Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Steel skid plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Steel skid plate?

Been waiting for someone to come out with a steel skid plate. Just saw this one. Looks interesting. Only three screws securing it though. Suspect.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152022398348
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steel skid plate?

Thats pretty cool. BPC was supposed to be working on one. Barndog was willing to work with me on designing one and I totally dropped the ball. I need to PM him again or maybe he'll post up here. We need a stainless skid bad.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Thats pretty cool. BPC was supposed to be working on one. Barndog was willing to work with me on designing one and I totally dropped the ball. I need to PM him again or maybe he'll post up here. We need a stainless skid bad.
A real SS skid plate, 3mm thick (not a protection plate) would be nice to lower cog, best with drillings for the scx/ax-based trannies. Some more points to mount the links could be realized too. Thatīs what Iīm looking for ...

Last edited by YJ-Mudder; 04-04-2016 at 11:41 PM.
YJ-Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm up for the task, just need to get a hold of a skid to make a template. As for stainless, I don't see the benefit versus mild steel when you consider the cost and possible performance difference in performance. Iron in the dirt will embed and rust the stainless anyhow.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ok, here's what we need. A boatside style skid that not only covers the Bomber skid but wraps the side frame rails too for a smooth transition and total coverage. The panel mounts on the side of the Bomber chassis are inset so either 2 bends or spacers of some sort would have to be used. This skid mounts with two screws on each side, four total, for a completely smooth bottom. We also need it to bend up in the front like this Wraith BPC skid so rocks can't catch any edges on approach. This stainless skid from BPC was $35 so I don't think it's prohibitively expensive and I've been running this one for almost 8 months now. No corrosion of any kind and no gouges or deep scratches either. It slides right over rocks and is bulletproof compared to aluminum.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Do the front and rear raw edges cause grief by hooking up on stuff? How thick is that, maybe 22 ga?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what gauge it is, it's exactly 1 millimeter thick. No the edges don't grab. I was pretty close to doing a tummy tuck on my Wraith until I tried one of these. After the first run I decided not to. This skid just glides right across everything.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Last I talked to bruce at bpc few weeks ago, he was changing the bottom since bomber skid isnt flat. His is also going to have it mount to outside sliders and will include a drill bit to drill new holes. Not sure if I like that.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Steel skid plate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LG FAB Axial Wraith Stainless steel Skid Plate!!! LGFAB Chassis and Suspension 8 08-05-2016 12:14 PM
Measurements for stock AX10 Transmission mounting plate/skid plate Apoch Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-09-2012 07:53 AM
Steel or aluminium axil skid plate Skier Venom Creeper 9 06-07-2011 01:07 PM