Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber Increase speed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bomber Increase speed?

Just bought a Bomber after being out of RC's for probably a decade, only ever had Nitro so electric is new. Fun to play with, but this thing needs some more speed for outdoors. At the moment i'm running a 2S Lipo the hobby shop threw in with the car, is a 3S going to make a huge difference? Would like to get into the mid-high teens with harder acceleration but still keep the crawlability it has now.

I'm not too serious into RC, but while i'm unable to wheel full size i figured this might add some cheap(er) entertainment (i.e. not looking to spend $300+ on a set up).

For $175-$200 (or even less if there is a good option) what's the best set up available? I'm assuming I'll need to swap to heavy duty gears after this switch as well. I'd like to see how gearing is before deciding on the overdrive, stock or underdrive gear set.

It looks like I can get a Mamba Max Pro for ~$85 which would leave me $90-$115 for a motor. It looks like this is a now obsolete ESC, any reason to sway to anything else?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 06yz250f; 03-13-2017 at 06:21 AM.
06yz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bomber Increase speed?

I presume you bought the RTR version so 3s will definitely wake up the stock electronics. Check out SMC lipos. They make a 3s 4300mah that should be perfect. I would give this a shot first then upgrade electronics.

Nothing wrong with the Mamba Max Pro (MMP for short). This ESC will still get the job done very well. The newer model is the Mamba X and it has a fancier case, factory waterproofing, adjustable AUX wire, and a few other items.

The Tekin Roc412 and Pro4HD, Holmes Puller Pro are highly recommended but may be a click more that your remaining budget. Castle makes the 1410-3800 which is a great motor in the sensorless version but not too many case studies out yet on the new sensored version. I have one just haven't tested yet either but it's under the $90 mark so it would put you on track.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
I presume you bought the RTR version so 3s will definitely wake up the stock electronics. Check out SMC lipos. They make a 3s 4300mah that should be perfect. I would give this a shot first then upgrade electronics.

Nothing wrong with the Mamba Max Pro (MMP for short). This ESC will still get the job done very well. The newer model is the Mamba X and it has a fancier case, factory waterproofing, adjustable AUX wire, and a few other items.

The Tekin Roc412 and Pro4HD, Holmes Puller Pro are highly recommended but may be a click more that your remaining budget. Castle makes the 1410-3800 which is a great motor in the sensorless version but not too many case studies out yet on the new sensored version. I have one just haven't tested yet either but it's under the $90 mark so it would put you on track.
What he said!

The only thing I will add is that the Castle Mamba Monster X has the added feature of an auxiliary cable that allows you to toggle the drag brake on and off on the fly from your transmitter. This is great if you plan on going fast and crawling. But with that comes extra cost.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What he said!

The only thing I will add is that the Castle Mamba Monster X has the added feature of an auxiliary cable that allows you to toggle the drag brake on and off on the fly from your transmitter. This is great if you plan on going fast and crawling. But with that comes extra cost.
The entire new x line has the aux adjustment.
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would run 3s untill the stock electronics burn out then you will have a better idea of what you want
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
The entire new x line has the aux adjustment.
Yes, but he mentioned the MMP. And the smaller X's would not be good choices for the Bomber...
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I never had the stock motor, but mine had a Titan 21t 550 motor in it when I bought it used. It was decently fast on 3s, and the motors are inexpensive. Crawled pretty well, too, but I don't know how one crawls out of the box.
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

3s for sure.

Grab a 3s turnigy 5000mah battery from hobbyking along with the following... ($30)

80A hobbiking X-Car sensored / sensorless brushless ESC ($29)

+ Hobbyking X-Car Usb dongol ($5)

+ a Hobbyking or turnigy Sensored Motor of your speed liking ($35)

Also grab a hobbywing UBEC as the bec of the x-car esc might not be able to power the servo / receiver under hard hard acceleration. ($5)

Battery + a full sensored adjustable esc motor combo is going to be right around 115 shipped. Its what i run (with a turnigy 1870kv motor) and it will do ~15 mph, and has such smooth ability to crawl.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
What he said!

My only hesitation with going with any of these "fancier" ESC's (even the MMP) is I have no way to adjust anything from my computer. I use a Mac at home (work computer is locked without admin approval) so have no way to adjust any of the parameters if they aren't right out of the box. I did see that castle sells something where no computer is needed to adjust most parameters, but not all for ~$25.

