Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Change stock 35T motor of RR10 Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Change stock 35T motor of RR10 Bomber

Hi,

I intend to upgrade the stock 35T motor as I find it slow if I want to do some bashing. Crawling is OK. If I do want to change it with this Holmes Hobbies trailmaster BL 540 3100KV. What are the other things that I should consider upgrading as well.

Can I use the existing esc, gearings, etc... and just change the motor.

Appreciate your feedbacks.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Wehlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Change stock 35T motor of RR10 Bomber

A new ESC to get it running and a 3S lipo. Then you'll quickly need HD diff gears, maybe metal C hubs and knuckles and metal links/servo horn. Maybe even new wheels and hubs. From what I've read, the powerful brushless motors basically eat the Axial drivetrain for breakie apart from the gearbox which is really tough. You may also need the CVDs if you have dogbones but my Yeti seems fine on dogbones with a 3S 3150kv 16/54 setup.

It gets expensive quick as these trucks were never designed for mega power.

If you wish to say double the speed, 3S 550 can brushed is good value and you won't constantly have the RR10 sitting on it's roof (it doesn't like going fast without major changes - locked solid diffs, drag brake, high COG etc).
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
A new ESC to get it running and a 3S lipo. Then you'll quickly need HD diff gears, maybe metal C hubs and knuckles and metal links/servo horn. Maybe even new wheels and hubs. From what I've read, the powerful brushless motors basically eat the Axial drivetrain for breakie apart from the gearbox which is really tough. You may also need the CVDs if you have dogbones but my Yeti seems fine on dogbones with a 3S 3150kv 16/54 setup.

It gets expensive quick as these trucks were never designed for mega power.

If you wish to say double the speed, 3S 550 can brushed is good value and you won't constantly have the RR10 sitting on it's roof (it doesn't like going fast without major changes - locked solid diffs, drag brake, high COG etc).
Thank you for the inputs. Will consider it.

Damn! Upgrading is not that cheap though... preferrably will be eating noddles the whole month after the upgrades...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Wehlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For me, speed isn't a major concern. I'm more interested in crawling around through various rugged terrain. I think if I want speed, it would be better for me to purpose build a new truck.
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think if I had the dollars I'd do a crazy powerful Bomber with 2 speed sensored 550 but I could still be a tad frustrated about the attempt of marrying a crawler with something really fast. You just can't get both worlds to meet so you're stuck with a terrible handling super fast crawler or a awful crawler that handles ok.

I can't see you ever without a dual independent suspension setup getting it close to a SC Truck for example.

That's why I have gone brushed 550 for my Bomber. It's cheap, works great inside the envelope of crawler handling and it's rock solid reliable. I guess I do wish for more but my totally locked Rock Rey just runs rings round it in handling (even with all locked diffs so it's a fair comparison) so it gives me major pause. The Bomber just isn't wide enough IME. The RR also takes crazy power without a single mod too unlike the Axial.

For the record I seriously love my Bomber.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Change stock 35T motor of RR10 Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber sean_cj7 Axial RR10 Bomber 27 09-11-2017 02:15 PM
Axial RR10 Bomber RTR - Back In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-07-2017 01:46 PM
Motor and gearing RR10 Bomber xrider79 Newbie General 2 01-30-2017 03:32 PM
RR10 Bomber stock servo died. Wehlee Axial RR10 Bomber 9 08-12-2016 04:11 PM