Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Jato The Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Jato The Bomber

Keep plugging, you've narrowed it way down.
You said in the other that you could feel a difference when unplugged. Is your timing correct? Sensor position is all that remains .

Stock motor is a 3150 vanguard ? If so gear down from what you had, by 2 due to wheel speed as you did the underdrive

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #82

Default Re: Jato The Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Keep plugging, you've narrowed it way down.
You said in the other that you could feel a difference when unplugged. Is your timing correct? Sensor position is all that remains .

Stock motor is a 3150 vanguard ? If so gear down from what you had, by 2 due to wheel speed as you did the underdrive

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
The timing is whatever is default in the ESC firmware. I'm using a Castle MMX and Tekin ROC412 3100kV with stock gearing. The stock gearing is 5.33:1 so I don't foresee the need to go any higher.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #83
ghetto fabulous newbie

Mind posting a picture of your setup? As I'm sure you know, you have to use the castle sensor wire, it's different then the standard sensor wire.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
Mind posting a picture of your setup? As I'm sure you know, you have to use the castle sensor wire, it's different then the standard sensor wire.
Pardon the confusion here, I have a Holmes PP and MMX bought as a combo and he includes the correct "adapter" to go from a MMX to a sensored brushless - is this the type of cable you are referring to?

I cut and pasted the description for the cable if you buy it by itself from his site below:

"The Castle Mamba Micro X and Mamba Monster X use a proprietary socket that is incompatible with standard sensor wires. This sensor wire is 5.5 inches in length and comes with a Mamba Micro/Monster X-compatible plug on the ESC side and standard six-pin sensor plug on the motor side."

*please note, mine is not yet installed but I have faith in HH knowing what they are doing.

Should Jato be making sure he has one of these?

Just trying to help a brother out...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #85
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Pardon the confusion here, I have a Holmes PP and MMX bought as a combo and he includes the correct "adapter" to go from a MMX to a sensored brushless - is this the type of cable you are referring to?

I cut and pasted the description for the cable if you buy it by itself from his site below:

"The Castle Mamba Micro X and Mamba Monster X use a proprietary socket that is incompatible with standard sensor wires. This sensor wire is 5.5 inches in length and comes with a Mamba Micro/Monster X-compatible plug on the ESC side and standard six-pin sensor plug on the motor side."

*please note, mine is not yet installed but I have faith in HH knowing what they are doing.

Should Jato be making sure he has one of these?

Just trying to help a brother out...
Yes that is the harness I'm referring to. The one Holmes sells is the correct harness. or you use the castle one as an adaptor to the standard sensor harness. From what I read here, im pretty sure Jato has the castle adaptor but it did sound like he wasn't using it for a while.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #86

I have the Castle "sensor harness" as they call it. I've always been using it. Bought it at the same time as the ESC. You plug a regular sensor cable into Castle's, stupid, gimmicky "sensor harness". It's a bad design. More connectors and more places to have issues.

The only time I unplugged the sensor cable was for testing to see if the cogging was worse without it. It was.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

I totally agree on that X series harness adapter being total bullshit. It was really cool of Holmes to make a one piece replacement to eliminate a failure point. I need to order a couple or three of those next time I send some more of my retirement his way.

I really hope you get this figured out Jato. The MMX is such a great ESC and its all I use now for my brushless setups. I bet it's that inferior Tekin motor, we tried to get you to buy a Holmes.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I totally agree on that X series harness adapter being total bullshit. It was really cool of Holmes to make a one piece replacement to eliminate a failure point. I need to order a couple or three of those next time I send some more of my retirement his way.

I really hope you get this figured out Jato. The MMX is such a great ESC and its all I use now for my brushless setups. I bet it's that inferior Tekin motor, we tried to get you to buy a Holmes.
I would love to hear their explanation of why they created the sensor harness. To me, it's just a way to nickel and dime customers. I really can't think of any good, logical reason why it exists.

Thanks! I hope so too. I've always hated Castle since my very first experience with them and I swore them off for years, but I decided to give them another shot because this ESC is waterproof and more so because of the auxiliary wire. I friggin' love the auxiliary wire.

