its own place now. Also considering the amount of work that has been put into the front IFS conversion alone, it deserves its own thread.

First let me say that Jerry from the DMG has been so great to work with over the past month or so. I had a lot of questions and he really walked me through the whole process of what was going on. He asked me what I wanted in each phase of the build and gave me several options and I'm extremely satisfied with the chassis that is headed my way as I write this. I wish I could just fast forward the next 48 hours. I'm glad I'm only 1 state away. If anyone is considering this IFS conversion for their Bomber, a stiffy kit for their Wraith, (I have one of those too) or any one of Jerry's great products that he offers I would highly recommend going for it. You can't get a better product from a better vendor.

The moment I sent the bare chassis to Jerry to work his magic, I started building this truck in my head. I built a Yeti from the ground up a couple months or so ago so I was already pretty familiar with this IFS setup. I know things will be different for the Bomber but I'm glad I have a working knowledge of Axial's IFS. I knew first off she was getting a locker. Qwiksilver was originally intended to be more of a go fast bouncer but her home is in the rough stuff and when it comes to that kind of driving, you just can't beat a locked up diff.

For the front end I'll be using a DLux modified big bearing bulkhead and Axial's Yeti locker. I'll also be running everything VP offers for the front of a Yeti to include their HD VVDs, caster blocks, knuckles, steering rack, bellcranks, posts, and Ti links. I'll also be running the EXO shock tower because it comes in orange to match the knuckles and caster blocks I have. The only difference between the EXO shock tower and the Yeti version is two holes for the body mount on the Yeti tower. I'm also considering using a different front driveline setup that incorporates a one piece spool and outputs from BMRC and Traxxas CVDs. I have these parts on the way so I'll have to decide once they get here which way to go. I will post info and pics of both front driveshafts setups so there's info and options for others looking. The front shocks will be my old favorites, Traxxas big bore 2661 3.75" long shocks. They are butter smooth, leak free, all aluminum and hard ano'd, fit Axial springs perfect, and are less than $20 shipped from anywhere. Can't beat 'em. RPM arms, VP skid, and Axial TiNi kingpins round out the front end.

The rear end will get Axial's new Yeti wide AR60 kit which includes an extra bearing on each side of the driveshafts inside the new wider lockouts. These are going on a DLux modified AR60 housing with LURC FI spool and DLux G10 rear truss. My custom stainless trailing arms, ProLine XT secondary shocks, Traxxas 2662 primary shocks, and DLux rear upper Ti links will all be carried over.

The power plant will consist of a SuperShafty bombproof trans, Castle MMX, Holmes 3500kv Puller Pro, and 56/13 gearing.

That's all the info I have for now but it's a pretty good start I believe. This rig is going to be so much fun to build, tune, and drive that I just can't wait to get started. Many many pics and info to come, and video too hopefully. Stay tuned fellas.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 03-14-2016 at 10:21 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver"

Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 03-16-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

B2B fully independent suspension conversion starts on page 14.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 03-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Awesome write up. Really looking forward to this one. Popcorn in hand waiting for the main attraction.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

This is going to be epic!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know man. I'm psyched that we're both building IFS Bombers. I'm also glad you're building a second Bomber instead of converting your existing scale build. I feel like this blank slate will give you more freedom to do different things that you want. I really think you should finally get one of these fantastic Holmes Puller Pros. They really are awesome.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Going to be awesome! Cant wait!
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I would go with the Blue Monkey setup if the plans are a locked front. Yetis with locked front diffs seem to suffer from frequent premature death of front driveshafts.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Qwiksilver's back in my hands. The build starts right now. I'm going to make a lot of progress today and take many pics as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Very Exciting......
Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Excellent design. 4 screws and the entire front clip is removed for easy maintenance.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thing of beauty right. Expect nothing less from DMG. Gotta go get some more popcorn during intermission.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Glad to see it made there in good shape !

quick hint !
remove the front nose brace (what the hood hinges on)
to have better accesses to working on the front end

enjoy !
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Want!
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I need a bigger hit....can't wait much longer!!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Hit my first speed bump. There's a groove machined into DMG's plate to allow clearance for the bottom of the ring gear when the bulkhead and plate are bolted together. The modified DLux bulkhead I have will only let me install the ring gear on the drivers side and it just so happens to be opposite from the groove in the plate. Obviously this meant I couldn't run the DLux modified big bearing bulkhead, a total bummer, but I'm really glad I sent Jerry a stock bulkhead for mock up purposes because I was able to swap the Axial locker over and continue on. I used two ceramic fast eddy bearings on the pinion so I'll just hope for the best. Back on track now with getting the front end fully assembled.

Edit: I have talked to both Erik from DLux and Jerry at DMG and it would seem that I may have got a bad modified housing. It's also entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong during installation of the pinion and ring gear. I've got another on the way and will assemble everything and either way I'll be glad to know the results. Of course I'll post up my findings after I get this new one built. I'd like to say thank you to both Erik and Jerry for responding so quickly to me and helping me get this figured out. Customer service is everything and both these guys rock.

Edit #2: I got the new bulkhead today and it went together much easier than the first. Gear mesh is the same whether installing the ring gear on the right or left side, this is how they should be. This is the first bad bulkhead out of hundreds so I just got a fluke. Pretty good when you consider less than a .003 possible variance. I want to give another huge thanks to Erik at DLux for getting me taken care of.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 03-22-2016 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'm hoping someone will lay out everything that this kit will come with and what you need to buy. I'm also thinking I may have to build another Bomber.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Ok fellas, this is a part of the assembly that I feel absolutely requires special attention. This is the mating surface between the bottom chassis plate and the bulkhead. I feel it is imperative that you seal this area up with whatever means you choose. I used gray RTV and ran a small bead around the entire bottom of the bulkhead before mounting to the plate. The light gray line you see is the gap that the RTV filled. Jerry put the required bend in the plate itself to match the angle of the bulkhead perfectly but there are other factors that lead to high and low spots that create gaps where dirt and sand WILL find its way in and destroy the bearings and ring and pinion. I'm speaking from experience. The front and rear halves of the bulkhead seal up pretty well with a channel and groove that I just put some grease on to ensure water tightness and double protection from the elements but please do not neglect the flat mating surface between the bulkhead and plate. This simple step will save you money on parts and down time.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
I'm hoping someone will lay out everything that this kit will come with and what you need to buy. I'm also thinking I may have to build another Bomber.
the B1B kit will be posted in the chassis section here soon guys !
a full list of whats in the kit - the parts needed & price will be posted,
along with assembly instructions/pic's

thx
the DmG

the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Dumb question, does Supershafty make a yeti tranny or are you going to use a Wraith tranny? Why do folks use Wraith transmissions in their builds? Is it simplicity, weight, strength??
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote

SCREAMER's IFS Bomber "Qwiksilver" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2-shot's BGR Fabrications Bomber Build - "Bombdiggity" 2-shot Axial RR10 Bomber 150 05-19-2020 12:10 PM
SCREAMER's F-Bomber SCREAMER Axial RR10 Bomber 238 03-12-2016 09:17 PM
Mighty's IFS KOH/Ultra build. "Outcast" Mighty1 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 06-28-2014 07:06 PM