Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Jato The Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Default Jato The Bomber

I had no intentions of buying a Bomber. When they came out I was the biggest critic saying "that's just another Wraith." I hate my Wraith so I had no interest in the Bomber.

Then I got an SMT10 Grave Digger a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely love it. It "crawls" around my house decently and I could imagine doing it with locked diffs. And I love jumping the Digger so much. These things made me think a trail worthy Bomber that could do some crawling and still go fast enough to jump might be fun. But it definitely wasn't next on my list.

That is until I was browsing a local for sale site and found this NIB Bomber kit and we agreed on a price of $220!!! He bought it and was overwhelmed by the thought of the "task" of building it so I lucked out.

Now my task is deciding on an ESC, motor and servo to fit my requirements. I hate Castle, but I'm considering giving the MMX a try with the ROC412 a try. Would this be a good combo for crawling, trailing and still enough speed to jump and have fun? I'll probably stick to 2S. So which kV should I consider?

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jato The Bomber

Ha ha, now you're one of us.

But seriously, what a great deal! That sounds like a fine combo to me. Depending on how fast you want it to go the 2300kv should be just right. You could run that on 2s and if it's not enough make the jump to 3s.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Haha. That's where I'm torn. Not sure if I want 2300kV or 3100kV. Or maybe even go 2 speed.

My thinking was if I got the 3100kV I could slow it down with gearing especially if I got the 2 speed. But with the 2300kV I could only control it so much with gearing before worrying about heat. But, like you said there's always 3S.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

With 2300kv, there's even 4S (oh, yeah...)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think you'd be pretty sweet with anything in the 3000-3500KV range, as long as it's sensored. On 3S, that will give you the speed you want for jumps and tearing around, but also the smooth, low speed control. You can always gear down or reprogram the ESC to slow things down a bit as well.

If you haven't already, check out the "What's powering your Bomber?" thread a few pages back in this forum. A lot of great info in there, I used that to help me decide on a Holmes Puller Pro 3500KV for my Bomber.
Haven't had the chance to run mine yet as I'm still waiting on the last few bits and pieces, but from everything that I've read and videos that I've watched, this is the perfect motor for the all-round rock bashing/crawling trail rig that I want it to be.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you're looking at a ROC412, why don't you look at a better motor for less money. The Holmes Puller Pros are much more powerful and have excellent low speed control. A 2700kv would give you the flexibility of 3s and 4s for crawling or speed with the swap of a battery. You're going to love the MMX, I love both mine. Congrats and nice find. Welcome to the dark brotherhood.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
With 2300kv, there's even 4S (oh, yeah...)
LOL I have no interest in investing in 4S batteries even though that would be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo308 View Post
I think you'd be pretty sweet with anything in the 3000-3500KV range, as long as it's sensored. On 3S, that will give you the speed you want for jumps and tearing around, but also the smooth, low speed control. You can always gear down or reprogram the ESC to slow things down a bit as well.

If you haven't already, check out the "What's powering your Bomber?" thread a few pages back in this forum. A lot of great info in there, I used that to help me decide on a Holmes Puller Pro 3500KV for my Bomber.
Haven't had the chance to run mine yet as I'm still waiting on the last few bits and pieces, but from everything that I've read and videos that I've watched, this is the perfect motor for the all-round rock bashing/crawling trail rig that I want it to be.
I have seen that thread and read some of it today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
If you're looking at a ROC412, why don't you look at a better motor for less money. The Holmes Puller Pros are much more powerful and have excellent low speed control. A 2700kv would give you the flexibility of 3s and 4s for crawling or speed with the swap of a battery. You're going to love the MMX, I love both mine. Congrats and nice find. Welcome to the dark brotherhood.
I don't see any 2709kV Puller Pro motors except in the stubby configuration.

Why do you prefer Holmes over the ROC412? I haven't read a bad word about the ROC412

Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

They are temporarily sold out of the 2700kv PP. The Tekin ROC412 motors are just fine, but you'll get a bit more for your money with a Holmes PP, IMHO...
Old 09-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why do you prefer Holmes over the ROC412? I haven't read a bad word about the ROC412
The ROC412 is a very good motor and has been for a long time. The Holmes motor basically takes all the good qualities of the ROC412 and makes them better (low speed control, braking, power). If you crammed the power of a Pro4HD into a ROC412 can while maintaining the low speed ability, you would have a standard Puller Pro.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If you're sticking to 2s/3s, why not the Puller Pro 3500kv? Plenty speed on 3s and I'm sure 2s as well.

