Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Jato The Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato The Bomber

Man that sucks. I feel bad for you. All you want to do is enjoy your effing truck and keep having problems. I've been there before (driveline issues on another truck) so I know your frustration. Just keep at it, eventually you will figure it out.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Man that sucks. I feel bad for you. All you want to do is enjoy your effing truck and keep having problems. I've been there before (driveline issues on another truck) so I know your frustration. Just keep at it, eventually you will figure it out.
Thanks, man. You're right. I just wanna play with the darn thing! LOL I was so pumped to take it trailing on Sunday but that's not going to happen.

I'm going to contact Castle and show them the video. The next step is probably sending the MMX back to Castle and then I really won't be able to run the truck for a couple of weeks.

At this point I'm regretting giving Castle another chance to win me over. The auxiliary wire is the only thing keeping me interested in finding a solution. Without that I would have returned the MMX and gotten a HobbyWing or Tekin. Castle customer service has been really responsive up to this point. We'll see how they want to proceed now that I ruled the motor out as being the root cause of the cogging.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-14-2016 at 09:50 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #103

Tekin sent me a new sensor board for my ROC412. They never tried to blame ESC. Great customer service. Turns out it might not be the motor in which case I'll offer to send the sensor board back. They included this card and some Starburst candy. My girlfriend claimed that before I took a picture. Both candies in the pack were pink so she felt like she won the lottery. :LMAO: Anyway, little touches like this are so cool.

I made a fuel fill tube and dry break for the fuel cell. That's all for now. I should be getting some more parts today, but in the meantime I'm going to switch over and finish my Ascender.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:08 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I have the axles, transmission/transfer case, and links finished. I'm awaiting metal pivot balls and the electronics. Both should be here this week. I'm so impatiently waiting. It's going to be a long week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you remember the part number for the metal pivot balls you used? I've pulled steel pivot balls from Traxxas rod ends, but was never sure I was using the right ones / getting the best fit. I'm also hoping you got a bag of pivot balls rather than salvaging from otherwise good rod ends ...

I noticed that Hot Racing makes aluminum "direct replacements" for the Axial plastic hollow balls -- look nice; do you know if aluminum pivot balls are durable enough?

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...CP160B05;c=623

Link is to green anodized option; also clear, blue, purple, red, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thloftus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Do you remember the part number for the metal pivot balls you used? I've pulled steel pivot balls from Traxxas rod ends, but was never sure I was using the right ones / getting the best fit. I'm also hoping you got a bag of pivot balls rather than salvaging from otherwise good rod ends ...

I noticed that Hot Racing makes aluminum "direct replacements" for the Axial plastic hollow balls -- look nice; do you know if aluminum pivot balls are durable enough?

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...CP160B05;c=623

Link is to green anodized option; also clear, blue, purple, red, etc

I actually used the blue version of those Hot Racing pivot balls you linked to, part number SCP160B06. I'm not sure how durable they are, but they were recommended by a friend. Axial sells steel balls, but they are almost $1 a piece. I'll try the HR pivot balls and if they wear out too quickly I'll replace them with the Axial pivot balls.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Default Jato The Bomber

Quote:
I actually used the blue version of those Hot Racing pivot balls you linked to, part number SCP160B06. I'm not sure how durable they are, but they were recommended by a friend. Axial sells steel balls, but they are almost $1 a piece. I'll try the HR pivot balls and if they wear out too quickly I'll replace them with the Axial pivot balls.

Sweet. I might give the Hot Racing pivot balls a try also. Interesting to see how they compare or if the anodizing holds up.

Thanks for the tip about the Axial steel versions (AXA1331 for others who are interested). Not sure why I never found these before -- spent too much time trying to figure out Traxxas equivalents!

Last edited by Thloftus; 10-16-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

The rod ends are going to wear out way faster than those pivot balls. It's purely speculation, but I left the plastic balls in place and already have some slop.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

Default Jato The Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
The rod ends are going to wear out way faster than those pivot balls. It's purely speculation, but I left the plastic balls in place and already have some slop.

Good point. So maybe back to searching for Traxxas equivalents ...

Last edited by Thloftus; 10-16-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Good point. So maybe back to searching for Traxxas equivalents ...

The issue is the axial ends end right in between a Jato and a Revo length. Not impossible, but will not bolt right up either.

I've trimmed Jato ends in the past, and I suspect that's what I'll end up doing if needed on the bomber as well.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #110

If only Axial plastic was as good as RPM or Traxxas! I really think they could use some help in the plastics engineering department. Some parts are not bad, but then others are horrific. I saw three newer Yeti SCORE trucks today. Two of the three broke off the front bumper. And we all know how horrible Axial's plastic links are.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
The issue is the axial ends end right in between a Jato and a Revo length. Not impossible, but will not bolt right up either.

I've trimmed Jato ends in the past, and I suspect that's what I'll end up doing if needed on the bomber as well.

Nice. Thank you. Great to know that trimmed Jato ends are the right way to go. At least it's easy work with a Dremel!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If only Axial plastic was as good as RPM or Traxxas! I really think they could use some help in the plastics engineering department. Some parts are not bad, but then others are horrific. I saw three newer Yeti SCORE trucks today. Two of the three broke off the front bumper. And we all know how horrible Axial's plastic links are.

No doubt! I spend a lot of time looking for alternatives -- but fun to figure out the upgrades / satisfying when they work.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

I just recently started using those Axial steel hollow balls in places where I need that exact width and they're working great so far. I've used them with Axial and Traxxas rod ends and no issues with either.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #114

I emailed Castle this morning about the MMX still cogging with a new motor. They have determined something is wrong with the ESC and they are going to send me a new one. I have to call a different department to give them my info and I will report back. But so far Castle CS has been awesome and really responsive.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #115

I just got off of the phone with Castle. They are shipping me a new MMX today and it should arrive in 2-3 days. I appreciate them shipping it right away and with fast shipping. My fingers are crossed that this new ESC solves everything because even Castle themselves told me they have found the MMX to be buttery smooth with Tekin motors.

I did have to give my credit card number as "collateral" in case I do not return the ESC. I wasn't please with that as I've never had a company request credit card information for an RMA before.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
I just got off of the phone with Castle. They are shipping me a new MMX today and it should arrive in 2-3 days. I appreciate them shipping it right away and with fast shipping. My fingers are crossed that this new ESC solves everything because even Castle themselves told me they have found the MMX to be buttery smooth with Tekin motors.

I did have to give my credit card number as "collateral" in case I do not return the ESC. I wasn't please with that as I've never had a company request credit card information for an RMA before.

Good customer experience is all i've ever had with Castle. Glad to hear the same.

It sounds like they are shipping to a MMX before you send back the defective unit. So you'll essentially have 2 unit in your possession which is why they're asking for your credit card. I wouldn't have an issue with that.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Default Jato The Bomber

Not an RMA, replacement for defective . Rather than have you wait, they did it that way for you. I'm sure they could have waited to ship.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #118

Well I got an email that Castle only shipped the MMX today despite the fact that they said they'd ship it yesterday. I'm leaving later in the week and going away for a couple of days so I hope it shows up before then so it doesn't sit in my mailbox.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Check your tracking number. Many times they ship, and shipment is picked up 6 hours later

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Check your tracking number. Many times they ship, and shipment is picked up 6 hours later

Hang up and Drive
I would except no tracking number was provided. I forgot to mention that.

Jato The Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM