Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber

Hey NaZ-T

How did you do at the race?
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Hey NaZ-T

How did you do at the race?
Race info can be found on 1st page (last post)
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
RCC Addict

So after running the car at the Scale Ultra event I made one small change to the rig. I swapped out the front stock RR10 link mounts (ax31317) in favor of the older Wraith mounts (ax80070) and inverted them. This change has a few benefits. #1: It lowers the front shock mount, lowering the front of the vehicle about 3 or 4mm. This should help with over all stability. #2: It stretches the front about 3 or 4mm and adds some caster to the steering. This should also add stability and a bit more steering too.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
So after running the car at the Scale Ultra event I made one small change to the rig. I swapped out the front stock RR10 link mounts (ax31317) in favor of the older Wraith mounts (ax80070) and inverted them. This change has a few benefits. #1: It lowers the front shock mount, lowering the front of the vehicle about 3 or 4mm. This should help with over all stability. #2: It stretches the front about 3 or 4mm and adds some caster to the steering. This should also add stability and a bit more steering too.

After this mod, we need to see a pic of the whole rig too!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #25
RCC Addict

a few days ago I was able to get out and put the Altra RR10 through some pretty rigorous testing. During the day I was able to play with a few different setups, and had some surprising results.

While testing I grabbed a couple slo-mo clips of the car making high speed passes so I can better see how the suspension is working. I will post them on Facebook #AltraRR10

I found I much prefer the Axial tires over some of the larger and more aggressive tires. I feel the slightly smaller tire gives the vehicle a lower CG and felt more stable in the corners. I also found the Axial tires to have more predictable traction under hard throttle inputs and in the corners. So the Axial R35 BFg's will be staying for awhile.

I still want to play with the shocks. I would really like to get the rig to sit just a bit lower and also gain some up travel for the high speed sections. I also would like to soften the front spring a bit. So I'm considering changing out the Axial Kings in favor of a slightly shorter shock and playing with some spring tensions.

A couple pics before testing began

Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Awesome rig

For shocks, I bought the Proline (6308-31) with a ring assortment (6308-22). I enjoy !!!
Aven31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Have you tried reducing the front damper stiffness to improve the compliance of the front axle? I changed the pistons from stock two hole to the four hole type and now the wheels react to small undulations rather than forcing the whole front of the car to react.
IntrepidMercians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thanks for this tip. I am running the OG wraith mounts on my bomber also...flipped them around like you did.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidMercians View Post
Have you tried reducing the front damper stiffness to improve the compliance of the front axle? I changed the pistons from stock two hole to the four hole type and now the wheels react to small undulations rather than forcing the whole front of the car to react.
Yeah I thought about that but I want more up travel so I wont be getting into a more detailed shock setup until I get shocks with a shorter body to gain the up travel I'm looking for.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Still focused on the shocks I did some pretty extensive research and have finally decided on a shock that should give me what I'm looking for, Proline Pro-Specs (pro6308-31)
I grabbed up 2 sets to out fit the rig front and rear.

A few reasons why I chose the Proline Pro-Specs.

Shorter over all shock (100mm) this will get the rig to sit lower and gain some desired up travel

Shocks are one of the most important components to a good handling rig and they are also one of the most overlooked. The shocks hold the rig up, help it through the bumps and jumps, and most of all help the rig develop grip/traction on whatever terrain your running on

12mm shocks provide a much smoother and plush feel that is more forgiving and make it easier for you as a driver to run your Ultra car harder and faster with a more overall consistent feel. The 12mm shocks excel on rough surfaces with the increased oil volume it helps to support the weight of our Ultra cars, especially in cases like bottoming out on a landing. With the AltraRR10 coming in between 7-8lbs the rigs really could benefit from a bigger shock.

Bleeder caps make it a breeze to make sure your shocks are bled perfect. No longer will one shock have more rebound than the others. You'll have the right oil volume every time on all four corners

Machined Delrin pistons and spacers are perfectly round to minimize the friction the piston has on the inside of the shock body adding to the consistency and smoothness of the overall setup.

X-ring seals give you twice as many sealing surfaces with much less friction. More sealing surfaces are less likely to leak and last longer. Less friction ensures that the oil will be providing the dampening not friction from your o-rings.

3.5mm thick Shock Shaft is Hard Chrome Coated, just like full scale racing shocks. This provides an incredibly hard and tough surface that lasts longer, with higher abrasion resistance and a lower friction coefficient than most common shafts. Once again adding to the consistency and smoothness of the overall setup with added life of your shock components.

