Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: sabo's Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default sabo's Bomber

Well, after a month and a half in the making, my Bomber is finally running!
I've only had the chance to fang around in the backyard a bit, but it has definitely been worth the wait!
The Holmes Puller Pro 3500KV and Trailmaster BLE Pro combo is absolutely killer! I've geared down to a 10t pinion just to make sure temps remain comfortable, but so far I'm really liking this gearing/motor combo, it's nice and smooth down low and hauls ass when required.
Also running a Holmes SHV500 servo and this thing is MILES ahead of the Savox 1231SG I had in my old SCX10. Whisper quiet, super quick, torque for days and no BEC required... life is good
The stock Axial BFG's are rolling on SSD Rock Racer 2.2s with CI Double Deuce foams, and I must say, I'm a big fan of these SSD wheels. They really set the rig off nicely and are super easy to mount.

The only planned upgrade so far is an aluminium motor cam and mount, other than that I plan to just replace/upgrade as things break.
All in all I'm super impressed with the Bomber already, and I can tell that this thing will be a lot of fun
We're in for some good weather over the next few days, so I plan to head out and scout some good spots to really put it through its paces, so stay tuned for more pics.

Cheers!
Attached Images

sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: sabo's Bomber

Great looking rig. I have the PP3500kv and HV500, both are great!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the truck and welcome!
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Great looking rig. I have the PP3500kv and HV500, both are great!
You really can't go wrong with HH products. I ran a Torquemaster 35T and BRXL in my old SCX10 and was super impressed.
I can't see myself running anything else in crawlers now, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, guys.
I spent quite a bit of time on my Bomber to make sure it turned out the way I wanted, particularly the paint. It's not perfect, by any stretch, but it's the first time I actually put any thought into painting. In the past I would just slap on a coat or two of a single colour and call it done because I'd be super impatient and just wanna play already!
As hard as it was to wait, I'm glad I held off and bought all the electronics last, because it forced me to take my time and get the paint and everything else how I wanted.

I've been a looooong time lurker here on RCC (around 8 or 9 years on and off), so when I bought this I thought it was high time that I step out into the light and start giving back as much as I can to this site that I have learnt so much from over the years
Old 10-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Well, I took the Bomber out for it's first real run this weekend. There is a vacant space just off the main road out of town where there are a few piles of dirt and rocks and rubble.
After dodging a couple of snakes (getting to that time of year here in Australia), I gave the Bomber a good workout on these rock and dirt piles and WHAT A BLAST IT WAS!
I'm super impressed with the capability and robustness of this chassis!
I love the way the suspension works, the Axial King shocks seem to be doing great with absolutely no leaks at all. A lot of people are of the opinion that the stock Axial sway bar is too stiff, but it seems just right to me.
The Puller Pro 3500KV was running a bit hot, however I'm not too worried as it was quite a warm day and most of the 30/40min was spent belting around at full throttle, so it was to be expected. I've got an Axial anodized motor cam and mount on the way though, so that should help draw a bit of heat away from the motor, however I think training my throttle finger to not flat stick it all the time will help the most! XD
The only casualty for the day was a lost spring retainer from the bottom of one of the King shocks (was too keen to get out and bashing and forgot to secure them to the springs before running >_<). Most hobby shops here in Australia don't really carry a lot of stuff, so I've ordered the clamping retainers from RPP, along with some Pro-Line Super Swamper TSLs and CI foams, just to make the shipping worthwhile ;)

I really love this Bomber and can't wait to get it running again!
Now I just have to build one for the girlfriend so I have someone to play with, haha
Old 10-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