The drag brake and low speed movement is pretty great.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Durok and SVT nailed it. Nothing wrong at all with the ROC412, Holmes Puller Pros are just more powerful while being the same 540 can size and are less expensive. Plus you get to buy from a great vendor who makes his motors in this country and is very supportive of this site. Save yourself $30 and get a better motor. Win-win
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #12

I'm willing to try the Holmes motor. I like that it's also offered waterproofed. Does anybody know the ETA on the 2700kV?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default Jato The Bomber

I run the 3500kv puller pro on 3s in my bomber. And I LOVE it..

If you are planning on starting with 2s I would get the 3500.. you can always gear down if it's too fast for you. You can't add rpm if it ends up being slower than you hoped. And gearing up is harder on all of your electronics.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The 2700kv JUST went out of stock a few days ago... maybe a distributor still has one? But yeah, a 3500kv is a great idea -- they were sold out for quite some time and very recently became available again.

I STILL have to get to the post office and send off my NIB 2200kv to exchange it.

I know, I suck... such a procrastinator.

But, as there are plenty of other parts that I'm budgeting for and need to order, that's OK.

Not starting build until I have all the strength upgrades, I really want to have it tough for my first run.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #15

I'm impatient. I couldn't find a Holmes PP in 2700kV (I think 3500kV would be too fast for my liking) so I ordered a Tekin ROC412 3100kV and a Castle MMX. The motors just went on sale at Tower plus with the coupon it was cheaper than the Holmes PP.

Oh and I'm a longtime anti-Castle person. I've never had good luck with their ESCs. I hated how coggy they were, how difficult they were to program since I never had the Castle Link, and that they had they worst internal BEC ever. But I'm giving them another shot. I've read a lot of good about this ESC.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have the Holmes Puller Pro 3500kv and MMX. The MMX is awesome for being able to turn drag brake on and off for crawling or trail riding. I was also questioning how big of a motor I wanted. I thought the PP 3500 kv was going to be too much, but I have been running it on 3s with stock gearing and everytime I mash the throttle it puts a smile on my face. Launches off jumps, up will, bouncing, etc. I changed the throttle curve on the MMX on the low end for more resolution for crawling and it works quite well.
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Oh and I'm a longtime anti-Castle person. I've never had good luck with their ESCs. I hated how coggy they were, how difficult they were to program since I never had the Castle Link, and that they had they worst internal BEC ever. But I'm giving them another shot. I've read a lot of good about this ESC.

I'm not surprised you rip castle,that's the way you roll.

Trying to use something halfway will result in dissatisfaction .

But you are a JRH homeboy, and his esc are nothing but castle, so I don't get your attitude. Spend the 25.00 and see what it will do,I run tekin and castle esc's and love the adjustability

I also own 2 HH esc and do not see what is worth $30. More for my use, yes it stops the ringing,but I don't need HHold so no extra value

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo308 View Post
Good stuff, I don't think you'll be disappointed with that combo.
Just make sure you get a Castle Link, makes life a whole lot easier
I bought the Castle Link and the sensor harness right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I'm not surprised you rip castle,that's the way you roll.

Trying to use something halfway will result in dissatisfaction .

But you are a JRH homeboy, and his esc are nothing but castle, so I don't get your attitude. Spend the 25.00 and see what it will do,I run tekin and castle esc's and love the adjustability

I also own 2 HH esc and do not see what is worth $30. More for my use, yes it stops the ringing,but I don't need HHold so no extra value

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
You must have me confused with somebody else. I don't even own any JRH products. I prefer HobbyWing and Tekin.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

JRH = JohnRobHolmes = Holmes Hobbies, his ESCs are modified Castle products.

For anyone that wasn't aware...

Not saying you ^^^, but anyone else that get's confused....
Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
JRH = JohnRobHolmes = Holmes Hobbies, his ESCs are modified Castle products.

For anyone that wasn't aware...

Not saying you ^^^, but anyone else that get's confused....
LOL yes, that was my thinking as well. I still don't own any Holmes stuff.

Are you guys weighting the front of your hybrid (crawling, but still jumping) Bomber?

Jato The Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM