Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My IFS Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My IFS Bomber Build

Looking forward to hearing your opinion with the diff putty Old.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #162

sounds good, looking forward to the new putty. I am about to start buying all the stuff for a B1B and this is my biggest back and forth. I will probably go with the locked from just based off my driving style and the occasional burst of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
I really like the open diff when I'm doing high speed runs. A locked front can't make corners like an open can.

But for crawling purposes, it's OK, but I'm not sure I recommend it if that is your forte. I have the Racers Edge Diff Putty on order that I'm going to try with it before switching back to fully locked. I hear those will really lock this up and only allowing movement when really bounded up to save the front end. I'll report back after I get those in.

But in short, it really depends on your purpose.

For me, I wish the 20M wt Diffy putty had a little more grab, so if the Racers edge can provide that, I'll be sticking with the open diff. If not, back to locked, since I do more trail than open high speed.
Stretch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #163
Quarry Creeper

The Racers Edge Diff Putty should get here by mid next week, but my next good trail run is scheduled 2 weeks from now. I'll see if I can roll it around the week stuff in my neighborhood prior to and give you an early assessment report.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #164
Quarry Creeper

Guys,

The Racers Edge Diff Putty came in last night and I swapped it in last night. Did not run the truck yet, but initial thoughts are this grips much much stronger than the Gravity.
When I'm spinning one of the tires, I would have a apply a lot more grip to hold the other tire. This feels like the "limited slip" I'm looking for. The truck probably won't corner as well as before, as I have a feeling this will act like a true spool/locker except for those times when you're bound up pretty good, which can help preserve the front axle.

If the weather holds up, I'll try and do a quick run/video in my neighborhood.

If all goes well, I may even consider putting this in the rear of the B2B as well .

And thanks for recommending these 84Yoda! Much appreciated!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Do you think the putty will soften when it gets warmer from running and then allow more "slip"?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #166
Quarry Creeper

Bil,

I ran a full 3s pack yesterday with this and am VERY impressed!
In the beginning were spirited full throttle racing around with my son for about 30 min. I was focusing on cornering trying to see how the front reacts to hard turns. You could tell the front was "locked" a lot more than the Gravity.
I then went onto crawling for about 1/2 hour or so, and purposely trying to put it in positions that required the front to pull it out and it stayed locked for the most part. In some situations it released a little and you can see one wheel stall, but you can tell it really wants to roll, but b/c it's so bound up it doesn't. I really feel like this will save the front axles from twisting.

I did notice it is a little softer towards the end, but not too bad. How I could tell it soften a little was a little less effort required to hold the one wheel, while spinning the other, but still required some effort.

It certainly is not like a fully locked rig, but it's pretty close.

In short, this is probably not recommended for the U4 folks out there b/c they require the better high speed handling that the Open diff provides, but for what I do, Trailing, bouncing, crawling, racing this seems perfect. (However I'm not ready to say I will run this in the rear of the B2B. Will keep that locked)

Here is the Racers Edge Diff Putty. It feels like an old stale piece of cheap gum - similar density, maybe slightly stickier. It was really difficult to try and dig the whole putty out of the jar because it was so dense.

I pulled out this little bit and it seems like it hang here forever. Had to shake it a ton just to have it expand and rip off.

The putty does not self level like the Gravity 20M. You have to push down as much as you can.

Here is a video of the run. I was trying to get in position to rely on the front. You can compare it to the Gravity 20M video I posted a couple pages back.

Racers Edge Diff Putty

from Old Man on Vimeo.

Versus

Gravity 20M wt Diff Silocone

from Old Man on Vimeo.

Last edited by *Old*; 06-08-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did notice it is a little softer towards the end, but not too bad. How I could tell it soften a little was a little less effort required to hold the one wheel, while spinning the other, but still required some effort.
If you find the Racers Edge putty softens up too much when it heats up, try Ride diff putty. It is the same concept as the Racers Edge stuff but is temperature stable and doesn't change consistency with heat.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #168
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
https://vimeo.com/user63077290/racers-edge-diff-putty

Btw, How do I get the video file image to show here instead of the link?
Click on the share button, and copy and paste the 'iframe src=...' link into your post here. Your video still appears vertical, as you can only fix that by holding the camera horizontally.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #169
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Click on the share button, and copy and paste the 'iframe src=...' link into your post here. Your video still appears vertical, as you can only fix that by holding the camera horizontally.
You the Man DavidH!!
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #170
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If you find the Racers Edge putty softens up too much when it heats up, try Ride diff putty. It is the same concept as the Racers Edge stuff but is temperature stable and doesn't change consistency with heat.
Thanks for the heads up SVT. Racers Edge is not terrible under heat. It's barely noticeable I think. But I may try the Ride Diff putty if these don't work out.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #171
Quarry Creeper

What's up yall.
Wanted to post an update with a new body on the B1B!
As mentioned earlier, I gave my daughter the B1B, and she really wanted to make it her own with a new paint job.
Originally I used the wrong paint (spray paint for plastic instead of polycarb) and it chipped off like crazy. Let that be a lesson learned!