Realistically, if I can get the drag brake to act how it does stock (stopping the thing pretty quick), i'm good with that and don't need anything further.

I do like the stock parameters a lot, minus the top speed performance and acceleration.

My big issue is I don't want to spend money on a bad set up and want to re-do it after the fact, on the other hand I don't want to plop down hundreds of dollars for something I don't need. It seems like the Castle ESC's and Holmes Puller Pro is the way to go for most, but haven't run across any popular alternative set ups either on here.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yz250f View Post
My only hesitation with going with any of these "fancier" ESC's (even the MMP) is I have no way to adjust anything from my computer. I use a Mac at home (work computer is locked without admin approval) so have no way to adjust any of the parameters if they aren't right out of the box. I did see that castle sells something where no computer is needed to adjust most parameters, but not all for ~$25.

Realistically, if I can get the drag brake to act how it does stock (stopping the thing pretty quick), i'm good with that and don't need anything further.

I do like the stock parameters a lot, minus the top speed performance and acceleration.

My big issue is I don't want to spend money on a bad set up and want to re-do it after the fact, on the other hand I don't want to plop down hundreds of dollars for something I don't need. It seems like the Castle ESC's and Holmes Puller Pro is the way to go for most, but haven't run across any popular alternative set ups either on here.
Well you can program some, but not all features using your transmitter and beeps. It's a royal PITA. They also have a Field Link programming card, but again, you can't program everything with it. Programming is one of the areas where Castle is severely lacking.

You could go HobbyWing, buy the WiFi module and program it from your smartphone.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Don't forget the new Mamba X and MMX also have a plenty strong internal selectable BEC. That allows you to upgrade your servo later when the stock one inevitably breaks and saves you from having to buy an external BEC to power it.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yz250f View Post

Bootcamp.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Bootcamp.

Be careful with "Just $300" to go 20mph ish. You'll be adding another 300 pretty quickly to beef things up and replace broken parts.

High teens/20 is fast in a Bomber. They don't hold up to barrel rolls at speed like a basher.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Bootcamp.
I run Parallels. I used bootcamp on my old Mac and it ran poorly so on my current i went with Parallels and ran Solidworks great comparatively (which makes no sense with how parallels works compared to bootcamp). However they like to discontinue support for a product after 2 years and force you into an upgraded verson. Right about that time my computer on the windows side quit reading USB's and connecting to the internet and tech support no longer helps so I just don't use it since my need for solidworks is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post

Be careful with "Just $300" to go 20mph ish. You'll be adding another 300 pretty quickly to beef things up and replace broken parts.

High teens/20 is fast in a Bomber. They don't hold up to barrel rolls at speed like a basher.
I know i'll have to do supporting mods. Assuming at a minimum drive shafts, heavy duty R&P in the axles and axle shafts.

I just know if I spend $300 here, $300 there, it quickly turns into a $1500 car so i'm trying to be budget friendly at each stage.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes, but he mentioned the MMP. And the smaller X's would not be good choices for the Bomber...
The mamba x is more esc than the MMP..
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Bomber Increase speed?

MMP and a Team Brood Vigor 550 will put you right at $200 mark. Very good setup, tons of power and very durable.

Get ready to drop at least another $300 building he rest of it around the power.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
The mamba x is more esc than the MMP..
The Mamba X comes in different sizes. The Mamba Monster X is what you want in a Bomber. Are you saying the normal "Mamba X" is better than the Mamba Max Pro?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
RCC Addict

No need for a monster x in a bomber. The Mamba x is plenty and still an upgrade over the MMP.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
No need for a monster x in a bomber. The Mamba x is plenty and still an upgrade over the MMP.
Interesting. Their mid range ESC before, the SV3, was weak. I'm surprised they made this new one so powerful. That's going to eat into the sales of the MMX.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Interesting. Their mid range ESC before, the SV3, was weak. I'm surprised they made this new one so powerful. That's going to eat into the sales of the MMX.
The monster was always the 1/8 esc.

Mamba max pro = Mamba X.

Mamba monster = Mamba Monster X.

Mamba micro = Mamba Micro X.

The Sidewinders are non sensored, different league all together.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber Increase speed? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC Seach for increase speed and good torque YNPpro Team Losi Comp Crawler 28 03-08-2013 07:10 AM
best way to increase wheel speed? 2004neonsrt4 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 05-10-2008 02:53 PM