The small benefits of each component add up and should give me a noticeable difference in the over all feel of the vehicle
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Some pics of the shocks

Side by side comparison

Before

After

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

After

That might be the lowest stance I've seen on a Bomber!

Edit:
Whoops, my bad, just realized you're showing max compression.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Great minds think alike... I just ordered a couple pair of the pro spec rear shocks and a spring kit as well and for all the exact same reasons! I also like the fact that they come with multiple piston options and even shock tools to take them apart and reassemble. I also feel that the shocks and tires are 2 of the biggest performance features of a vehicle and think we are on track for a big improvement. let us know how it goes.
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
Great minds think alike... I just ordered a couple pair of the pro spec rear shocks and a spring kit as well and for all the exact same reasons! I also like the fact that they come with multiple piston options and even shock tools to take them apart and reassemble. I also feel that the shocks and tires are 2 of the biggest performance features of a vehicle and think we are on track for a big improvement. let us know how it goes.
Got to run the car over the weekend at the 801rcc "Stateline 400" event in Wendover Nevada. There was some incredibly close racing on course. With the top contenders rubbing and bumping multiple times while fighting for position. The lead position changed every couple gates with Diddy (Paul Blackner), Puffer (Trent Brown), Chewy, and myself battling it out for the top spot. I was able to sneak in the victory by seconds, literally.

I'm glad to report that the setup is on point. The shocks are incredibly smooth and the rig is much more predictable at speed. I did notice the rig hanging up just a bit in the chuncky technical sections (I forgot to check my ride height before hitting the course) so some very minor tuning is in store to get the rig sitting where I want.

Didn't get many pics as I was driving, but here are the few I have.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Nice man, congrats! Thanx for the update. Looks like a nice place to spend some time. Do you have any trouble with torture twist on the uphill stuff? I see you are running a sway bar, i have tried one but i dont do speed stuff just crawling and trailing and it seemed like it made me flip over too much so i took it off but have bad wheel lift on any kind of uphill... did you tune the shocks at all or just fill and go?
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
Nice man, congrats! Thanx for the update. Looks like a nice place to spend some time. Do you have any trouble with torture twist on the uphill stuff? I see you are running a sway bar, i have tried one but i dont do speed stuff just crawling and trailing and it seemed like it made me flip over too much so i took it off but have bad wheel lift on any kind of uphill... did you tune the shocks at all or just fill and go?
In my experience the RR10 Bomber needs a swaybar for all applications, crawling and/or racing. With the trailing arms suspension it's just a must have (unless you prefer 3WD over 4WD ). I guess in the boulder fields the added travel might be beneficial. Even then I would probably still run a swaybar and just soften it to my preference.

Here is my setup on the Proline ProSpec shocks.

Front: Factory pistons, no Limiters, 25wt oil, 1.96 lbs./in low frequency springs.

Rear: Factory pistons, no Limiters, 35wt oil, factory springs.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #37
RCC Addict

With the Altra RR10 being built for the "Scale Ultra" series I figured it was time to add some "scale" details to the rig. First up is to add the secondary bypass shock. I opted to go with the Axial Icons in the 87-125mm length (ax31136). I chose these because they fit perfect and I wanted to keep the color neutral so it wouldn't clash with the color of the rig.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 05-03-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Next I added the Axial radiator from the EXO Terra Buggy (ax80103). I threw on some aluminum pain for the main radiator, then painted the fans red to help them stand out a bit and to match the rigs paint scheme. I had to trim the radiator a bit to fit between the rear shock mounts. I also came up with a pretty trick way to mount it in the rig. I just screwed on some long Axial shock ends and cut them to make a hook rather than a loop. This way they can hook around the bar at the rear of the interior.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Hey T, did adding the ICON to the rear effect full bump at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo View Post
Hey T, did adding the ICON to the rear effect full bump at all?
Nope. Not when your running ProSpecs.

Building the "ALtra" Ultra RR10 Bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations "Beastly Beauty" - 2.2 Ultra 4 Rig Nova's Ark 2.2 Scale Rigs 64 02-17-2017 10:06 AM
RR10 "Tie" Bomber woody131 Axial RR10 Bomber 17 08-07-2016 04:50 PM
The ultra compact driveshaft " Real Constant Velocity " maduff Tools, and Procedures 15 01-17-2015 09:36 PM