I tried to remove the paint that didn't chip by spraying on some "Goo Off", and it was working, however, I went a little overboard and it ate into the lexan a little

So, my daughter wasn't thrilled, but took this as an opportunity to try and get another body style to fit...On with the Pro-Line Jeep body, made for the Axial Yeti. Since the B1B is essentially a Yeti that can crawl way better, should fit easily right?

The goal is to mount the body in a way that you can easily remove and mount to access the battery, etc. I found that the best way to achieve this is with magnets and extended body post.

As you can see, the body fits the Bomber well. With the front fenders, if completely followed the line to cut it, some of the Bomber frame/cage would be exposed, so I left some on there.

I mounted these Traxxas Part # 3725X long body post onto the battery holder. Removed the existing 3mm screws and these screwed on perfect.

You can barely see, but in the pic above, I used zip ties on the front of the bomber cage to pull it in a little so the grill can fit over without cutting.

Used Loctite G02 Glue on some "rare" earth magnets. What I like about this glue is it adds a layer of protection over the magnets so it won't chip when it slams into the metal.

Mounted some thin metal (I believe 22 or 24guage), from some old Simpson Deck ties I had leftover from way back, for the magnets to attach to.

For the rear, I wanted to mount a spare tire and use that to help hold the rear down. The DMG spare tire mount fit perfect and did not require me to cut off the rear of the body, but the screw is too short with the body in the way. So I screwed on this Body post, from Axial AX31353.

I can now use a body clip to clip the spare tire on, so it's easy on and off.

My daughter wanted a black widow as her logo on top

Fits perfect and I just need remove 3 body clips to take off the entire body. Simple! Best of all, my daughter loves it!

Rather than modify the front Jeep grill to fit the Exo bumper, I swapped it for the Yeti Bumper # AX31112. I will say, I'm not a fan of this bumper as it feels too soft and it sticks out way too far, reducing the approach angle.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #172
RCC Addict

Damn you photobucket
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #173
Quarry Creeper

I know man!

When I get some time, I'm going to upload the photos to imgur and edit these!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #174
I wanna be Dave

Seriously, I bet PB is totally dead now. What a terrible decision on there end.

It really sucks for people like *Old* who had all that time invested but do they honestly think anyone will pay $400 a year? Lol.

Anyways, Im running the racers edge diff lock (center) and macks silicone ear plugs (front) in my rock rey and absolutely love it. Id say macks ear plugs is slightly softer then racers edge but just barely. Still locks up awesome. To me, this is the way to go if you want a locker feel but not the broken parts like front shafts.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #175
Quarry Creeper

About that Racers edge putty! - it's so strong at locking, that I sheered off one of the DLux Titanium output drives before it gave way. WTF!
This was actually on my B2B, so I'll post the details on that thread, but damn!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #176
RCC Addict

Nice job! What type of crash/wreck/binding caused that?

I see you switched to imgur as well. It seems to be good for me as well except it doesn't auto resize pics like PB did. So my mobile uploaded are huge. I ended up downloading an app to resize pics before uploading to imgur.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #177
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Nice job! What type of crash/wreck/binding caused that?

I see you switched to imgur as well. It seems to be good for me as well except it doesn't auto resize pics like PB did. So my mobile uploaded are huge. I ended up downloading an app to resize pics before uploading to imgur.
Yeah, I'm liking imgur so far. And imgur does have an option to change the size.

I upload from a computer, not phone, but before I upload, on the right, you can choose which album and what size to upload. I choose the "message board" size.

But what cause this breakage was not a wreck or anything. Just racing around at full throttle for about 5 min and then bam, the thing starts pulling hard to the left. I didn't realize it at first and kept running around for a few minutes until I realized I only had 3 wheel steer.

I jokingly say the Racers edge is so grippy, it shreds titanium, but truthfully, not very impressed with this titanium they used. No way it should break with an unlocked front. So odd

My IFS Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 375 04-11-2024 07:56 AM
Yoda's RR10 Bomber Build... B1B IFS! 84yoda Axial RR10 Bomber 80 04-03-2023 02:07 PM
Hwin ifs bomber erickhe Axial RR10 Bomber 17 05-22-2018 12:31 AM