Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Parts bin B1b Bomber with a twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Parts bin B1b Bomber with a twist

When I fist started researching buying a Bomber, I would drool over bilinvic's and SCREAMERS B1b builds, as I am sure many do. However, I never considered one for myself. Recently while cleaning up some parts for a multitude of RC builds, It dawned on me that I had most all the pieces of a B1B. Basically all except the actual B1b kit and a Wraith Trans.... This all was happening while my Yeti was torn down for a basic rebuild. I've had great success and tons of fun (more importantly) with this yeti all of last year. It has dominated our local U4 races, has countless laps on it, has remained basically stock while being totally over powered! Well long story short after speaking with Jerry the DMG a few times. Explaining my situation, how I would love to run a Bomber/Yeti trans in the B1b. Jerry put me into a hold pattern for a week or so, told me to sit tight as he had something up his sleeve. Sure enough a week later, Jerry let me know My B1b kit was "ready to rock". #27

I decided I am going to use the same logic for this build as my yeti, only buy what it needs to work, and keep me in front of my friends on the track. I also decided to cannibalize the Yeti for the build, and use my old original bomber cage/ panels. I don't want to dump a ton into the build until I prove to myself it can be as competitive/ fun as my Yeti. Lets just say after 1 3s 5000mah shake down Pack, and 2 4s 5000 mah Packs, a bunch of parts have been ordered. Keep in mind I just received this yesterday at noon.

Some things to note that I didn't realize when building from the Yeti... The transfer cases are not the same. You will need to Flip the rear axle/ R&P. The WB8 driveshafts I had on hand were too short. I ended up making up a rear shaft from a couple Baja Rey shafts, as it was the only thing I had that fit. The front CVD in the yeti Kit is too long (even with the transfer case output flipped) Just by a touch too. I ended up using random WB8's I had on hand.

I'm not patient and wanted to get this built/ shook down/ and Ready to race for Sunday. Sorry guys, no build pics. To my delight a few small suspension changes and I feel I can be back on top. This setup is much easier to drive fast. Much more throttle driveable, and handles way flatter then the Yeti. All in all I am pumped!!! As I have told the DMG, value to dollar spent, his kit is untouchable in the RC world! Nuts I can spend more on wheels, a single axle, an ESC, a motor etc. I feel this kit is worth its weight in gold.

Main differences I can see with my Kit, obviously the Printed Skid. It allows us to run a Yeti/ Bomber trans with a Bomber transfercase. It also allows the front to be attached without a bend, keeping the bottom completely flat. Here are some pics from the first shakedown. (obviously not the finished product).

Quick build rundown at this time

Chassis/front end
DMG B1B w/ Updated Chassis plate/ High Clearance skid
Yeti Trans/Yeti transfer case (made a quick bracket)
16/42 Gearing
Yeti Kit Trailing arms
Vanquish ti upper arms
Yeti Kit complete front end
Vanquish Castor Blocks
Vanquish Knuckles
Vanquish Rack
Vanquish Servo horn
Custom Ofna servo saver
Serpent Ti "drag Link"
Open front Diff 500k fluid HD Bevel Gear 38/13
RPM A-arms
Axial 94mm Uni's

Axle
Axial "full width" kit
Dlux U4 Aluminum Truss
Stock locker 38/13 HD Bevel Gear

Suspension
Front
90mm Slash front Proline powerstroke
100mm Red Springs/Red Primary Spring no preload 45wt Tall Rod ends

Rear
100mm Proline Powerstroke Slash rear
100mm Yellow/ Red primary 10wt
Proline Powerstroke XT's naked 10wt

Sway
Reversed stock /Yeti links

Wheels/ Tires
Axial Walker Evans IFD(bomber kit)
Ottsix VooDoo U4's
CI Deuces Wilds

Electonics
Castle MMX
Savox 2290
Holmes Hobbies PP 3500XL
Revolectrix Silver Blend 435 4s 5000mah

Last edited by Lanky; 02-10-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: update parts list
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Parts bin B1b Bomber with a twist

Awesome work bro!

