Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber bounces from drop!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #21

Default Re: Bomber bounces from drop!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
That should help you a ton. I have the longer ones but others use the shorter ones and have good results.
Im getting somewhere! I refilled the shocks and they rebound an 1/8". Put the wheels back on and did a drop test of 2ft. Bounces up but only 2 inches. Here's what I did. I put a stack of magazines in the chassis( a couple of lbs) and did a drop test again, and no bounce! So what's different? Without the magazines when I am holding the car and then rest on the ground, the shocks do not shrink in. With the couple extra lbs, holding the car then resting it on ground, the shocks shrink. The chassis moves a little closer to the ground level. I am guessing this is what you want. So the question is do I change my oil from 35 to 15 or lower, or do I change the springs to softer or both? I have proline mediums for bottom and greens for tops on the shocks.
tinyT1m7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Right now you're oversprung so change to softer springs first. You want the shocks to be at least slightly compressed when sitting level, how much really depends on your preference. Again, look at NitritedCarbide's video and you can see the body lift up before the wheels. A spring assortment is would be a good investment if you think you're going to keep these shocks.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #23

I will buy some most definitely. So changing oil weight only affects rebound speed not actually adding or taking away resistance force.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you've got the right idea. The springs support the weight of the car and allow the axle to travel up and down. Springs alone would continue to oscillate after each compression so shocks filled with oil are use to dampen that motion. Here's a YouTube video on how engineers first solved the problem of springs and shocks. I remember having watched this or something similar in my engineering dynamics class in college. It's old and corny but helped me better understand how the two work together. And no, it wasn't a new release at the time I was in college.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

That's a great video.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyT1m7 View Post
That's how I want my bombers suspension! What proline shocks are those and what springs? Could I achieve what you have with non dual shocks?
I went thru a lot of trial and error over the past 6-7 months with this Bomber, huge learning curve as this is the first RC Ive had after a 20 year hiatus.

Shocks are ProLine- Slash front, XL rear.
Off the top of my head I dont remember the spring combo. Played around with different combinations until I got the droop that I was after.
Oils are 17wt rear and 10wt in the front.
At first I had 30wt all around, with the dual setup it was too much.
My thinking was double the dampening capability so cut the wt in half basically.
My rig is on the heavy side (atleast 9 pounds min.)
lots of VP aluminum, 2-speed, brushless, beeftubes, mip driveshafts, etc etc etc.

I am no longer running vented wheels (VP methods)
I will do another drop vid with the current setup (with specs) soon as I find time to finish rebuilding my axles.
NitritedCarbide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #27

Sounds good.

Tags
bounce, landing, shocks, suspension

Bomber bounces from drop!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM
Truck rear end bounces up that.minitrucker Newbie General 1 12-08-2010 11:49 AM