Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Trail Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Bomber

I recently picked up a RTR as a slider. This is my second Bomber and I've changed goals. The first was a basher but I didn't really drive it much because of my terrain. So I traded it off and regretted that move. So I waited and found a slider for about the same as I had invested in the first one and scooped it up.

Initially, I've got a cheap 21t motor and a Hobbywing Crawler ESC with a program card. Stretched some 2.2 Ripsaws over some homemade foams on a set of the wide offset RPM Revolvers. On 3s the motor gets hot fairly quick and I'd guess it would've. So I looked around for a CHEAP brushless ESC to handle power and long run times. I've got some 2s 50000mAh and a couple of 3s 3000mAh I want to use for long run times out beating on a trail or walking path somewhere. I found a programmable HPI pull off Flux Rage 80a 4s capable. I'll pair that with a 2650kV 3670 motor. The ESC is in my hands but the motor is in transit. Sensorless cogging shouldn't be too much of an issue because I'm wanting more speed than slow crawling. I'm hoping the 20mm longer can will provide additional torque.

I wanted to change color of the panels without buying new ones or painting these. So I ordered some 'automotive grade' vinyl and wrapped it. This was my first attempt so hopefully I can work the wrinkles on the hood out next time.

Storm Trooper mode

One of the biggest complaints was the turning radius due to the locked front axle. So I got a pull off diff from an SMT ar60 and will install when I get a chance. I also got a set of the Axial kit aluminum links from RCC.

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trail Bomber

I got the links installed and the open diff installed yesterday. I packed the diff full of grease in hopes of maybe limited slip...nope. But it does well enough.

I always use Royal Purple on everything.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'm interested in how that 3670 motor performs. I've been eyeing that size as an upgrade option.
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Me, too.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I currently have a 3300Kv 3660 can and 80A ESC in my Wraith. I mostly trail and a bit of easy crawling. Its fun. But Im about to drop a Mamba X and Roc412 3500Kv sensored in it...
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The motor should be delivered today. So I pulled the brushed and got my gears I want for the brushless and didn't realize something. I didn't remember that the Bomber uses a sandwich slipper for the spur and not the bolt on type slipper. I have a steel spur I picked up in a package buy and want to run it.

Has anyone just bolted a spur to the plate behind the slipper plate? It looks to be cast aluminum and not stainless like the slipper plates. Would this hold even hold up? It did center up like it should.

Mocked up.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've ran it around my yard with the steel spur mounted this way and it has done fine. But I'd like to slow it down slightly so I'll be putting the 64tooth back on.

The $45 ESC I found NOS.
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101712

And the $25 3670 motor.
http://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-36...l?rmmds=search

The ESC has 6mm connectors and I had to retrofit what I had on hand since my LHS didn't have 6mm bullet ends for the motor leads.

I'm liking on these together and the ESC is fairly simple to program. It's just time consuming to do it the long way like the ae-3 is. On 2s it's under a jog maybe. On 3s it's looks like a run. I cut the two way deans off and resoldered a single deans back on or it'd be good for 4s. No need as I'll never want that much and I don't think the stock drivetrain wouldn't handle it.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Bomber

Slight update. I swapped the 3670 motor out for a 4068. Both are sensorless and labeled as 2650kV. This feels like it has considerably more torque. The motor was a direct fit without any modifying, so that was good. I'll run a few 2s packs through it this week and maybe try a 3s just to see. But I think mission is accomplished as for drivetrain. Aesthetics are next.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Interesting to go open diff for steering.

I noticed massively better steering when I swapped the front dogbones for CVDs and some say the Axial universals have even more range.

I don't think I would give up the massive traction you get with the front mounted battery & locked front end.

I use 1M weight oil in my Yeti XL rear diff and that is close to a limited slip. It gets loose when doing high speed runs, burnouts, powerslides and such.

I know some use bees wax or putty.
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Is open front or rear better for steering? I have heard of monster truck guys putting silly putty in the diffs
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Have you ever turned a locked 1:1? Its definitely easier on the drivetrain and will lead to a tighten radius.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Have you ever turned a locked 1:1? Its definitely easier on the drivetrain and will lead to a tighten radius.
I have not, but on other forums (rc monster truck) guys were locking up front diff and not rear
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
I have not, but on other forums (rc monster truck) guys were locking up front diff and not rear

I think that may be more of a preference especially if they're competing. Landing on a single rear tire with a locked rear would end in cartwells with a bit of throttle. Too little and likewise, I'd assUme.

I put a front open diff for my preference of trailing and light bashing in washouts and the like. Medium to high speed stuff.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

My Yeti XL is open both with 1M oil in the rear and it is great at high speed....

My Bomber is locked both front and rear and super easy to traction roll.

Your totally right.

But there is 0 chance I give up the crawling and climbing performance of that locked front end on the Bomber!

It is too good.

But to each his own.

I am enjoying following your build as it is clearly something unique and different.
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Bomber

I've got two Wraiths, a dedicated crawler, and am working on a scaler as well as a 1.9 Wraith. The Bomber fits in between the Wraith and my Exo...sort of.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 06-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

My wife got a vinyl cutting machine and I've put it to use for myself. First ideas were to make body wraps for the Trail Bomber, but the vinyl I have on hand in the color I wanted sucks at sticking. Looked good at 10-15'.

The programming for this machine allows you to copy/trace images then you can resize and stretch them to suit your wants. I removed a Bomber side panel and heated it so that I could flatten it out. Then scanned it and put it into the program. Then I ordered a small sheet of .040" lexan in hopes this machine would cut it. But it can't do it. Although it leaves a good etch in it. Deep enough that a few good pulls off a hobby knife will allow you to break the lexan on the cut.

So I only had a sheet big enough for two side panels and a strip I will make into a panel for the rear of the cab. Now I have a few more sheets ordered as well as some .030, some .010, and some .007" for experimenting. I'll leave this here for anyone else to have. The Wraith side panel is a HarleyDesigns short panel found here: http://www.harleydesigns.com/index.p...box-templates/ I ripped off his 1" square reference block, too.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 08-18-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Default Trail Bomber

New panels in red but I should've done blue.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
Slow is the new Fast

Rig is Lookin good. Makes me want one of those vinyl cutters.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
Rig is Lookin good. Makes me want one of those vinyl cutters.

I'm glad she got it.

Trail Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM
Trail bomber kdub41 Paint and Body 3 05-04-2016 03:01 PM
Axial bomber or trail truck Weichert crawling Newbie General 11 01-15-2016 09:00 AM