Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Just fyi, instead of the quick connect, a simple 3" extension added works since it puts the connector on the outside of the rx box to hook up to castle link.
I do this exact same thing, and for the Servo as well. Didn't like having to go into the receiver box to unhook shit.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

I stripped the hex completely out on one of my wheels in a rock pile just before I was to install the brushless setup, so I ordered a set of the Axial Method wheels from RC Recycler for $29. They came with hubs and the hardware, which is what I really needed to get it running again, plus once they are painted I think they will look awesome. I mounted one of the new hubs on one of the wheels donated by notajerryskid and swapped the tire over. It looks a little funky right now with one black wheel, but I am operational. I'm headed out later today to put the first real battery pack through it since I got the MMP and Tenshock installed. I'll be running 3s primarily, but 2000UZJ brought along one of his 4s 95c drone batteries for me to try out. Gearing right now is 11t/64t. I'm guessing it'll be less than 30 minutes until I break something. I'll post pics of the wildly successful or carnage-filled outing tonight.

Last edited by supra_89t; 03-14-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: syntax error
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

Well, 4s is, uh, AWESOME! She runs strong on 3s. The tires balloon slightly on 3s, but 4s is madness! I managed to keep everything in one piece, somehow. Sorry, no pics of the fun. It was just too damn cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

So, I am facing a bit of a decision...I really really dislike the blue on the factory shocks. They completely clash with the black/red/silver color scheme I am going with, as you can clearly see when you look at my pictures. I think I am happy with the performance of the factory shocks, but I am new to this, so maybe I just haven't figured out they suck yet. I have thought of replacing the blue parts with the other color pieces, but for the price of a whole new (fancy) suspension, uh no. So I am basically trying to decide which way to go with the suspension. I do like to crawl, but after dropping in a 4s pack the other day, I know there is also some donkey hauling in the cards for this Bomber.

Option 1: I can get Traxxas T-Maxx shocks on ebay all day long for $20/set of 4 and they are black/red/grey, but preload must be adjusted with the spacers (which I don't really mind), and they don't have upper pivot ball thingies and no telling how the springs work, so I would have to work that out.

Option 2: Gmade XD Piggyback 103mm, roughly $32/pr ($64/set), available now, will likely need soft springs for front.

Option 3: Gmade XD Piggyback 113mm, expected price $32/pr ($64/set), 1-2 months out, same springs as 103mm with 5mm more travel.

I'm open to other ideas, as well, just not going to drop $100 on prolines. I can't bring myself to do it...I still need tires and foams and a 4s battery and charger.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Dlux has the Big-Bore parts needed for the upper ball-ends, and stock Axial springs fit fine. I switched to grey Axial springs in the stock Bomber rates cuz I hate blue too...

Now, for going with a no-preload setup, you can use Losi mini-T springs and Dlux no-preload spring cups. They come with o-ring preload spacers.

All available from Dlux.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Well, I have my first official broken part. Totally my fault. I was chasing 2000uzj's drone and misjudged my line at a distance. Bam! Tree 1, Bomber 0.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Broken lower link end

Old 03-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #48
Rock Stacker

Fixed, though the metal balls in the end of the links were two different sizes. One was too wide and one was a little sloppy. I used the sloppy one because the other wouldn't fit at all into the slot in the belly pan.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

I borrowed a small 4s pack to see how much of a difference it would make. Well, it makes it huge difference. At full stick, it just doesn't want to stay on the ground. So I ordered my own 4s pack. Time to work more on suspension tuning and lowering the COG. And driving. The good driver mod is the most important of all.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_89t View Post

Option 1: I can get Traxxas T-Maxx shocks on ebay all day long for $20/set of 4 and they are black/red/grey, but preload must be adjusted with the spacers (which I don't really mind), and they don't have upper pivot ball thingies and no telling how the springs work, so I would have to work that out.

Option 2: Gmade XD Piggyback 103mm, roughly $32/pr ($64/set), available now, will likely need soft springs for front.

Option 3: Gmade XD Piggyback 113mm, expected price $32/pr ($64/set), 1-2 months out, same springs as 103mm with 5mm more travel.

I'm open to other ideas, as well, just not going to drop $100 on prolines. I can't bring myself to do it...I still need tires and foams and a 4s battery and charger.
I just put a set of Traxxas Shocks GTR XX-Long #7462X on the rear of my sons bomber and tuned it with Associated Factory Team Rear Spring Kit 13mm #91077. They'er about 100mm in length.

I really like these shocks. It's mostly put together and you just add oil. And I don't see it leaking one bit. I like it so much, I'm considering replacing my 103mm GMade piggys on my B1B with these.

You'll need to replace the shock balls with the Traxxas rod ends #5347 so it can fit in the shock mounts. The ones it comes with is a little wide.

I also put the 93mm Gmades Piggys upfront on his bomber and I'm really liking this ride height, it handles much better.

I found the 93mm Gmades on Amazon for $20/set. I bought sets for my other rigs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually, looks like it went up a few bucks, but still a better deal than most places I've seen.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
I just put a set of Traxxas Shocks GTR XX-Long #7462X on the rear of my sons bomber and tuned it with Associated Factory Team Rear Spring Kit 13mm #91077. They'er about 100mm in length.

