Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Suggestions for Wheels/tires/foams and shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Suggestions for Wheels/tires/foams and shocks

Thanks to suggestions on this site I have ordered a bunch of parts for my bomber build . here is the current list I have:

MMP/Tekin ROC 412 3100 KV-installed
Castle BEC Pro-installed
Metal suspension links-installed
metal steering links
Savox Sa1230 SG servo-installed
MIP Drivelines-installed
Axial Universals-installed
Kit sway bar-in the mail
UD HD gears for rear-in the mail
Standard HD gears for front-in the mail
grip fab SS spools-in the mail
Vanquish Motor mount-in the mail
Vanquish Can mount-in the mail

I'm still running the stock rtr wheels and tires and stock rtr shocks. I'm thinking those are where I should focus my attention next. unless I've overlooked something in my drive terrain? I'm curious if aluminum wheels are really needed are more just for bling? I want to trail and bash my rig, but hopefully still be able to do a little crawling. hill climbs, jumping, and bashing will be 90% with crawling being 10%. I see that everyone recommends crawler innovations foams but I'm not sure if I need deuces wild our double deuce? any suggestions for wheel/tire/foam would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards proline powestrokes for a shock upgrade but I'm not sure if I should get short course or the xts? or a different shock all together? any input is appreciated.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suggestions for Wheels/tires/foams and shocks

If your doing 90% bashing then Deuces Wild foams are for you. As far as a good tire you'll get the phone book of recommendations. I like ProLine TSLs, PitBull Rockbeasts, ProLine Flat Iron XLs, Axial Falken Wildpeaks m/t, and Axial BFGoodrich Krawlers. For wheels, I think you should stay lightweight since you're looking at higher speed driving. Gear Head Delrin beadlocks or ProLine Faultline 6 lugs are both great wheels that hold beads like a vice and are easily compatible with any tire.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
If your doing 90% bashing then Deuces Wild foams are for you. As far as a good tire you'll get the phone book of recommendations. I like ProLine TSLs, PitBull Rockbeasts, ProLine Flat Iron XLs, Axial Falken Wildpeaks m/t, and Axial BFGoodrich Krawlers. For wheels, I think you should stay lightweight since you're looking at higher speed driving. Gear Head Delrin beadlocks or ProLine Faultline 6 lugs are both great wheels that hold beads like a vice and are easily compatible with any tire.
Thanks! I really like those delrin beadlocks I think I'll go for those. Do you have any input on shocks? Should I go for a shorter sc shock?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you dont mind gluing, look into the Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt wheels. Slw hub compatible, durable and super light weight. I second Deuces wild as it is what i run in my race/bash bomber
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
If you dont mind gluing, look into the Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt wheels. Slw hub compatible, durable and super light weight. I second Deuces wild as it is what i run in my race/bash bomber
I like the look of those wheels, and they are definitely affordable, but God do I hate gluing tires.....
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, if you're going to be doing most of your driving above 5mph, I'd say the Powerstroke Slash fronts or ProSpec Slash fronts are the way to go. Use Powerstroke or ProSpec Slash rears in the rear when running stock length trailing arms. If you switch to shorter trailing arms you may need to experiment with rear shock length the way I had to to find the right ride height. You can use Powerstroke XTs as secondary damping shocks in the rear most mounting position or as the only shock.

Edit: Here's the best pic I have of my dual rear shock setup. This was when I ran Traxxas 2662 big bores and ProLine XTs in the rear. Now I'm running Kyosho blue velvets with the same XTs. Dual ProLine Powerstrokes or even ProSpecs and Powerstrokes would look badass and there should be plenty of room.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 08-18-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

