Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My Bomber Flips A lot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Bomber Flips A lot

I've been bombing my bomber for a week now. I'm fairly used to my yeti...which doesn't flip much, so it may be the two solid axles, but it might be that with the soft foams. It's the kit version and seems to happen when changing direction at speed.

If I upgrade my foams to deuces wild, will it flip less? or is this just how they are?
OkinawaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Bomber Flips A lot

The Bomber kit has a few things going on that don't help with high speed stability; the tire foams are soft allowing the sidewall to fold over while turning, much more steering angle than a Yeti which cause the tire to want to fold over more, and a track width that is much narrower than a Yeti.

Tire foams that provide more sidewall support and lowering the ride height will go a long way in adding stability.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Bomber kit has a few things going on that don't help with high speed stability; the tire foams are soft allowing the sidewall to fold over while turning, much more steering angle than a Yeti which cause the tire to want to fold over more, and a track width that is much narrower than a Yeti.

Tire foams that provide more sidewall support and lowering the ride height will go a long way in adding stability.
I'll try the deuces wild standard height foams in the stock wheels and tires and adjusting the ride height down.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Bomber will never handle speed better than the Yeti. That said, lower the COG and firm foams will help.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wider wheel hubs or axles will help with cornering stability as well
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

I found that it handled slightly better after I put the rear swaybar on also. Helps reduce body roll.
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Swaybar helps quite a bit. Lower the rig if you wish (i keep mine up higher as its more of a crawling rig)

Best thing has been foams though. I went with Comp cut double duces in a 5.5in medium outer and they work well... but if i had to go it again, with the stock tires, the 5.25in medium outer comp cuts would be a better fit.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

First thing my son and I did to our Bombers was install 90mm shocks in the front. Not only did it improve the stance, in my opinion, but it lowered the COG too.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Swaybar helps quite a bit. Lower the rig if you wish (i keep mine up higher as its more of a crawling rig)

Best thing has been foams though. I went with Comp cut double duces in a 5.5in medium outer and they work well... but if i had to go it again, with the stock tires, the 5.25in medium outer comp cuts would be a better fit.
I plan on it being more of a U4 style rig vs crawler, so I think the deuces wild will be the way I go.

as simple as it is, I hadn't thought yet about widening the stance, suggestions on that?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

you can get different wheels or wheel spacers for that. I bought these wheels off ebay and they widened each side by about 3/8" and they look great too! Hard to beat the price and i was impressed with the quality. I have the dw foams and had to dremmel the foams down quite a bit to get them to fit.

4Pcs 2.2" Alu Wheel Rims 1/10 Beadlock For RC Crawler Wraith off road rc car #7 | eBay

you can get method wheels and buy different spacing hubs as well. I think method hubs will work with the ebay wheels too.

Or you can buy spacing hexes like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112205807444...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

be sure to use locktight with these as they have a tendancy to come loose.
ternandbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

looks like the wheels i got are out of stock, but these are available.

4pcs Alloy 1/10 RC Crawler 2.2" Beadlock Wheel Rims with Hub fr Wraith #8 | eBay

Again, impressed with the quality for the price.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Also, the stock foams work ok with these wheels cause the wheels are a bit narrower. you could try that first.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It has been suggested; but, do you have a sway bar yet? If not, this helps a bunch. The Axial sway bar is stiff and would be great for the driving you are describing.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If you go too wide, you will hit your differentials and other axle housing parts on obstacles much more often - so moderation is best if going that route... don't want to start destroying those unnecessarily.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

yes, you can break steering and axle parts more easily too. Just a bit seems to be best.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
It has been suggested; but, do you have a sway bar yet? If not, this helps a bunch. The Axial sway bar is stiff and would be great for the driving you are describing.
Yeah it's the kit version so it has the axial sway bar.

Thanks for the input on wheels. Those look pretty alright for $60.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The upper links need to be spaced further apart on the axle side it realy stiffens up the suspention on the wraith the upper link on the axle side should be the same distance apart as the lower links on the skid side or close too it that will stop a lot of body role with out limiting articulation I know the bomber is a bit different in the rear but the theory is the same I can drift with my wraith now add sway bars on top of that and you have a high speed machine google 4 link suspention geomitry there are a lot of drawings and pictures out there that explain it all way better than I ever could

Oh and its a free mod you just need longer bolts for the upper links to move the links to the outside of the truss mount you can always go back to the original set up if you don't like it

Last edited by ferp420; 02-18-2017 at 04:40 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #18

Lowering the CG will help with roll overs but the biggest issue is, as your said, 2 solid Axles. On power turning will cause a lot of bite and roll her over. Opening one of the diffs will make you faster through the turns and should eliminate your roll overs. On low bite surfaces the solid axels work great because the wheel will slip, on high bite surfaces, on power turning is just too much grip for the solid axles.

When it rolls over turn your wheel all the way the left and put it in reverse the solid axles should also be an assist in standing it back up.
dshy is offline   Reply With Quote

My Bomber Flips A lot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get rid of flips when cornering fast? swissete Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 05-14-2014 03:11 PM
Flips Scjustin Videos! 2 08-25-2012 04:46 PM
diff flips vman Venom Creeper 2 09-27-2009 06:49 PM
MRC flips real easy.. crusher44x Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 18 03-22-2009 04:13 PM