Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #241
RCC Addict

Default Re: The "Just shut up and build it" thread...

Inspiring write-up. Looking forward to building mine.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #242
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Inspiring write-up. Looking forward to building mine.
If you consider dragging a build out long enough to plant grape vines, harvest, make wine and call it vintage, then yes, it is a very inspirational thread.

@Dirk: Hope the new job's going well, buddy!

Last edited by 2mtech; 10-12-2018 at 12:22 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #243
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
If you consider dragging a build out long enough to plant grape vines, harvest, make wine and call it vintage, then yes, it is a very inspirational thread.

Hope the new job's going well, buddy!

Haha...yeah, you guys know I don't waste any time getting them done - I must have 8 or 10 bodies for my 3 ascenders and a new blazer.

My beer hauler - K10 RTR has been retired and put on display. Breaks my heart, but better than to keep breaking off the balsa keg.

I think I have everything I need to get my bomber kit running - maybe it will arrive at LHS today.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #244
I wanna be Dave

This thread was the inspiration for my thread title.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #245
I wanna be Dave

What's worse is that I have enough stuff to build 1.5 more Bombers....

Gotta come up with a new thread title for #2, it won't resemble a Bomber except from underneath.

It will get the Revolver from this build, and my HH PP 4100kv will be shoehorned in its place, along with MIP driveshafts and assorted other upgrades.

So this one will be the go-fast Bomber, and the other will be a lightweight crawler.

(I think)

As for the remaining parts - dunno yet.

Maybe handmade metal chassis rails cut from old beige-painted steel PC side panels, three layers thick and bolted together.

Some weird sh*t like that.

Still gotta paint my Associated Nomad body panels and install the T-Bone Racing bumpers and Proline F11/Badlands SC MX28 wheels and tires on my DB8 Desert Buggy...

...and paint my replacement Ascender K10 Chevy cab, wrap the cage's aluminum panels in scale diamond plate, and so on.

Thanks for the thread bump and the comments, guys!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #246
RCC Addict

Yeah, yeah, yeah. No excuses. Sounds like me. Go buy a steel Bomber cage, strip the paint to check the welds then go for speed records. No plastic to break. BTW, have you driven your DB8 yet? Looking for feedback.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Only driven the Nomad on pavement in the evening for a couple of battery packs- big parking lot behind my apartment...

It's ludicrously quick, but I'm used to slower vehicles, so take that how you want.

On 3S-30mph, 4S-40mph.

I'm looking forward to the weather letting up someday, so I can hit the dirt in it.

The reviews have stated that it's a very tough buggy, I figure with the upgraded bumpers and toothier tires it should be a holy terror!

I've got a whole extra cage and set of clear body panels -gonna spray the cage with matte clear and do a nifty design on the panels - hate the stock green paint (I ordered the tan one, but they screwed up my shipment)...

Last edited by durok; 10-12-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #248
I wanna be Dave

i just read this whole thread.
(yes in one day, shuddup 2mtech!)

AMAZING.
how you did all this, found all of the niche parts for this rig, and assembled it all in one go with NO SLEEP, took it out on its maiden voyage and it all worked... just... incredible.

13 pages is nothing... have you seen my 79 ford build page?! lol
i think a bomber is next for me. seems the ascender guys all gravitate towards this rig when the kid gloves come off?

"BOMBER. when ascender guys are no longer mister nice guy..."

super awesome thread man. and yes that revolver sounds rad. "Kaiser"? nein. more like DER MOND VAGEN lol
really looking forward to the "version 2" update to this rig.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #249
I wanna be Dave

Many thanks, my man - there are definitely going to be 2 total Bombers when I'm done.

(maybe 3?)

My current one will likely become the faster and heavier one after the dust settles.

However, I am currently in my procrastinating state... and who knows when I'll get my sh*t together.

I also am increasingly aware of my Nomad not being the kind of rig I really wanted, as it has never seen an additional battery pack (or dirt!).

It's gonna make someone happy as I'll sell it with T-Bone bumpers and Proline Badlands MX28 premounts on F11 wheels, as well as a new cage and unpainted body panel set.

I "might" be picking up a TRX4 Defender and eventually something Rally-ish in its place.

Gotta sell the Nomad first, though.

Also - need to finish the Ascender re-do, got a clear K10 body, new cage, new tires, etc for it.

Hard to find time and motivation now that I'm back workin' full-time, especially since my day starts at 4AM and my days off are split - no two-day weekends for me.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #250
RCC Addict

Yeah, it's a cool build. I got a lot of good ideas from it as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Awww....

It's still not truly "done", but what rig ever is?

