Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My Bomber is smoking motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My Bomber is smoking motors

Anyone running a 12T 550 Traxxas motor in there bomber? I'm using a bomber trans in a custom frame for on road use. Anyone got an idea on the pinion size i should run with the stock 64 tooth spur?
MD ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure on pinion size. Are you still running 2.2 tires? got any pics of you build? curiosity. the Monster trucks I ran with a 12t on 2.8 tires used a 20t pinion.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD ENFORCER View Post
Anyone running a 12T 550 Traxxas motor in there bomber? I'm using a bomber trans in a custom frame for on road use. Anyone got an idea on the pinion size i should run with the stock 64 tooth spur?
I'd start around 12-13. Check temps. Don't exceed 160-175.

Sent from a device in my hand that is smarter than me, and I don't know WTF I'm doing.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #44

I had the same problem.. stock 35T motor with spur and pinion from scx10 deadbolt (56/13). It's fast and fun but it build up a lot of heat and eventually burnt out my stock motor.
And i changed to novac tera crawl 20T, but this time i changed the spur and pinion to 64/10, bavel gear 43/13. I took bashing and some crawling about 15 minutes, and it burnt out to..
Battery is 3s 5000mah.
Now i dont know which T motor i could use for longer bashing and crawling..

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
315RCandScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Maybe this coud be a good motor for you?
It is a Holmes product, and 550 instead of the 540 you burned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holmes-Hobbi...sAAOSwrnNXP3K7
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

if you are gonna bash with it, best invest in a brushless esc/motor...you will never be happy or satisfied with brushed...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdood View Post
Maybe this coud be a good motor for you?
It is a Holmes product, and 550 instead of the 540 you burned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holmes-Hobbi...sAAOSwrnNXP3K7
What's the difference 550 and 540?? Is it just the size or...??
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
if you are gonna bash with it, best invest in a brushless esc/motor...you will never be happy or satisfied with brushed...
Sensored or less??
I'm thinking about brushless to, but if i dont get the right gearing setting, i think i stay on brushed.. i dont wanna burnt out that expensive motor so quickly

Old 09-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

A 550 can is longer, you can go to Holmes Hobbies site and read about the size and weight comparison - it will fit in a Bomber.

550 is what size the extremely popular Traxxas Titan brushed motors are., and they use the same mounting bolt spacing as a 540 can does.

For the sensored vs sensorless question - sensored is the way to go for a Bomber, definitely.

Basically, the Axial Yeti and SCORE Yeti-based Trophy Truck are the only vehicles I MIGHT run a sensorless in, and even then my preference would be sensored.

For a Bomber, the 540 can size in a good quality sensored brushless is the best way to go, generally speaking.

Stay in the 2200-3500kv range - Holmes Puller Pro and Redline Roc412 are the best.

A 3500kv using 3S will be very fast and torquey.

Last edited by durok; 09-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Get a temp gun and check temps regularly so you don't burn them up.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
A 550 can is longer, you can go to Holmes Hobbies site and read about the size and weight comparison - it will fit in a Bomber.

550 is what size the extremely popular Traxxas Titan brushed motors are., and they use the same mounting bolt spacing as a 540 can does.

For the sensored vs sensorless question - sensored is the way to go for a Bomber, definitely.

Basically, the Axial Yeti and SCORE Yeti-based Trophy Truck are the only vehicles I MIGHT run a sensorless in, and even then my preference would be sensored.

For a Bomber, the 540 can size in a good quality sensored brushless is the best way to go, generally speaking.

Stay in the 2200-3500kv range - Holmes Puller Pro and Redline Roc412 are the best.

A 3500kv using 3S will be very fast and torquey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
Get a temp gun and check temps regularly so you don't burn them up.
Thanksfor replying guys...
Im gonna go with roc 412 and castle mmp... and buy temp gun...
I'm still searching about u4rc setup, i hope i can find something that related to my issued...

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315RCandScale View Post
Thanksfor replying guys...
Im gonna go with roc 412 and castle mmp... and buy temp gun...
I'm still searching about u4rc setup, i hope i can find something that related to my issued...
Spend a little more and get the Castle MMX ESC! The MMX has an auxiliary wire that lets you toggle the drag brake on and off (among other things). You can go fast and jump without having the drag brake interfere and then you can turn it on to crawl.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
I'd start around 12-13. Check temps. Don't exceed 160-175.

Sent from a device in my hand that is smarter than me, and I don't know WTF I'm doing.
Well went to a 11 tooth pinion, and no dice. Temps were climbing to high.

