Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: gottorque's F-Bomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default gottorque's F-Bomb

Well, long story short, I was getting a bit bored with the Yeti. I bought it right when they first came out and have been hammering on it ever since. However I saw the Bomber Kit was coming out sometime soon...i'll buy one of those!

Came accross a fellow member here selling a complete Bomber cage for a good deal and snatched it up. So the money I save buying the cage over the kit can go right into the upgrades and Ill end up much better off. But most RCC nuts like myself like scratch builds anyway.

Parts list so far:
Yeti...donating the whole rear axle, shocks, trailing arms and front HD gears.

VP V2 housings
VP scale c hubs and knuckles
VP servo plate
Incision wraith steering kit
HD 38/13 front, HD 43/13 rear
Axial Unis
Stock lockers for now. Will swap them for LURC FIs at some point.
Incision or JT hobbies Bomber link kit (depending on what the LHS has in stock)
Wildboar HD shafts...they seem to hold up for me and light weight

DMG Bomber to wraith trans plate is in the mail. The stock trans is a heavy turd and I dont need the 2 speed option

Axial 3150 Vanguard system. Unsensored yes but this will be primarily a rock race rig...and I have it
Hitec 79XX servo (undecided)

Rolling stock- Axial R35 KR2s and CI DW foam on Motoworx Razors

Enough parts to get me going, but I still need to pick up more parts. Another housing, servo and other random stuff

Front axle done and ready to bolt in.

My thoughts so far...strongly considering running the shorter "wraith length" Trailing arms. Seen a couple of builds on here and it really looks better overall, not to mention the performance gain. As of right now Im just mocking up with stock Yeti arms

Last edited by gottorque; 06-14-2016 at 12:24 PM.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default re: gottorque's F-Bomb

Pulling some parts from your yeti, you should have pulled the whole front end and got a DMG IFS kit. Lol

For trailing arms, you should check out JEC racing SS wraith trailing arms.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Pulling some parts from your yeti, you should have pulled the whole front end and got a DMG IFS kit. Lol

For trailing arms, you should check out JEC racing SS wraith trailing arms.
While his setup is cool, I wanted to get away from the IFS. I'm more of a solid axle guy
Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Roller status. Incision links all around and with Yeti shocks, the ride height on this is just a bit lower than a stock rtr. Combine that with a light weight wraith trans, it should help the handling just a bit.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Re: gottorque's RR10

Since the wraith trans hits the stock electronics box I got creative. Modded a Wertymade electronics plate to fit between the cage and trans...for the ESC. Then notched the front of the fuel cell to fit the rubber grommet for the wires. RX is in the fuel cell and the antenna pokes out of the just an inch or two

Took it for a test run last night and all was well. Currently 56/16 and it scoots on 3s.

Time to button a few things up and finish the new panels.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

Ya know...

There is a duct tape available with a bacon print on it, you could wrap your panels for a real bacon bomber!

TheRage43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Name:  Bacon toober.JPG
Views: 1776
Size:  9.7 KB

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Ah the good old days....where crawlers didn't come in a box !
Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Finally managed to get some good run time on it. Did a bit of tuning on the front end, going from 35 to 20wt oil to try and liven up the front end, but I think i just need to try softer springs. I'm pretty happy with the rear suspension though. Killed that Tactic servo I had laying around, but I didn't expect it to last long so ill be getting a better one. Also threw on a Bomber radiator/fans from SBC.

New panels are made up also, just need to get some pics
Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

looks awesome, digging the action shots i agree that these things really do need to be softened up in the front... what shocks are you running?
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Re: gottorque's RR10

Running the original gold Yeti shocks front and rear. Always liked them on the Yeti, plus the fronts are 92mm which brought the ride height down from stock.

Rears are on the long side but the limit straps keep it under control.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Finally some real sizzle in the steering department. That Tactic servo didnt last one 2200 3s pack before destroying the internals...as expected. Hitec 7950 with a nice Axial servo horn. Also did a bit of clearencing on the back edge of the bumper for the horn to clear at full bump.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Since I last posted here, the Bomber got dubbed The F-Bomb, so to go along with the new panels I designed my own version of the "F Bomb" and had them cut in black. The panels are the aluminum RR10 set from CKRC and they are wrapped in matte orange carbon fiber vinyl. I had the panels done for quite a while but wanted to keep them nice till Axialfest, so now all bets are off and Ill beat the crap out of them.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I thought a bacon bomb was something the BBQ Pit Boys make.

https://youtu.be/t1IiUAtoNBk
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post
I thought a bacon bomb was something the BBQ Pit Boys make.

https://youtu.be/t1IiUAtoNBk
While bacon is tasty, it was kind of a dumb name for a thread. I messaged a mod to change the name to something more fitting.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default Re: gottorque's F-Bomb

Where did you get the CF vinyl?
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite View Post
Where did you get the CF vinyl?
Amazon. Came in a big roll for like $10
Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #18
RCC Addict

One issue I've encountered is with the front suspension. I've found that the front end just was not active enough and tended to bounce the front end more than I'd really like. Going a decent clip through ruts and whoops, the rear suspension soaks up the bumps just fine and the front end would simply kick up (slap wheelie of sorts.) Ideally, I'd like to get the front end to behave similarly to that of a real solid axled Ultra 4 car; I feel this will allow the truck to float over the ruff stuff and contribute to a more balanced suspension overall

I attribute this to the minimal front end sprung weight of the cage/battery on the bomber, but in particular, mine.

Since building the rig, I had been running the stock Axial bomber springs on gold Yeti front shocks with zero preload on the collars. Now, it is worth noting I pretty much only run 2200 3s packs in this truck, which are are pretty light weight. Certainly a larger hardcase pack would affect the handling dynamics and those stocks spring probably would work better. Goes to show why there is never a be all end all tuning setup that works for everyone...getting it right is trial and error.

As we know, springs set the ride height and carry the load, so what better place to start than springs. My LHS happened to have a set of Hot Racing linear rate springs and in that kit was 3 different rate springs; a 1.4lbs/in (gold), 0.9lbs/in(Silver) and a 0.6lb/in(Black). And of course my purple rated Axial springs at 1.43/lb/in

To start, I installed the softest Black springs, just to see where it puts the truck. Right away, there is actually some static sag going on, which is what I was hoping for. I do have one of my 2200s in there as well. With the blacks, it is around 80% down and 20% up as part of the total travel. I can always add a few more turns on the pre load collars to raise it up just a bit.

I will try out the Silver rate springs also to see where it puts the up/down %s. 60/40 is about where i want the truck to be at ride height, but with testing that number can change. Once i get the ride height dialed in, I can then focus on damping. I hope to get a few packs through it and Ill report back.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I'm Interested to hear an update on your suspension set up. Great rig, I have a similar build but I'm running a MMP and ROC 412 3100 KV.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamgllc View Post
I'm Interested to hear an update on your suspension set up. Great rig, I have a similar build but I'm running a MMP and ROC 412 3100 KV.
I did run it a little while ago with those black springs and it was just too soft, especially for a brushless Rr10. Haven't had it out at all the past few weeks. I will bump up to the next rate spring and report back.

gottorque's F-Bomb - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gottorque's Underground Creeper gottorque Venom Creeper 72 09-05-2014 02:33 PM
gottorque's baXJa gottorque 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 07-08-2014 04:52 PM
gottorque's MAAAAD wraith gottorque Axial Wraith 13 12-10-2012 09:06 PM
gottorque's Project VelociRaptor gottorque 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 09-04-2011 01:55 AM
gottorque's finally done build gottorque Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 06-16-2010 04:12 PM