That is a sweet looking Rig. Thanks for all the input! I just read through your IFS build, lots of good info in there too!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
One other question in regards to the foams. I'm Really leaning toward the Proline flat iron xl, but do they require a different CI foam than the standard 2.2 closed cell being that they are XL size?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes, you'll want to get CI 2.2 Deuces Wild Talls and then cut off the outer ribs. That's exactly what I run and they fit perfect and give great support and traction.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I ordered the CI Deuces wild tall foams. Why do you recommend cutting off the outer ribs?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Only because they were a bit snug and those outer ribs really squared off the tire profile. With the ribs trimmed off, the foams fit like a glove. Trimming the outer ribs is also supposed to increase forward bite. I couldn't compare because I trimmed them before I ever ran them.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info, your guidance has really helped with my build. Can't wait to give her a full run this weekend!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I really just want everyone to enjoy this hobby as much as I do. If I can help someone achieve their goals with a build or modification, it makes my day. the only thing I cant stand is people coming on here with their ugly, pissed off, ignorant, abrasive, and downright rude attitudes. we should all be here to help each other enjoy the hobby to its fullest not to try and win arguments or make others feel shamed. Constructive positive criticism is always welcome. Defensive, insecure, retaliatory, immature, name calling and personal attacks have no place here. If you have a problem with an individual, PM them and work it out, simple. Don't act like a big bad E Thug from behind the safety of your keyboard saying things you know you'd never utter in public because you know you'd get laid out. There are so many good people here and there's also a handful of bad apples. I try to contribute something with every comment and I'm sure I've fallen short many times but my goal is always to help. As long as I continue getting the same type of feedback I've received from you and many others, I can feel good about my contribution to the community. Rant over.

I'm excited for you Adam, please update your build thread with your thoughts on your rigs new found abilities.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

the wheels are the last thing I'm waiting on to complete it. coming in the mail today Everything else is in and installed, thing is a beast, but the softness of the stock tires and foams definitely needs improvement. With the power it has now the tires fold over and it rolls easier than it should. This is an awesome rig! might have to sell my yeti xl and build another one.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, if you're going to be doing most of your driving above 5mph, I'd say the Powerstroke Slash fronts or ProSpec Slash fronts are the way to go. Use them on all 4 corners. You can use Powerstroke XTs as secondary damping shocks in the rear most mounting position.

Edit: Here's the best pic I have of my dual rear shock setup. This was when I ran Traxxas 2662 big bores and ProLine XTs in the rear. Now I'm running Kyosho blue velvets with the same XTs. Dual ProLine Powerstrokes or even ProSpecs and Powerstrokes would look badass and there should be plenty of room.
Cool pic ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What-where's the pic?????
What is to keep you from running the 5" long Yeti/Score rear shocks on this thing if you're gonna bash? Set it up with a normal ride height and some good sway bars. Mega droop keeps the tires on the gound through rough stuff.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Powerstroke Slash fronts will be too short in the rear. I've tried, had to switch to Slash rears.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
Powerstroke Slash fronts will be too short in the rear. I've tried, had to switch to Slash rears.
I'm running them all the way around right now, but it definitely limits the rear travel. I'm not sure if ill keep them all the way around or switch to the slash rears.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

It'll work to som degree, but the skid sits lower than the rear axle. I tend to run soft springs, static sag around 1/3-1/2 compression on shocks. Might look more right woth stiffer springs and/or more preload. But it'll still limit rear suspension to some degree, rear axle truss hitting the cage. I run Slash front length up front though
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
What is to keep you from running the 5" long Yeti/Score rear shocks on this thing if you're gonna bash? Set it up with a normal ride height and some good sway bars. Mega droop keeps the tires on the gound through rough stuff.
Nothing by at all, that's another good option and will give you a ton of travel, maybe too much.

Edit: Guys, I need to apologize for recommending Slash front length shocks for the rear. I was going by Maslin's build (which everyone should read through) and was wrong about the shocks he ran in the rear. Turns out Slash fronts in the front and rears in the rear is the ideal setup for stock length trailing arms. I will edit my other post as well. Also, thank you to the others that have posted their setups. I think we need a suspension sticky at the top of this page next to the motor sticky. Great suspension on this, and any RC for that matter, changes everything.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 08-18-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Cool pic ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What-where's the pic?????
I run Yeti rears on my RR10, simply cause its what i had laying around, but it is limit strapped to keep things under control.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggestions for Wheels/tires/foams and shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom Ridge Line tires and Vanquish blue foams... Any suggestions? Please!:) trvcrch83 Axial Wraith 0 04-26-2013 10:31 PM
Suggestions for 1.55 or 1.9 Mud Tires/Foams/BL's alexchen86 Tires and Wheels 2 07-24-2012 10:33 PM