Went to a 21 turn traxxas with a 11 tooth pinion, and it running warm, but not over 135-140F.
MD ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #53

I had same problem...
I have now a HH 550 21t and it is fine for me...
Not so warm after 2 hours bashing and crawling
Here is a small video, Vmax is good for me, for what i do

Skudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

OK so bought a Bomber on the 23rd of last month I believe and smoked the motor today. It is all stock minus ssd titanium steering links. Ifor I put in a 27t hh trail master with a 10t pinion will that be okay. The stock motor still works but it was smoking good.
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

My Traxxas 21T motor is still going strong, probably 20 packs of 3S through it with runtimes of over 2 hours each. I am running a 10T pinion, Axial 2 speed kit with the higher top gear, and 43/13 gears in both axles. Low speed control is excellent, top speed is fast enough to bash. If the 21T motor burned out tomorrow I wouldn't bother looking at anything else.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #56
RCC Addict

If you have dropped the gearing lower and are still having heat problems I would highly recommend pulling your transmission and axles apart and check for seized or gritty feeling bearings.
Also check for sufficient grease in the gears, many RTR's came with little to no grease at all!

Brushless tip: The Bomber does very well with a 550 can sensored motor. A bit more torque, More mass to help dissipate heat, and much more efficient operation vs brushed.

I currently run a Pro4HD 3500KV/RX8 combo on 3S in mine and it barely gets warm even when beating the ever loving piss out of it.
Gearing: 12/64 with UD axle gears. (Under drive gears in the axle open up your useful effective gearing range a bit as well, and mesh better than any of the other HD gear options. Highly recommended.)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 AM   #57
Rock Stacker

My brother has a bomber kit. When he first got it he was running a 45t motor with stock gearing on 2s and the motor would start smoking when crawling. He upgraded to a 2-speed trans and 27t motor. He only crawls in low gear and the motor still gets smoking hot at times. Comparatively, I have a wraith with 55t motor stock gearing and it stays ice cold on 2s, barely warm on 3s and I am probably more abusive than he is. running same exact trail. Why is the bomber having problems and the wraith is not?
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Is his rig heavier than yours?
Try removing the motor from the truck, then rolling it back and forward with the trans still connected and make sure it rolls freely and with no binding.
If he's smoking motors and he's not got any binding anywhere, he needs to gear down.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Default My Bomber is smoking motors

I am about to smoke my motor. it's whatever comes in the rtr. when crawling, applying torque and getting through technical stuff, it will smoke pretty predictably. If I am trail driving or in a faster-pace more wide open area it's all good. but if the tires get spinning and i'm real technical crawling I need to watch it that I don't overheat the thing.

3s battery stock rtr motor. It's on the way out though. I'm thinking 3500kv brushless with some fancy esc. Or maybe 2700kv. Thoughts? Anything to watch out for that I'm not gonna see when I'm researching this? Mostly crawling. Has to be solid crawler, but go fast once in a while is fun. Dual purpose kinda deal.

Last edited by kennydoggins; 04-02-2017 at 10:02 AM.
kennydoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoggins View Post
I am about to smoke my motor. it's whatever comes in the rtr. when crawling, applying torque and getting through technical stuff, it will smoke pretty predictably. If I am trail driving or in a faster-pace more wide open area it's all good. but if the tires get spinning and i'm real technical crawling I need to watch it that I don't overheat the thing.

3s battery stock rtr motor. It's on the way out though. I'm thinking 3500kv brushless with some fancy esc. Or maybe 2700kv. Thoughts? Anything to watch out for that I'm not gonna see when I'm researching this? Mostly crawling. Has to be solid crawler, but go fast once in a while is fun. Dual purpose kinda deal.
That's exactly whats happening with my brother's rig. He started with a 45t and now he has a 27t geared lower. And hes only running 2s. My Wraith on 3s runs almost cold. One thing we were discussing is that when he built the truck, from the beginning, his forward/reverse was opposite. Switched it on the controller an now the direction is OK, but it is faster in reverse. everything he tried with the electronics did not fix the issue. Is it possible this could be related?

He broke an axle the other day and is going to flip the ring gears in the diffs to try to fix this problem. Ill report back on whether or not it makes a difference.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote

My Bomber is smoking motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why am I smoking motors all of a sudden? Sethmetal Axial Wraith 27 02-04-2013 07:03 PM
Losi NC-Running Hot & Smoking motors Davey Newbie General 5 01-26-2012 10:56 AM
Options for Overheating (Smoking!) Motors .bg. Electronics 24 05-25-2011 03:04 PM