Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Broken axial universal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

Default Broken axial universal

I installed a set of axial universal and drove around on my grass for a few minutes before I noticed one of them was broken. Something I did wrong? Flaw in the part? Most expensive 5 minutes I have had in a while. Probably no chance Axial will help me out with this?

Chad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Broken axial universal

Do you have your end points set? Maybe turning to far putting them in a bind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lv-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

End points don't matter with those steering arms, they max out at 50*. What DOES matter however is if the small cross pin in the "u-joint" was centered or not. If it's off center too far it will slip out of one ear and twist the opposite ear of the inner right off looking a lot like that picture.

Want to never worry about shafts again? And I mean never. Get these. I've been trashing on a set for almost 2 months running an hour or more every day binding the shiat out of them and they're still solid.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
End points don't matter with those steering arms, they max out at 50*. What DOES matter however is if the small cross pin in the "u-joint" was centered or not. If it's off center too far it will slip out of one ear and twist the opposite ear of the inner right off looking a lot like that picture.

Want to never worry about shafts again? And I mean never. Get these. I've been trashing on a set for almost 2 months running an hour or more every day binding the shiat out of them and they're still solid.
Wouldn't this be a manufacturer defect if they come preassembled? I've got a set that I've been using for a month or so on a Bomber setup for U4. They're solid. No issues to speak of.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad84 View Post
I installed a set of axial universal and drove around on my grass for a few minutes before I noticed one of them was broken. Something I did wrong? Flaw in the part? Most expensive 5 minutes I have had in a while. Probably no chance Axial will help me out with this?

Does any part of the shaft touch the c hub when it spins? Picture makes it look real tight in there. Not familiar with that c hub. Almost looks like it was spinning, touched the aluminum, and got ripped off!

Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Good to know!
lv-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Contact axial and see what they say. Tell them your running aftermarket aluminum chubs and knuckles that only go 50 degrees so it's not from over steering them. If they wont replace it, dlux sells them individually.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
Wouldn't this be a manufacturer defect if they come preassembled? I've got a set that I've been using for a month or so on a Bomber setup for U4. They're solid. No issues to speak of.

If they catch the opposing ear enough they'll hold up for a long time without breaking. If they dont... well you see how that ends up. I'm not saying that is the actual cause in this instance, there was a bad batch of axles a couple years ago but they've been good since.

I make sure the pin is centered on all my universals prior to installation.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If they catch the opposing ear enough they'll hold up for a long time without breaking. If they dont... well you see how that ends up. I'm not saying that is the actual cause in this instance, there was a bad batch of axles a couple years ago but they've been good since.

I make sure the pin is centered on all my universals prior to installation.
I think I understand what you're saying now! Does this need to be checked often or is all good as long as the pins start centered?

Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
I think I understand what you're saying now! Does this need to be checked often or is all good as long as the pins start centered?
Center them prior to install and you're set.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

They are VP C hubs and knuckles. I shot axial an email, be interesting to see what they say. Nothing seems to bind, I checked it for binding before I drove it.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Axial Universals.... Mysteriously breaking....
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

From my experience Axial dose not respond to emails, after a week of waiting I call them and they found my email and got it taken car of in less then 5 min.
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #14

I emailed them and sent pictures. They got right back to me and said the parts are back ordered but they will send a new set when they come back in stock. I put a set of XVDs in it for now, they are working good so far.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

After reading what dlux posted, and yours looking like the same break in the thread, I really hope this is just a random fluke and not another bad batch going around.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
After reading what dlux posted, and yours looking like the same break in the thread, I really hope this is just a random fluke and not another bad batch going around.
I'd hope it's a fluke too for everyone else's sake. I'm not worried about it for my rigs since I run dlux BFA shafts one one rig, old axial universals in another and VP vvd's in another. Breakage isn't much of a concern.

Broken axial universal - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to replace broken Universal Driven Dogbone msly Redcat Crawlers 6 03-18-2017 08:01 PM
Broken universal? How to fix in a bind Jfrisch01 Vaterra Ascender 3 06-25-2015 02:57 PM
wraith universal broken....2 thumbs up to axial costumer service! Thanks Scott!! mudn_1 Axial Wraith 7 02-27-2012 10:07 AM
Wraith Universal Broken JasonS9 Axial Wraith 22 01-13-2012 11:14 AM
Broken Universal Joints Common? 4low Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 01-13-2010 06:49 AM