So the main difference between the new B1B and the old is the new allows you to run the Bomber/Yeti trans while the old requires the Wraith? No other differences? It's nice to have options
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

WoW that was fast
looks killer !!
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice build. Holmes 3500XL on 4s, very nice
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Awesome work bro!

So the main difference between the new B1B and the old is the new allows you to run the Bomber/Yeti trans while the old requires the Wraith? No other differences? It's nice to have options

Thanks Basically from what I gather, if you want to run the bomber/ yeti style trans, you have to run the DMG's high clearance skid. I'm not sure it's a matter of Old vs New, more of a what works better for the end user. I really do like the completely flat underbelly, with a seamless transition from the skid to front chassis. I'd assume that you could also get a High clearance Skid for the wraith trans and maintain the flat chassis as well...

Last edited by Lanky; 02-03-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DMG View Post
WoW that was fast
looks killer !!
I literally couldn't wait! I'm proud to be racing it this season... Swung by the LHS to pickup some shock fluid/ diff fluid, ended up scoring a bunch of parts for it.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Awesome...I hope you keep us up-to-date during the racing season.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 AM   #8

How does it handle? Does it still Crawl decent if needed?
Twisted_ReapeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Take a look at the other build threads on the B1b. Below is a link to bilinvic's and a video of his crawling.

bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Awesome...I hope you keep us up-to-date during the racing season.
Sure will, I can already tell this setup will be a winner... Spent some time on the suspension/ sway bar in the rear/ clearance'in the rear truss . I'll have to post some pics of it... I now have full bump in the rear, with the truss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_ReapeR View Post
How does it handle? Does it still Crawl decent if needed?
"Handle" is tuff to explain. I can say, for my purpose(U4 style/ woods tracks/), it took basically no effort to make it as fast as my Baja Rey if not faster. My Yeti, I could never pull full throttle without being completely out of control on 3s.... this morning I can pull full throttle from a dead stop 4s.

I'd be willing to say, the DMG shock tower alone, has made an easy 50% improvement over both the front and REAR feel.

Crawling, I cant comment on... Open front and a huge breakover.... Bouncing?!?! tuff to beat!!!!

Last edited by Lanky; 02-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

New parts installed:

Savox 2290
Vanquish 25T 24mm Horn (perfect size for my B1b)

Vanquish steering rack/ castor blocks/Knuckles

Parts Ordered:
Vanquish Bell Crank(not sure I'll use it)
Bomber Pannels
Bomber Transfer case
New WB8's

Last edited by Lanky; 02-08-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ended up breaking the stock servo saver testing Saturday evening, no replacement to be had at my LHS... Being that I have a Vanquish bell crank on order, I ended up making a old ofna Servo saver arm work... I've had this part in a bin for only about 15 years, finally used it!! I decided to waterproof my fuel Cell and use it as the radio box. Ended up throwing a Proline 6" LED bar and a EXO rear Led bar on it. New swaybar position works great, no interference anywhere! The more time I spend with this, the more addicted I become, this is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I have the front end exactly where it needs to be. Here are some quick pics.

New no bind servo saver arm!

My suspension tuning expert/Trail companion

Headed to a test and tune/race (bunch of buddies from the LHS)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Proud to report that not only did the B1b do well, She was dominate. I ended up winning 2 "heat" races. As suspected this thing is fast. Ended up loosing a grub screw in the front shaft during our "main" but still was able to skirt onto the podium and squeaked out 3rd. It was a good turnout 11 trucks. Usually we only have about 6/7 buddies able to attend. Looking forward to next Sunday!

Learned a lot about the truck, the rear likes to be set firmer then my yeti did, without as much dampening. Went to the Red primary/ Yellow spring setup, back to the 2 hole pistons 10wt fluid in the 100mm shock. I also swapped out the Axial Icon, for a Powerstroke XT I had from my yeti. I am running no spring/ 10wt oil.
In the front I shortened the front shock back to 90mm(was running it at 92mm, went to 45w oil, and added a few turns to the pre load adjuster. I also moved to the lower position on the shock tower to maintain the same ride height..

Testing/ Tuning the truck has proven that it is extremely durable design. I can not believe I haven't broken it yet.