LOL well I would have gotten the Holmes had they had the 2700kV in stock at the time. In hindsight the 3500kV probably would have been fine. Tekin is sending me a new sensor board for the motor. Castle is convinced it's not the ESC. Before doing any of this I'm going to try a different sensored motor on the MMX ESC. My LHS didn't have 6.5mm bullets so I ordred them from Tower last night. Now I wait...
Old 10-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

The 3500 would have been perfect....
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
The 3500 would have been perfect....
I don't know about that. The 3100 on 3S and stock gearing is already too fast for any trail run around here. Heck, it's even more speed than I need on 2S for trail runs.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know about that. The 3100 on 3S and stock gearing is already too fast for any trail run around here. Heck, it's even more speed than I need on 2S for trail runs.
You are forgetting that means a 3500 could be geared down more then and keep the wheelspeed all while giving you longer run times, cooler temps and theoretically more power and low speed control.

Don't forget which motor is in my bomber.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
You are forgetting that means a 3500 could be geared down more then and keep the wheelspeed all while giving you longer run times, cooler temps and theoretically more power and low speed control.

Don't forget which motor is in my bomber.
True. But what's the largest spur available? The spur to pinion ratio is already 5.33:1

Which motor are you using?

I was looking at photos of my Bomber and noticed that I installed the diffs backwards. No harm, no foul I guess. The Axial logo on the diff cover is upside down, but it's not like you can see it. To me it looks better the way I have it, but I don't think that's "scale".

Does anybody see this causing any issues? I don't think it will, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-12-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

That's the side guys are flipping the ring gear to for the purpose of minimizing torque twist. You may have made a beneficial mistake but in any case it won't hurt anything at all. Stock Wraiths used to come with the ring gear on the right side.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
That's the side guys are flipping the ring gear to for the purpose of minimizing torque twist. You may have made a beneficial mistake but in any case it won't hurt anything at all. Stock Wraiths used to come with the ring gear on the right side.
Interesting! Thank you. Maybe that's why I haven't felt the need to tighten down my sway bar yet...
Old 10-13-2016, 01:35 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would love to hear their explanation of why they created the sensor harness. To me, it's just a way to nickel and dime customers. I really can't think of any good, logical reason why it exists.
The only reason I can think of is because the sensor wire fitment on a MMP is horrible. You have to use something else to make it stay in (servo tape, shoe goo, ect). But with this harness adapter, its way better.

Also, you have it plugged in the correct way into esc? White wire goes on right side. I remember reading someone installed it backwards and had cogging issues.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:25 AM   #96
RCC Addict

There's a 68t spur you can use or just go down on the pinion. Down to a 9t is available.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
The only reason I can think of is because the sensor wire fitment on a MMP is horrible. You have to use something else to make it stay in (servo tape, shoe goo, ect). But with this harness adapter, its way better.

Also, you have it plugged in the correct way into esc? White wire goes on right side. I remember reading someone installed it backwards and had cogging issues.
Either way the harness shouldn't exist. It's just another potential point of failure.

Yes, I did double check the sensor wire was installed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
There's a 68t spur you can use or just go down on the pinion. Down to a 9t is available.
I might go up to the 68T spur if I decide I want more low-speed controllability, but I shouldn't have to do this to get rid of cogging.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Either way the harness shouldn't exist. It's just another potential point of failure.

Yes, I did double check the sensor wire was installed correctly.

I might go up to the 68T spur if I decide I want more low-speed controllability, but I shouldn't have to do this to get rid of cogging.
On my speed run cars, I always notice more cogging the more overloaded the motor is. Sometimes adding timing helps. So maybe it's just overloaded, or something is up with the motor. I have a few MMX's on a few different cars/ trucks running both sensored and non. The esc is flat out smooth

By the way, I totally dig the red!
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
On my speed run cars, I always notice more cogging the more overloaded the motor is. Sometimes adding timing helps. So maybe it's just overloaded, or something is up with the motor. I have a few MMX's on a few different cars/ trucks running both sensored and non. The esc is flat out smooth

By the way, I totally dig the red!
Castle told me my settings, gearing, etc were fine and shouldn't cause cogging. I think I got a bad ESC or motor. I'm glad to hear yours is so smooth. That gives me hope.

Thank you!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #100

I tried another sensored motor with my MMX. I'm still getting cogging at low throttle under load.

What do you guys think of it?

https://youtu.be/pO3w2rn5jrE

Jato The Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM