Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Did I order the wrong motor???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Did I order the wrong motor???

I ordered a Mamba Monster X and a Holmes 540xl 3500kv motor thinking with the bigger and heavier bomber (compared to my scx10.2 running a roc412), I would need the 540xl. Now I'm finding most people run the 540 standard in their bombers. This is going to be a rig used for bashing the beach, around the yard, and crawling/trailing. I'm hearing the 540xl start up isn't smooth, and now I'm feeling like I ordered the wrong motor..

Opinions? Insight?
cinnabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Did I order the wrong motor???

Nope. You are good. The 540xl is the way to go.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah if you're going to be doing any significant amount of bashing, i.e. 50% of the time, the 540XL is a great choice. I've heard that the latest updates to the MMX have really made the XL much smoother than it was a year ago when I had that combo. It wasn't completely uncrawlable for me then and I've seen others running that combo lately and the startup is incredibly smooth so I think you made the right choice. When/if it ever comes time to replace the motor in my Bomber (3500kv standard) I'll be going back to a 540xl and I mostly crawl.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Well your guys insight has definitely helped ease my mind. Also just noticed the 540xl has a 5mm shaft so I will need to go buy a pinion gear. Would you recommend the stock 12t/64t gearing with the 540xl, or should I change the gearing? I'm sure the esc and motor won't care what gearing I throw at it
Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Depends how fast you want to go. I run a 16 in mine. If your drivetrain is stock your going to have to drop some money on building them up as well. That motor will find your weak links pretty quick.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
Depends how fast you want to go. I run a 16 in mine. If your drivetrain is stock your going to have to drop some money on building them up as well. That motor will find your weak links pretty quick.
What components will need to be upgraded?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Lockers, HD gears, axles, beef tubes with Dlux truss or aluminum housings and driveshafts to start. If it's a RTR you should get some steel or titanium links and trailing arms too.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Lockers, HD gears, axles, beef tubes with Dlux truss or aluminum housings and driveshafts to start. If it's a RTR you should get some steel or titanium links and trailing arms too.
This is a kit version. My understanding is I had HD gears (trans and diffs)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Yup, so just better spools. I like the Holmes ones but a lot of others out there as well.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Your trans needs to be upgraded as much as possible too. The 540XL is monster power especially on 3s and 4s. Basically everything in your driveline should be addressed to include your wheels. If you're running kit plastic beadlocks with plastic hubs, you'll want to keep an eye on them. You already have universals and HD ring and pinion so that's good enough for now. As Rjohn said, spools are a must to replace the brittle powdered metal lockers and plastic carrier. I'd suggest high strength hardware on the ring gear. Amain sells some m2x8 12.9 socket head cap screws that you'll be glad you installed. Your driveshafts should be fine. Then transmission. Replace everything plastic for metal and for gods sake, keep the slipper. Robinson slipper spurs and pinions are great, look for "hardened" or "ultra hard" or whatever they call it and yes 5mm pinion for the 540XL. I'd stick with stock gearing but also get a 14 just to try. The 550XL and MMX can definitely handle some mild gearing up.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I run a very similar setup power wise in the bomber (RX8 & PHD 3500, 3S.) The plastic spur and stock slipper have been fine. Even the stock WB8HD shafts are still good.
My main focus for powertrain /drivetrain upgrades would be a metal motor mount, HD axle gears, lockers/spools and some beef tubes.

...now if I could find rear axle shafts that don't bend... (I've already tried VP & Creeperbob shafts.)

Sidenote: I'm running 12/64 & underdrive axle gearing... Still too fast on 3S!

sent from the Upside Down
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Will the stock beadlocks accept metal slw hubs? Bolt pattern looks different to my eye without having a slw in front of me to compare.

Right now I have a vanquish motor mount and motor cam and incision lockers waiting to go in. I do typically run a lot of punch control in my set up to try and avoid snapping the driveline by an abrupt throttle pull
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Did I order the wrong motor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
I run a very similar setup power wise in the bomber (RX8 & PHD 3500, 3S.) The plastic spur and stock slipper have been fine. Even the stock WB8HD shafts are still good.
My main focus for powertrain /drivetrain upgrades would be a metal motor mount, HD axle gears, lockers/spools and some beef tubes.

...now if I could find rear axle shafts that don't bend... (I've already tried VP & Creeperbob shafts.)

Sidenote: I'm running 12/64 & underdrive axle gearing... Still too fast on 3S!

sent from the Upside Down

I don't know about "too" fast. I'm running 16/64 PP 3500XL on 3s and feel it's just right even with underdrive rear, stock HD ratio front. To each their own I guess but after racing for many years and being used to much higher speeds, if I can't make these things run on the ragged edge when at full throttle I wouldn't be building them.

Last edited by Rjohn929; 03-19-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
Will the stock beadlocks accept metal slw hubs? Bolt pattern looks different to my eye without having a slw in front of me to compare.

Right now I have a vanquish motor mount and motor cam and incision lockers waiting to go in. I do typically run a lot of punch control in my set up to try and avoid snapping the driveline by an abrupt throttle pull

Yes, same pattern.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Im looking for aluminum/brass/steel bearing caps for the diff bearings, and I'm not finding anything.. anyone have a link?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Search anywhere for Axial aluminum bearing caps. A bunch of people make them.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Search anywhere for Axial aluminum bearing caps. A bunch of people make them.
Found them. I was searching under the bomber on rpp and they didn't come up but I found the vanquish ones. Thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Well it is installed.. only pinion I had on hand was a 16t.. I will be changing it out for a 12-13t to get wheel speeds down. I will say the motor feels like it has close to the same smoothness that my roc412 has in my scx10ii, but the power is ungodly in my quick garage tests..

Spools will be installed before the weekend test runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabun View Post
I will say the motor feels like it has close to the same smoothness that my roc412 has in my scx10ii, but the power is ungodly in my quick garage tests..
That's what I keep hearing especially with the new updates to the MMX and has me very excited to put one in my independent suspension build. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
That's what I keep hearing especially with the new updates to the MMX and has me very excited to put one in my independent suspension build. Thanks for sharing.
I did update the mmx before installation. But seriously for the current gearing and the size of the bomber it sure is smooth. I'm throughly impressed with this motor during my initial testing

Did I order the wrong motor??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!!! just realized I order the wrong C hubs and steering knuckles Honcho907 Axial SCX-10 3 03-02-2016 05:54 PM
What's wrong with my motor slagburn Electronics 3 03-13-2012 02:48 PM
what's wrong with my motor? lordjasper1988 Electronics 3 02-19-2012 03:23 AM
Did I order the wrong parts? Knuckle/stub issue lowslowTJ Axial Wraith 4 10-09-2011 08:29 PM
Wrong Motor TheGerman Electronics 2 06-08-2008 02:33 AM