Nice looking Bomber! I really like that you found a servo horn that matches the shocks. What brand is it?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice looking Bomber! I really like that you found a servo horn that matches the shocks. What brand is it?
Thanks man!
I'm not sure of the brand of servo horn, but OneTenCrawlers (pretty much the only shop in Australia that sells crawler specific gear) carries them.
It was actually unintentional that it matches the colour scheme as this is the only colour they have in this spline count, but it sure did work out perfectly!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo308 View Post
Thanks man!
I'm not sure of the brand of servo horn, but OneTenCrawlers (pretty much the only shop in Australia that sells crawler specific gear) carries them.
It was actually unintentional that it matches the colour scheme as this is the only colour they have in this spline count, but it sure did work out perfectly!
Knowing now where the horn came from I'd tip it being one from HobbyKing, unfortunately on back order atm
Heavy Duty 25T Aluminum Servo Arm - Futaba (Blue)
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:59 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Ok, time for a bit of an update.
The Bomber was temporarily out of action due to a lost spring retainer (and of course there are no spares included in the kit >_<), so I ordered up a set of the Axial blue anodized clamping spring retainers to take care of that issue.
I've snapped a couple of the stock Axial rod ends so far (good thing there are spares of those in the kit!), so I've got a full set of 4mm Revo rod ends on the way.
I also managed to get some Pro-Line Super Swampers mounted on the SSD Rock Racers by using longer screws to capture the screw holes initially, and then fitting the stock length screws once the beadlock ring has been clamped down far enough.
Other than that, no breakages or upgrades to speak of, however I stocked up on a bunch of stock Axial parts (axle shafts, axle housing, driveshafts, knuckles, C-hubs, all tranny and diff shafts and gears etc.) just in case of any potential breakages. Due to the lack of range of most Australian hobby shops, a lot of the time it's at least a week wait to get parts in and get up and running again, so it's nice to have a bunch of spares on hand just in case!
I've found a pretty sweet spot close to home that has some pretty rutted old 4WD tracks on a fairly steep incline that is just PERFECT for some U4 and even a bit of FOFF style hill-climbing, and at the bottom of the hill at the end of the tracks are some awesome beach rocks by the water. It's the perfect place and I'm having a lot of fun learning the handling characteristics of the Bomber, it just seems to eat up everything that I throw it at!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Had a great time at the local bash spot this afternoon.
I've christened this place "Hill-climb Heaven", as that is exactly what it is. I will have to get some pics next time I'm there when the Bomber is up and running again... yes, these torture tracks have claimed another piece of the Bomber... this time it was the Holmes SHV500 servo. Took a couple of nasty tumbles, stripped the main output shaft gear and it is now complete cactus... on the plus side, the Revo rod ends have help up without issue!
I've ordered an OMG RC D4-ST-BF30s servo as a replacement, courtesy of OneTenCrawlers.
I've eyed off OMG RC servos in the past on RCMart. The specs are quite impressive (0.085/60deg and 438oz/in @ 8.4V) and they seem rather well made, so I'll be keen to see how it stacks up against the torture tracks of Hill-climb Heaven.
I've also ordered a set of aluminium U4 Beef Tubes for both the front and the rear as a precautionary measure. The stock axle housings have held up rather well, all things considered, although I CAN foresee some damage on the horizon with the way I've been relentlessly hammering the Bomber

I should receive the new servo at the beginning of next week, so I will post some pics once it's all up and running!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I will have to get some pics next time I'm there when the Bomber is up and running again... yes, these torture tracks have claimed another piece of the Bomber... this time it was the Holmes SHV500 servo. Took a couple of nasty tumbles, stripped the main output shaft gear and it is now complete cactus... on the plus side, the Revo rod ends have help up without issue!
Have you contacted Holmes about your servo? They put some pretty heavy duty gears in those servos so stripping them out is rare (usually only happens if the center pin breaks and there was a batch of servos with out of spec center pins). I'm sure Holmes would like to see how it failed and they should send you a new set of gears if you got a servo with a bad pin.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Have you contacted Holmes about your servo? They put some pretty heavy duty gears in those servos so stripping them out is rare (usually only happens if the center pin breaks and there was a batch of servos with out of spec center pins). I'm sure Holmes would like to see how it failed and they should send you a new set of gears if you got a servo with a bad pin.
Yeah, I emailed HH today about having it sent back for repair, so we'll see what they come back with.
I don't really expect it to be repaired/replaced under warranty. I was beating it pretty hard and I have opened up the servo casing to inspect the damage, so I'm happy to pay to get it repaired and working again.
I already have another servo on the way, so if this one can get repaired then I will have a spare on hand which, at this rate, will come in super handy!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:35 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Alright, I've sent the SHV500 servo back to Holmes Hobbies, so hopefully that gets sorted.
Meanwhile, I received and installed the RC OMG D4-ST-BF30S (what a mouthful!) servo, and it is REALLY nice! Feels like a seriously top-notch, quality bit of gear. It has a couple of interesting features that I haven't seen on any other servo before, too.
The first being that the servo wires are rubber sheathed, which I think is a really nice touch. Instead of having the standard 3 wires fixed together in a flat ribbon arrangement, the wires are are fixed together in an almost triangular arrangement. The only downside to this is that it makes for a thicker profile servo lead that doesn't allow it to pass through the silicone grommet on the receiver box. No biggie for me, I just removed the grommet altogether as I don't really run through anything more than a puddle, but this is definitely something to take note of if being fully waterproof is your thing.
The second feature is a rubber pull grip that encases the servo wires just before they terminate at the servo plug. This I thought was really cool, as plugging/unplugging the servo connector from the receiver can be a bit fiddly at times, and this prevents pulling on the actual wires themselves.

With the Bomber all back together after a complete tear-down/clean, I headed out to Hill-climb Heaven this afternoon to test out the new servo.
I made a point of snapping a few pics of this place, and of course the Bomber, while it was still nice and clean before I got stuck into it.
Of course, pictures never really do justice to hills and inclines, but these tracks are seriously steep and are an absolute blast to tear around on.
I took a couple of pics of a few of the tracks, but there are more. Probably around 7 or 8 in total (they continue along the side of the hill, to the right of the tracks pictured), all next to each other, as if they were designed with the Bomber in mind!
All went well this afternoon, was beating on it hard and had quite a few gnarly tumbles, until the punishing blow came in the form of a cartwheeling Bomber, all the way down from the top of one of the tracks. The front axle now stutters and bounces under acceleration while suspended in the air. I haven't gotten in there to diagnose yet, but I'm suspecting a bent front left axle or a busted front locker. I'll get into it over the weekend to check out the damage, but I have a mountain of spare parts on hand, so I'm not too worried.
In light of all this relentless beating, the RC OMG servo held its own and made it out the other end without a care in the world. This servo is smooth, fast, fairly quiet and has a mountain of power. It seems like a tough little unit, so hopefully it keeps going strong from here.

