Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT

This is my Bomber, it has shiney parts. Let's admire for a moment:

While shiney, it is not special.

How exactly does one build a super special Bomber? With this:

That's right, by turning it into a super awesome DMG B1B. This may be the first kit delivered with the new DMG shock tower, I don't know but I will pretend it is.

#4 baby! Hand numbered by Jerry, exclusively is cool.

Say hello to my Yeti, it also has shiney parts. Now say goodbye to it because it will be sacrificed to fulfill my end of the B1B agreement.

Normally I would have waited until I had most of the parts in hand before starting a build thread but this is too cool not to share. More details will come as the boxes show up at my house.

Stayed tuned for more IFS Bomber goodness.

Last edited by svt923; 04-05-2016 at 06:07 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT

Congratulations and welcome to the exclusive IFS Bomberhood.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've been waiting for someone to come out with a modified shock tower. It looks promising.
nfcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Awesome. I get to learn and enjoy another IFS build. Loved my Yeti but the IFS rigs using the DMG conversion seem to be the best engineered vehicle to handle both worlds.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

IFS BOMBERS are taking over. Ahhhhhhh!!!!
Looking forward to your build thread.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Kool, another B1B build. I'll have 003 tomorrow.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks to all, I am excited for this one as well. This thread should be fun and informative, like an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy but with more toy trucks.

While I wait for Amain and RPP to deliver boxes of happiness to my home, I can share the good stuff that will be stolen from my Yeti for this build:

-SSD wide diamond axle build with Axial HD standard ratio gears and LURC FI spool
-UC Fab trailing arms and Dlux titanium upper links
-MIP rear shaft
-RPM front arms
-STRC c hubs
-SSD knuckles
-Vanquish steering rack and bellcranks
-Axial steel turnbuckles with Revo rod ends

Electronics stolen from the Yeti include:
- MMP with CC BEC
- Savox 1268 with Axial servo horn
- Airtronics receiver (so I can use my ultra bad ass M12 radio)

I will be stealing parts from other trucks as this build goes along too. Pillaging is fun, I now understand why the vikings and pirates did it.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got to check out Jerry's B1B IFS machine at Goat hill here in KC over the weekend. The thing is AWESOME. As well as the B2B, I will be following your build closely. Fairly envious of you guys. I am still thinking about it, I might have to join the Bomberhood someday.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You are seriously afflicted, sir. I'll be keeping an eye on you from down the road...
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Waiting to build this awesome truck is killing me. Stupid UPS.

I have found a few things to do which keep me occupied while I wait. The B1B already has a set of Axial Wildpeak tires mounted on some SSD steel wheels ready to go but I also had a set of unused Bomber tires waiting for a purpose on my shelf. So I worked on giving them some new life.

The tires were removed from the stock wheels by lounging in a bucket with some acetone while I went to work. After they were off, I went to town with the side cutters to get some more tread compliance.

In case you were wondering, a stock Axial KR2 weighs 5.8 oz per tire. With the center ribs trimmed out, they are down to 5.3 oz or about an 8.5% reduction in rotating weight. They will be refilled with some DW foams and glued on to a pair of CI 1.5 inch 6 bolt wheels. I'm curious on what the weight reduction of the complete package will be.

I'm also working on a nifty slipper clutch mod that I hope comes out as intended.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Off to a nice start, updates?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Off to a nice start, updates?
The last part I'm waiting on should be delivered today, then building can commence.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Lucky me, my daughter, son, and wife all decided to take a nap this afternoon so I got in some rare daylight wrenching.

I built my fresh bomber chassis last night. We all know what a Bomber looks like at this point, right? Good, moving on.

Now for the fun part: take a brand new chassis and hack some pieces off it. The faint of heart may want to look away.

Choppy, choppy

Now we attach the wonderfully made DMG upper and lower front braces. The front of the chassis is incredibly rigid at this point.

Also installed was the nifty hidden servo mount. Note the small amount of clearance with the battery tray which is at about half of its maximum width. The B1B says no fat chicks, I mean packs, are getting into this club.

That's all for now, hope to get back on it after the kids are in bed.

Last edited by svt923; 05-18-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

OK, I'm back and building at the glacial pace you have come to expect and love (I'll assume it is loved, if not ).

If you don't know, the B1B requires a SCX10 transmission. My Deadbolt was so gracious to give it's for the greater good. You may also recall that my Yeti is giving the majority of the parts for the B1B, this includes a Robinson Racing slipper. I'm determined to use this because:

1: It is a quality, American made part
2: It is practically indestructible
3: I already own it

Now, the RRP slipper kind of fits the SCX10 transmissions equipped with dual disk slippers but it rides really far away from the motor plate. This is obviously not ideal because it is harder on the top shaft and the pinion would have to ride on the end of the motor shaft. Luckily, it wasn't difficult to make it fit properly.

First, break out a file and extend the flat spot on the top shaft down by 7mm.

Reinstall the top shaft to start slipper assembly. The only item you need to buy is a 5x7x1.5mm spacer. Slide the spacer on first.

Now you can install the RRP slipper according to the instructions.

And there is my completed transmission equipped with a 56t RRP slipper, HR lightened steel gears, and a Holmes 1 piece extended output stuffed into a eBay aluminum housing (got to save money somewhere, right?). If you are wondering, the stock gear cover does still fit.