I really like these shocks. It's mostly put together and you just add oil. And I don't see it leaking one bit. I like it so much, I'm considering replacing my 103mm GMade piggys on my B1B with these.

You'll need to replace the shock balls with the Traxxas rod ends #5347 so it can fit in the shock mounts. The ones it comes with is a little wide.

I also put the 93mm Gmades Piggys upfront on his bomber and I'm really liking this ride height, it handles much better.

I found the 93mm Gmades on Amazon for $20/set. I bought sets for my other rigs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually, looks like it went up a few bucks, but still a better deal than most places I've seen.
Which of the springs from that set are you running on the rear? Adding it up, the shocks are $30, the springs are $10 and the rod ends are $10, so I am in the rear shocks $50. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much...I was thinking $50-ish for all four. I'm still rolling all around in my head...the blue HAS to go. I did just find the 103mm piggybacks on Amazon for $23/pair shipped...that may be the way to go. Thanks for the part numbers above.

On the 93mm shocks, which springs is he running and where do you have the height-adjusting ring set?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Which of the springs from that set are you running on the rear? Adding it up, the shocks are $30, the springs are $10 and the rod ends are $10, so I am in the rear shocks $50. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much...I was thinking $50-ish for all four. I'm still rolling all around in my head...the blue HAS to go. I did just find the 103mm piggybacks on Amazon for $23/pair shipped...that may be the way to go. Thanks for the part numbers above.

On the 93mm shocks, which springs is he running and where do you have the height-adjusting ring set?
I don't think the rod ends are $10, but you'll want these for spares for your links and other stuff anyway. But I see your point though on the total cost. I never checked, but if they sell the TA spring individually for much less, I would go this route.
I think we used the softest TA springs for the Traxxas. I'm really impressed with those shocks b/c it's relatively inexpensive and leak free and buttery smooth.

But the Gmade 103mm are really nice too - especially at $23 shipped. That's what I run on the rear of my B1B, with softest springs (green) I believe). I had some leak issues at first, but after modding it with the Traxxas X rings and green slime, they're now leak free

No wrong choice here

And my sons Bomber, he runs the Soft Green on his front, but I can't remember where he has the pre-load setting at. I can I snap a pic tonight if you want.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
I don't think the rod ends are $10, but you'll want these for spares for your links and other stuff anyway. But I see your point though on the total cost. I never checked, but if they sell the TA spring individually for much less, I would go this route.
I think we used the softest TA springs for the Traxxas. I'm really impressed with those shocks b/c it's relatively inexpensive and leak free and buttery smooth.

But the Gmade 103mm are really nice too - especially at $23 shipped. That's what I run on the rear of my B1B, with softest springs (green) I believe). I had some leak issues at first, but after modding it with the Traxxas X rings and green slime, they're now leak free

No wrong choice here

And my sons Bomber, he runs the Soft Green on his front, but I can't remember where he has the pre-load setting at. I can I snap a pic tonight if you want.
A picture is worth a thousand words! I would love to see how it sits with the 100mm rear and 93mm fronts, as well as how you have the traxxas shocks set up with the TA springs.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words! I would love to see how it sits with the 100mm rear and 93mm fronts, as well as how you have the traxxas shocks set up with the TA springs.
Ok, here are some pics.

I realized last night that his front 93mm Gmades actually has the medium (white) springs, that come with the Gmades. I forgot we put the Soft Green one on my other sons wraith.
I think the white is too stiff for his Bomber and will eventually go softer.

Preload on the front is set to the top and the static height is still too tall I think.

Static height on rear is much better

Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Fixed, though the metal balls in the end of the links were two different sizes. One was too wide and one was a little sloppy. I used the sloppy one because the other wouldn't fit at all into the slot in the belly pan.

I ran into the same issue, just used the smaller ball and small washers to get rid of the slop...
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #57
Rock Stacker

Picked up some Gmade shocks off rickrob through the classifieds. I got a bundle of 6: 4x103mm plus 2x93mm. I am going to try the two lengths out on the front and see which I like better. Best of all - no more blue!!!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

I'd go for the 93mm in the back and the longer ones up front.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I'd go for the 93mm in the back and the longer ones up front.
Interesting. That seems to be the reverse of "the general consensus." Have you done this and what improvements did you notice?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Interesting. That seems to be the reverse of "the general consensus." Have you done this and what improvements did you notice?

If you want it level. With stock link lengths the front axle is more forward than the mounts as compared to the rear. I put 93mm length shocks all around though.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Killer Craigslist find! Bansh88 Chit Chat 6 08-25-2013 02:48 PM
My craigslist find! New to trailing,,,, Demodude Axial SCX-10 61 05-23-2013 10:48 PM
Awesome craigslist find! must see! shadowrejects Chit Chat 3 08-12-2010 09:09 PM
craigslist find gyrene General Scale Talk 15 10-28-2009 06:01 AM
Craigslist Find Shaun Chit Chat 10 05-07-2009 02:48 PM