Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Yota truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yota truggy

Not too uncommon on 1:1 crawlers and bouncers, Clayton Hollingsworth's "Outlaw" runs (as he puts it) "Hookers up front and Farmers out back..."

H is currently winning a ton of hillclimbs with his crazy full independent-suspension, supercharged V8 (that is mid-engined and sitting right next to him) rock bouncer.

Think of it as front tires being more steering oriented and rears digging in for more traction, kinda strange on a 4x4, but I guess there's something to it if you're basically driving uphill all the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jI7AjB9hr4
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

I tell you what it's new bed day:

Gonna have to put somethin back there now. The bed and tailgate are just thick plastic off a jar thing. Trash.

Everything runs good. Got the CI tuning discs ordered to fill out the tires better. And I'm thinking about a hh brushless setup so I'm ready when I fry this motor. Can't decide to go 2700 and leave it, or go 4500 and run 2 speed. And I'm thinking the baja headlights will finish things up.

Learned a couple maintenance related things last week. The motor was loose, so I loctited the upper bolt and put it back together. Also learned about how to anchor threads into the plastic trailing arm ends, then screw those into the arms. That's a damn good trick. Popped 3 ends to learn about that. Luckily my buddy had a spare and schooled me in the ways of maintenance.

Last edited by kennydoggins; 04-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
kennydoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

If going brushless I don't see a reason to use 2 speed
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
If going brushless I don't see a reason to use 2 speed

To slow it down cause 4500 would be faster n all get out wouldn't it?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

I didn't even like my Holmes PP 3300s on the rc4wd 2 speed. 25+ mph on a solid axle rig is just not fun, especially with all the broken parts.

If you go that route, u will need to spend more money to strengthen the drive train.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Yeah that sounds about like what I was thinking. I tried my friends 3300 stubby and it was plenty quick. I will probably go with a 540 standard 2700 with the waterproofness. Still be faster than stock.

Gonna be a fun summer either way it goes down
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoggins View Post
Installed the no-brainer bec in line with the servo. Went wheeling today, no electrical problems at all. Thanks for the info everybody.
I just broke an end off of a trailing arm, and now I have one more spare...
Good times!

This wall is crazy steep. I tried a different line cause this one doesn't go all the way up, and had a crash from pretty low. Mechanical failure haha! It was a line to the left. I'll be back.

Are these pics from the volcanic park by Fish ranch?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
Are these pics from the volcanic park by Fish ranch?
Yeah man, Sibley right near the labyrinth and the water tower by the lot on skyline.

I finally blew up my motor but have a replacement coming in tomorrow. I'll check back with an update.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

Ok went through 2 batteries without breaking something.

The other day I broke the front axle 15 mins into the first battery after I installed the brushless motor. Both sides. I got a axial universal axle and popped that in yesterday. Beef tubes too. I picked up underdrive/overdrive gears also, gonna install those when I get incision lockers. After all that I hope it's all set for a while haha

For the motor I went with a holmes 540 standard puller pro 2700 and a ble pro. Running 3s, got 1:20 on a battery today with a fair amount of full throttle fire road shenanigans too. It's pretty quick now. But mostly it's a crawler.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

Operation overdrive/underdrive went off without a hitch. Turning radius and slow crawling much improved.

Here's my scale garage:

Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

The yota truggy bomber is officially a badass rock crawler now. This is a spot at Squaw Valley near Truckee. That's tram face in the background. Good shit.

Last edited by kennydoggins; 05-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

What's up folks, I did another lexan Toyota body. Got some scale parts, and removed the bec. It works great, and I am in the market for a front bumper. I'd like a stinger, but haven't seen the right one yet.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I'm really liking the Yota body...

Question about the steering linkage. Did you zip-tie them together? Details, how well it works, close up pics, etc? Looks like a great idea to keep the tie rod up and off the ground!!!
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post
I'm really liking the Yota body...

Question about the steering linkage. Did you zip-tie them together? Details, how well it works, close up pics, etc? Looks like a great idea to keep the tie rod up and off the ground!!!

Haha! I did have some different approaches to zip ties and all that. It worked well and is a good idea for clearance, but it's an eyesore, and sooner or later things break anyway. I was thinking of using something besides zip ties of course, haven't gotten to it yet, just running the droopy steering linkage for now. At least it's steel
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

I swapped in some knuckles from a wraith parts truck my friend donated to the cause. No more crazy low steering linkage! And I made a hood with my first lexan yota. It's a mockup or whatever. Just trying to figure a way to swap batteries easily. I'll definitely go with no hood too. So I got options haha

Old 06-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

Decided to go get some hardware to mount headlights. Ended up using bolts that are about 8mm of thread and they're too long by about 2mm ish. Just sets em off a little. So I'll try not to look at that for now.

Also just wanted to post some images for people using these rc4wd Baja lights at this mounting point.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

Alright successful shakedown run at high risk canyon. Lights have power and have no noticeable effect on battery life. Pretty bright at dusk/night too.

Wraith knuckles worked real well.

Gonna look into what I can program the buttons on the transmitter to do. 3rd channel buttons or whatever they're called. Might be able to on/off the headlights?

I'm just glad I can go wheeling without breaking shit all the time. That took a while to get the setup right.

Later!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

What's up it has been a little while. I raided my parts wraith for all the bearings after discovering I went through a couple in the front axle. It went to 2wd on the trail and sounded real bad. The pinion wouldn't stay meshed. Its overdrive gearing might be part of it who knows. Complete carnage inside the pumpkin. That's all sorted out though.

Also I ordered some scalerfab parts, the front bumper and slider plates. They call it rock sliders with skids. But the rock sliders are built into the tube frame already. Who cares I guess. After a little finagling they all perform real well. The bumper needed to be drilled for proper fitment, but that's easy enough. It's in pictures below.

Real happy with the slider plates, and as an added bonus they sound great when they make contact. Which is a good reminder that the frame is now that much more rigid. The bumper will be cool with shackles on there for sure. I just gotta say it though- I wish it was more of a proper stinger. One day I'll make one that looks right to me, although this one is real solid and should hold the front together real nice for a while!

Messed with fuel cell placement and body panels. The aluminum back panels need a little sculpting to clear the sway bar, so I ditched em for now. I did program the 3rd channel on the transmitter to work the lights. I used a HeyOK remote switch and a y harness to clean up the headlight setup. It all works great.

The ol yota seems happy to be like it is.

Here's the comparison between broken stock bumper and the new one, pre drilling:

Process:

Not proper:

Proper fit!

Later

Last edited by kennydoggins; 07-11-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Default Yota truggy

And then some things got delivered, beef tube for the rear axle and patties for the front:

Y'all know what time it is, dremel time for rear tubes.

Right now it weighs 7.5 lbs.

Winch maybe? I did the fairlead mount for rigidity. But it's on there and then bam a fairlead ends up on there.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:11 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

I am digging this rig!
I just traded for my bomber and it's already pretty legit but I am looking at a truggy.
I like how you worknit out.
I am in the east bay. PM me next time your out. I would like to run thoose spots.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Yota truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC Yota truggy dkchance74 Duratrax Cliff Climber 12 09-10-2013 09:53 PM
**One more Yota Truggy!** R2j 1.9 Scale Rigs 104 12-17-2010 02:52 PM
Yet another Yota truggy Jester666 2.2 Scale Rigs 94 08-23-2010 03:48 PM