All for now. Stay tuned.

Last edited by svt923; 05-18-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm finally getting back to working on my B1B after far too long but at least I bought some cool stuff for it.

One of the things I have been wrestling with was the shocks. If you have read any of the other B1B build threads, you can see there is no consensus on the front shocks. Everyone has used different brands and different lengths so I'm going to add further confusion.

There were a few things I wanted out of my shocks:

1. 12mm bores - These trucks are heavy and need the extra damping capacity
2. Threaded bodies - Preload clips are so 1998
3. Actual shock cap bushings - They make such a difference in smooth shock movement

Bilinvic was able to get good suspension travel out of the front end by using Yeti front shocks so that inspired me to look for 3.75 inch front shocks and 4 inch rear shocks. So after much searching, I decided on......

Associated V2 big bores. These are the rear shock from the RC10T5M/SC5M (12x36B/35S, part #91499) next to a stock Bomber shock. I have used Associated shocks before so I know they are super easy to build and quite smooth. Bonus: these actually have a little more travel than the stock shocks while being the same length.

The front shocks are rear shocks from a RC10B5 (12x31B/27.5S, part # 91498 ). You can see the length next to a Yeti front shock.

There is a problem fitting the larger diameter shocks on the Yeti front end; the spring/spring cup rubs the front driveshaft. The simple solution is install really long shock ends (this is the way Proline shows to install Prospec shocks on the Yeti) but I really didn't want to change my shock length by that much. The answer (as always) is the Dremel.

I ground enough material off the front of the shock mounting area to fit 3 mm worth of spacers behind the ball on the shock end. This pushed the shock forward enough to give plenty of clearance between the spring cup and driveshaft.

There they are all mounted up. The springs are Losi low frequency reds from my parts bin. Since these are common big bore buggy rear springs, there are lots of for suspension tuning.

Front travel is good, I will see what tweaks are needed as it comes together.

Some building has occured since the last update (as you can see). Through the magic of photos and the internet, it will appear I completed things really fast. Now I just have to take the pictures.

Oh, the wheels and tires just got delivered yesterday. I'm really excited for them.

Last edited by svt923; 05-18-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

As promised, pictures to give the illusion of progress.

Axial WB HD shaft for the front, it is the shaft from my Yeti kit that never came out of the box.

Trans mounted to the DMG plate mounted to the skid

Power!

Standard rear end parts needed to contain the awesomeness.

Interior installed and fuel cell painted

Mangled up some aluminium to make this electronics mounting plate, there is enough room for the MMP and Airtronics receiver. Everything is removable with 2 screws.

I'm exhausted from pretending I did all that in the past day. Time for me to take a well deserved break.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

So I have this bad habit of starting projects then finding new ones before finishing the old ones. I have let down this truck by getting distracted by shiny new things. Whatever, the B1B doesn't care because feeling are for lesser machines.

The recent IFS builds have gotten me back on track and progress has continued.

After much searching, trial, error, more searching, more trial, and more error, I have found proper front springs for my Associated shocks. The answer was Durango 65mm big bore springs in the blue flavor. Now the front end can actually support it's own weight which probably a good thing but I'm no suspension expert.

The front has been bolted to the chassis and I snapped a quick pic for proof of existence.

The rear has been bolted up as well. I noticed that one of the SSD axle shafts has a slight bend in it which is not unexpected. The plan is to take the B1B out for some shenanigans this weekend so I'll either destroy the axle shaft further or magically bend it back to perfectly straight. Big question is to do the simple fix of SSD HD shafts or go all out for an entirely new rear axle setup.

One big change that has occurred since the last update is the ESC. Gone is the MMP and a Graupner Genius 180A ESC has taken it's place. The Graupner is an 1/8 ESC with a built in BEC equivalent to the ever popular Castle one stuffed into a case only slightly larger than a MMP. Since it was sitting in my box of electronics, why not throw it in there? Overkill is good.

Electronics have all been tested and all is good. I was reminded on how spectacularly awful the steering is on the Yeti front end. Steering endpoints needed to be turned down to about 65 in both directions.

You can see the new ESC just peeking through the battery tray. That wire ziptied to the battery tray allows me to hook up the programming box just by popping the hood; laziness win!

All that is left is wheels, tires, and some stickers then getting pictures that weren't taken on my kitchen counter while eating breakfast and getting ready for work.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Awesome bro! I can't believe I missed this thread when i was searching through for Bomber IFS conversions. Your posts made me chuckle
Can't wait to see the end product!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Awesome bro! I can't believe I missed this thread when i was searching through for Bomber IFS conversions. Your posts made me chuckle
Can't wait to see the end product!
Thanks, your build was one of the ones that got me back on this.

I have to inject some entertainment value to my threads when its 9 months in between posts.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Glad Im not the only one who gets side tracked with new stuff and projects get left behind for months. Lol
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

A Super Special Bomber Build by SVT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me pick out some tires for my 1/8th Scale SVT Raptor build DeoreDX Tires and Wheels 3 02-19-2014 12:23 PM
svt raptor scale build King James Paint and Body 14 11-27-2011 09:36 AM