I took some video of testing the setup (MMX/3500XL/4s) I used my phone in my pocket, witch isn't easy, uploading it now, hopefully I can post it hear shortly. (dont expect a quality video, I couldn't see what I was filming!)

This is the only video that you can even see the truck on my creek loop(filming from my jacket Pocket). This is about 1/5 of my track, sadly some of the track is submerged at them moment...

This is a Video I was trying to capture showing the Latest Castle firmware and the HH PP 3500XL on 4s.

Another video trying to depict the smoothness of the latest firmware... the standard is still smoother, but the XL is dramatically better with the latest Firmware. Keep in mind I can still Gear down 6 teeth. The sway bar is set to its tightest position, and my front diff is open. I also have the truck setup fairly low.

Last edited by Lanky; 02-07-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That is awesome bro. Thanks for posting the vids man. 4s really puts this rig in another realm of speed!!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
WoW that was fast
looks killer !!
Where can I order the flat bottom plate???

I like that!
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breat 1.8T syncro View Post
Where can I order the flat bottom plate???

I like that!
you have B1B kit right ? don't you !
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Small Update.. Been having an absolute blast tinkering with this B1b!!

Finally got the Traxxas Maxx shaft installed in the rear(baja rey back up and running) Thanks SCREAMER for the part#'s! I also Scored a deal at my LHS on a set of LED lights off of a 1/5 scale for $10! They are super bright and remain semi tucked in. (Killed the Proline 6" light bar in a day).

Decided to go with Wraith length 7075 JEC's to shrink the wheelbase a touch. Ordered some SSD D windows/ CI DW talls to fit my Flatline XL's for more clearance. The current LIRC wheels that they are mounted to won't clear the Knuckle.

Only issue that has arose is I had a semi Slipper clutch failure. The backside of the Slipper plate was getting eaten by the engine mount I was running the slipper pretty tight. I remedied the condition by adding a bearing to the top shaft exterior of the transmission, and a small spacer, now all is well. The Yeti/Bomber trans still impresses me with the punishment it has endured completely stock!

I ended up grabbing a chest mount for my go pro so I can record stomach-able video's

Did I mention, I love this thing?!?!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

There's a lot to like about this build. Very nicely done sir. I'd love to do this conversion on one of mine someday as well. Kudos to DMG for creating it!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Huge thanks to Rpp Hobby!! I couldn't believe my eyes this am when I check the mailbox, and I had a package from them!!

Had another few hours to put into the B1b today.... I was planning one making a few changes going to the taller tire/foam, mainly just lowering it some. At first I was kicking myself, and considering going back to the VooDoo's. After getting the new wheels/ foams installed into my flat Irons, it quickly became apparent, major changes needed to be made. The taller foam really changed the entire suspension, from spring rate to castor/ dampening to toe/ roll center to camber... Long frustrating mid day to say the least. Long story short, I am back to a solid "raceable" setup, still some tweaks I'll be making.

SSD wheels are killer, mounted easy, look great, super light. All in all I lost weight going to the taller tire/ taller foam/ new wheel! CI foam really woke up the Flat iron's. Squared the shoulders, did exactly what I was hoping. I did end up shaping them a bit to fit my needs, may still go back and drill some more holes, time will tell...

I cannot wait until my new body work shows up, make this well used bomber look fresh again!

Couple more boring pics... dig the wheels... Only problem is I have no Idea what color to paint it now... I was going to do UPS brown and have the wheels anodized candy gold, but after seeing the wheels in person, they are staying silver. So maybe simple black/grey...

Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
you have B1B kit right ? don't you !
Yes I got it Jerry, just didn't have time to start. But the flat bottom one gets me thinking...
Breat 1.8T syncro is offline   Reply With Quote

Parts bin B1b Bomber with a twist - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rjohns B1B Bomber Rjohn929 Axial RR10 Bomber 16 06-30-2017 09:06 AM
Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal Irishchamp Axial RR10 Bomber 21 09-05-2016 10:26 AM
Project "parts bin" Oldschool with newschool twist bent70 EnRoute Berg 7 05-04-2010 01:50 PM