Anyhoo, here are the shots of the day!

Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Tore apart the front axle today and sure enough, I was greeted by a nice and bent long side universal shaft...

I was able to change it out straight away as I had a spare set on hand, so no biggie.
I'm up in the air about upgrading to the VP VVD shafts... I'm not really a fan of having to grind down the link mount screws to clear the extra girth of the shafts. I know it's not a major inconvenience but it just seems a bit ghetto, haha. I dunno, I'll see how things go and if I manage to bend/break another one then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade.
While I had it all apart I noticed that the SSD wheel hubs are starting to strip out a bit as well, so I've got some VP wheel hexes and SLW .425 hubs on the way from OneTenCrawlers to take care of that.

So, sticking with my philosophy of "break it and then upgrade" (for the most part, anyway), this is the parts/upgrade list as of now:

Axial Machined Motor Mount
Axial Machined Slipper Plates
Team KNK Hardware kit
Tamiya Low Friction Kingpins
SSD Rock Racer wheels
Pro-Line Super Swamper TSL tyres
RC OMG D4-ST-BF30S servo
VP wheel hexes
SLW .425 hubs

All in all, I'm quite impressed with how this chassis has been holding up.
In particular, the WB8 HD driveshafts. I thought for sure that I would have had to install MIPs by now, but they seem to be super robust and are holding up just fine.

I'm off work for the next two weeks, so I'm looking forward to getting out with the Bomber a whole lot and seeing if there's anything else that I can manage to break!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Nice bend! Yep, those WB8 shafts are holding up nicely for me as well. Ugly as sin from all the rock rash but still straight.

Just installed .725 hubs on my kit beadlocks. Wanted the extra width at speed.

I'm liking those Swampers. Are those the XLs?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #16

If you had Beef Tubes installed your axle housings might not have flexed which may or may not have caused your universal to bend. That's my thinking anyway which is why I ordered Beef Tubes for the AR60 axles on my SMT10 Grave Digger.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Nice bend! Yep, those WB8 shafts are holding up nicely for me as well. Ugly as sin from all the rock rash but still straight.

Just installed .725 hubs on my kit beadlocks. Wanted the extra width at speed.

I'm liking those Swampers. Are those the XLs?
Yeah, the rocks have carved mine up pretty good as well but as you said, still straight.

I was looking for some hubs that are similar in width to the stock SSD hubs (.240). The closest are the .225s but that would cause a bit of rubbing on the tire at the steering knuckles, not to mention I really don't wanna narrow the track width at all. The next size up that OneTenCrawlers had was the .425s so I went with them. Should add a handy bit of width without going too wide, which suits me fine.

The tyres are the standard Swampers. I prefer the size and the look of these compared to the XL versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If you had Beef Tubes installed your axle housings might not have flexed which may or may not have caused your universal to bend. That's my thinking anyway which is why I ordered Beef Tubes for the AR60 axles on my SMT10 Grave Digger.
Yep, got some Beef Tubes on the way already.
Opted for the Aluminium U4 versions as opposed to the steel or brass as I'm not really looking for the extra weight, just the strength.
I received an email last week saying that they were dispatched, so hopefully they will turn up some time this week.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Yeah, the rocks have carved mine up pretty good as well but as you said, still straight.

I was looking for some hubs that are similar in width to the stock SSD hubs (.240). The closest are the .225s but that would cause a bit of rubbing on the tire at the steering knuckles, not to mention I really don't wanna narrow the track width at all. The next size up that OneTenCrawlers had was the .425s so I went with them. Should add a handy bit of width without going too wide, which suits me fine.

The tyres are the standard Swampers. I prefer the size and the look of these compared to the XL versions.

Yep, got some Beef Tubes on the way already.
Opted for the Aluminium U4 versions as opposed to the steel or brass as I'm not really looking for the extra weight, just the strength.
I received an email last week saying that they were dispatched, so hopefully they will turn up some time this week.
Same here. I got the aluminum so there isn't much additional weight. Just extra strength.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Well, the RC OMG servo amazing-ness was short lived... Stripped gears, again.
A few things have come up over the past few days regarding our house which will dry up the RC budget for a little while, so I can't buy a replacement servo right now. Good thing I received an email from Holmes Hobbies saying that they've inspected my broken SHV500 and the fault was due to a misaligned centre pin, so they're sending me a new unit for no extra cost.
This kind of product and service is why I don't mind paying more and waiting for international shipping, keep it up HH!

So, hopefully the new SHV500 arrives next week sometime and I can get some more Bomber time in before I go back to work!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You don't have to grind anything to fit VVDs. I've ran 3 sets and didn't have to mod a thing to install them.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

sabo's Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/6 Bomber XL BarHarborBasher Large Scale Rigs 4 10-02-2016 05:39 PM
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM