Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber Kit Build Project Planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bomber Kit Build Project Planning

So after doing a lot of research in this forums and obsessing over the build threads I've seen in here I think I've decided that the Axial Bomber should be my 2nd RC. I have owned the YXL for roughly a year and have loved the hobby every since. The bomber seems like a great rig to dabble my feet in crawling while still maintaining the go-fast ability that I think I enjoy most. Harley's IG videos of him slamming the bomber over rocks and jumping it off rock faces coupled with some of you guys' running videos is a large part of why I decided the bomber would be a good fit for me.

Due to my lack of knowledge/experience I'm hoping I can get some guidance as to whether or not I'm on the right track with my planned purchases to go along with the kit. This will be a slow build for me as I am busy with classes and work (and a lack of money ha) but I'm wanting to do it right and continually improve on the rig until it performs/looks as I want it to.

So here's the breakdown:

I'm wanting to run the bomber as a go-fast RC that still maintains some capability of crawling and rock bouncing. Due to my only experience being the YXL I'm not really sure what I will enjoy with a 1/10th scale but based on my experiences I think this is how I'll end up using it most.

Here are my inital planned upgrades:

* Bomber Kit
* HH Puller Pro 3500kv
* Mamba Monster X ESC
* HH HV500 servo (using the X's internal BEC to power it)
* TX/RX - I haven't decided this one yet. I read in another thread that the X has the option for on-the-fly drag brake adjustment so I'm assuming I need a TX capable of that? If so, any budget friendly suggestions?
* Vanquish Servo Mount - I notice people tend to run the vanquish servo mount but not the vanquish clamps (typically other aftermarket brands) is there any reason to this?
* CI foams - I have read and looked through the threads discussing this but haven't taken the time to decide for myself which ones would fit my needs best. There seems to be a lot of variation on people's preferences which is expected with the versatility of the bomber but definitely adds a challenge in deciding for myself!
* Fast Eddy Bearings
* DMG spare relocator

Here are the upgrades I plan to do as I go:

* Incision 2.2 KMC Grenade wheels - It sounds like the hubs that come with these will be fine for my use without any rubbing?
* Vanquish Chubs/knuckles
* Aluminum motor mount/plate
* Eventually would love to upgrade to Vanquish/SSD axles
* Traxxas slash Powerstroke Shocks front/rear - It seems like the bomber sits too high for much high speed bashing and these shocks seem to be a well-liked approach to lowering it and improving handling. Not completely sold on doing this yet but I'm adding it as an option for any feedback!

This is all I can think of right now (I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting) but I think this will give me a great start and allow me to plan for future purchases. Is there anything y'all would suggest I change/add? From what I've read the Puller Pro 3500 should be a great motor for my go-fast needs on 3s while still being good for crawling. Thanks everyone for any and all suggestions!

Last edited by bbos12; 09-19-2016 at 06:41 PM.
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Bomber Kit Build Project Planning

Looks good to me. Everything that you have listed sounds like a great starting point.
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Other than the steering servo (Hitec 7950) and esc (Mamba Max Pro) you just described my Bomber!

I think you will be very happy with your choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I just picked up the CI Deuces Wild foams since they seem to be more of the basher type foam that still provides good crawling support. The closed cell foam is also a plus in case of water.

I was looking at the Mamba X as well and was wondering if the internal BEC would suffice. Removing the extra wiring of the BEC would be nice and the 8amp service does sound like it should be plenty. The aux channel for drag brake does sound really appetizing.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The internal BEC on the MMX is more than sufficient. I run two of them without external BECs and they are rock solid performers.

Bbos, everything in your list looks great. For TX/RX I'd suggest the Spektrum DX4C. On RPP it's just under $100 for the combo and besides the RTR inclusions, the DX4C is all I've ever ran. It's very easy to pick up and use without having to decipher instructions written by Chinese engineers. The receiver is also waterproof just in case. Good luck.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
Other than the steering servo (Hitec 7950) and esc (Mamba Max Pro) you just described my Bomber!

I think you will be very happy with your choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Sammy,

Awesome to hear! What do you primarily use your bomber for? Looks awesome! And the 7950 was probably my next servo if I didn't or don't get the HH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
The internal BEC on the MMX is more than sufficient. I run two of them without external BECs and they are rock solid performers.

Bbos, everything in your list looks great. For TX/RX I'd suggest the Spektrum DX4C. On RPP it's just under $100 for the combo and besides the RTR inclusions, the DX4C is all I've ever ran. It's very easy to pick up and use without having to decipher instructions written by Chinese engineers. The receiver is also waterproof just in case. Good luck.

Screamer,

The DX4C seems to be liked by a lot of people! Is there a need for a rx with more channels than provided with it for the bomber or does it tend to stay pretty cool? On my YXL with a BEC and fans I'm out of space to add anything else!

Love your builds by the way. Any word if DMG's IS bomber will be available anytime soon? I don't think I'm experienced enough to tackle that on my own yet but id love to see what people did with it!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Bbos. I just like having 4 channels in case I want to add anything down the road, lights, winch controllers, etc.. It's not that much more than a 2 or three channel setup and I always overbuild where I can.

I know Jerry (DMG) is incredibly busy right now getting ready for Crawlapalooza 10 which I have the pleasure of attending this year. After the dust settles, and some well deserved rest, I'm sure he'll be right back at it making more great parts for us.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Thanks Bbos. I just like having 4 channels in case I want to add anything down the road, lights, winch controllers, etc.. It's not that much more than a 2 or three channel setup and I always overbuild where I can.

I know Jerry (DMG) is incredibly busy right now getting ready for Crawlapalooza 10 which I have the pleasure of attending this year. After the dust settles, and some well deserved rest, I'm sure he'll be right back at it making more great parts for us.

Hey Screamer,

Got the kit ordered as well as some upgrades! Super pumped to build my 2nd kit and see what it turns into. Any suggestions on what to pick up to give me a good starting point as far as suspension tuning? I think I'll try and work with the original shocks and see how they go before committing to dropping to the shorter slash shocks. With the YXL I didn't put a whole lot of thought into its suspension but with this one id like to take the time to get it right! Let me know if there's a thread I'm missing that would get me started in the right direction with this! If so, I apologize!

Bomber Kit Build Project Planning - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build blkbart00 Axial RR10 Bomber 20 02-01-2017 10:49 PM
Project bomber build www.facebook.com/Dirtyscustomfab/ Lostsamurai Axial RR10 Bomber 2 07-03-2016 09:16 PM
Advice requested planning a budget SCX10 jeep kit build theTman Axial SCX-10 41 11-21-2014 01:14 PM
Project: The Bigg Show/ Axial Wraith kit build. FatBagz Axial Wraith 27 09-07-2013 12:12 PM
Newb planning on the Kit. got one quick question PontiacGT201 Axial SCX-10 11 01-21-2011 03:49 PM