As for the Team Associated DB8 Nomad - I can't find anywhere to run the dang thing.

I prefer slow nowadays, I guess.

Maybe if I ever get my own yard!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #252

Word. This thread helped me choose the Bomber as my first scaler and was a constant reference when I built it, finishing just in time to make the last day of Axialfest. I’m still finding myself reading your comments on many threads now that I’m researching my latest project. Danke, Durok.
Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #253
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i just read this whole thread.
(yes in one day, shuddup 2mtech!)
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fives View Post
Word. This thread helped me choose the Bomber as my first scaler and was a constant reference when I built it, finishing just in time to make the last day of Axialfest. I’m still finding myself reading your comments on many threads now that I’m researching my latest project. Danke, Durok.
Bitteschon, Mein Freund!

All this flattery just may lead to motivation...

Last edited by durok; 12-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Many thanks, my man - there are definitely going to be 2 total Bombers when I'm done.

(maybe 3?)

My current one will likely become the faster and heavier one after the dust settles.

However, I am currently in my procrastinating state... and who knows when I'll get my sh*t together.

I also am increasingly aware of my Nomad not being the kind of rig I really wanted, as it has never seen an additional battery pack (or dirt!).

It's gonna make someone happy as I'll sell it with T-Bone bumpers and Proline Badlands MX28 premounts on F11 wheels, as well as a new cage and unpainted body panel set.

I "might" be picking up a TRX4 Defender and eventually something Rally-ish in its place.

Gotta sell the Nomad first, though.

Also - need to finish the Ascender re-do, got a clear K10 body, new cage, new tires, etc for it.

Hard to find time and motivation now that I'm back workin' full-time, especially since my day starts at 4AM and my days off are split - no two-day weekends for me.
i hear ya on the procrastination thing. i didn't even want to LOOK at my bench during the summer. you referenced 100+ weather several times and champed it out anyway. my garage had to be near 110.

as for starting your work days at 4am, i know all about that too! when i lived in Temecula and drove down to san diego (70 mi each way) i had to be onboard at 0600 so... yep. doesn't help i am a night owl too. sometimes i would be wrenching until 3am, finish just in time to shower and go to work. (transmission failed on my daily, then water pump on another)

WORK HARD, PLAY HARD! OORAH!!!

*oh and i just might put "shuddup, 2mtech!" in my sig lol
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #256
I wanna be Dave

Gotta love the sounds from the Revolver! I absolutely love mine on the Rock Bouncer. The start up is insanely smooth and the torque is phenomenal. I'm giving serious consideration to throwing one in the Truggy as well. Great recommendation sir!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #257
I wanna be Dave

I just used an eBay 15% off coupon to order some SS links for Bomber #2, just need a few MIP driveline parts to replace those that have broken tooltips in their set-screws and I can resume the build.

Trying out a new supplier for the links, White Knuckle R/C Rock Crawlers/ American Machine Works Ohio...

Not sure if I will use my SSD trailing arms or try something else...
Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #258
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
INot sure if I will use my SSD trailing arms or try something else...
Blue Monkey trailing arms, perhaps? They are awesome, and good looking.
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #259
I wanna be Dave

Nope, Blue Monkey is basically dead... they are closed to the general public and will only do "batch builds":

Trailing Arms for Bomber, Blue Monkey RC

(hint read the message at the top of the page)

Thanks for the idea, though - my JEC Racing SS trailing arms are IMHO the best thing out there, might get some of his identical 7075 aluminum ones to save weight this time around -but he's got to get around to making them again.

Stainless steel and 7075 aluminum are very hard and slide over rocks extremely well.

They have the rod-ends frenched to protect them, best design out there.

SSD has the same idea, but are softer 6061-T6 aluminum and the set-screws are M3 instead of the stronger M4.

I would LOVE for them to slightly re-design theirs, even with the softer aluminum... at least they are in regular production!

JEC Racing arms (sometimes available from Super Shafty, as well - that's where I got mine):

Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #260

I like my stainless JEC arms on my Bomber. I'd love a set of the aluminum for my Yeti. I have a set of MFR arms on it now. They're super light and use the Revo rod ends, but they're so thin that the shock end actually protrudes out the bottom of the arm a bit.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

The "Just shut up and build it" thread... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cormier33's CC Smash Build "TEAM OTTSIX Post Season Build Off" official entry thread cormier33 Axial XR10 132 10-26-2014 11:04 PM
"DIABLO" Ottsix Post Season Build Off! offical build thread silver falcon 2.2 Scale Rigs 21 09-06-2014 06:08 PM
Jeep Commander quad pickup "Honcho II"-the build thread pantablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 77 07-28-2008 01:42 PM