Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B

Here is the electronics layout I'm doing. I made a little mount for the MMX ESC. Screwed the mount into the cage, and secured the MMX in place with a Velcro strap.
There is so much room on the plate, behind the motor, that I feel if you're running a regular size ESC, you can easily mount it on the plate, but no room for the MMX.

No worries, I haven't zipped tied the wires in place yet

Here is where I'm going to put the receiver box. This is where the gas tank would've been. I used the Wraith box b/c the Bomber has that hoop mount up front.
I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the receiver mount tab I made before I secure it in place.

And finally, got my roof panel taped and sent for painting

Old out.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good! Makin me want to build one now. Lol

For the rear bumper mount, what about something like barndog makes for the rear cage and wraps around the sides? You could use some 0.040" aluminum or lexan and paint it black if needed.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

I like the way your accessing your electronics. Never thought about working through the roof. This rig is coming along nicely!! Great job so far
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Hey Guys!,

Was on vacation for the week and just getting back in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Lookin good! Makin me want to build one now. Lol

For the rear bumper mount, what about something like barndog makes for the rear cage and wraps around the sides? You could use some 0.040" aluminum or lexan and paint it black if needed.
That's not a bad idea. I like the look of their rear panel. I'm wondering if the thin sheet will tear or pull away with a hard hit from the side though?

Anyway, I'll let you know soon if I notice any performance difference between the B1B and B2B. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing and loving every minute of this build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto
I like the way your accessing your electronics. Never thought about working through the roof. This rig is coming along nicely!! Great job so far
Thanks Shift! This is the only way I access the electronics in the Bombers. Much simpler than removing the whole cage. When running with the interior, those two rear screws on the interior can be a pain to get to, so I put Velcro instead and pull it right out.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

So now that the paint is dry, what do yall think? Yay? or Nay?

Last edited by *Old*; 04-17-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Looks good, like it belongs there. Gives the rear end a tough look too
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Actually, maybe these pics will give a better look at it:

Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

So I got a little bit of stuff done today.

My Proline spring kit came in and I put those on my GMades.

After installing them and messing around with them, I must say, these springs really make the Gmade PiggyBacks shine!! I might have to do this to my B1B now..more money to spend . It's hard for me to describe, but the PL springs do a better job of holding up the rig without doing too much pre-load. On the B1B, with the GMade Red Extra Stiff springs, I still had to set the pre-load almost all the way down for it to sit at the proper static height.
With the PL, I put no pre-load on and it sits at the perfect height, and the shock movement is still smooth and not so jerky, even with the stiffest PL springs. That's the best way I can describe it.

So here's what you need to do the conversion on the Gmades.

This is all you need from the -02 Kit (you could also use the bottom shock hoop/ball, and spring mount, but I stayed with the GMades.)

The PL springs come with a top and bottom spring. When put together it's the exact same height as the Gmades.

I went with the Red (stiffest) spring option for the top and bottom. I think I could get away with the Yellow, which is next below, but I'll try these for now.

No pre-load and this is my static height.

with 5000mah 3S Lipo battery

Last edited by *Old*; 04-17-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

So I got the receiver box installed in place and the wires routed. This thing is ready to get tested, I can't wait!!

In an earlier photo I showed a pic of the receiver mount I made from a 1/16" thick aluminum, that you can get at the HD or Lowes. I used zip ties to secure the mount in place.

Here is the receiver in place. I put a piece of foam to keep it from bouncing around. I'm using Servo and ESC extensions that I made/showed from an earlier post. Once I close this, I hope to not go into again for a long while.

I put the connections right behind it, and this will allow easy access to the ESC wire for those times I want to hook it up to the castle link to make changes or check data.

Cleanest wire routing job of all 4 rigs I've built to date!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

So here are some side by side comparisons of the B1B and B2B.

Note the much shorter wheelbase of the B2B. I foresee better crawling capability with the shorter WB, but am very curious how this handles high speeds. The B1B handles it pretty well - If the B2B can handle it just as well and crawl better...

The B2B flexes much better than the B1B mainly because there is no sway bar in the rear. We'll see if there are any torque twist issues when I throttle down

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #51
RCC Addict

You shouldn't have any torque twist whatsoever. That's the beauty of the rear end mounted to the chassis. No energy loss. I've been out of town for a week and bam, you're about done! I'd love to see this thing crawl then go mob the whoops. Video please......
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, there is zero torque twist with mine on a very steep incline at the slowest crawl possible or with a good shot of power.

I prefer the look without the rear bumper Old.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
You shouldn't have any torque twist whatsoever. That's the beauty of the rear end mounted to the chassis. No energy loss. I've been out of town for a week and bam, you're about done! I'd love to see this thing crawl then go mob the whoops. Video please......
Thanks for that Aha moment, Mac Fab. Having the trans and diffs mounted to the same chassis plate eliminates the twisting force between the two. I knew I wasn't experiencing any torque twist I just wasn't sure why.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #54
RCC Addict

thought i may have said that somewhere ??
B2B = NO Toque twist at all !!
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Mac,

Thanks for the education and enlightenment. Good to know! Can't wait to get off work and test this thing in my neighborhood trails. But will definitely get some pics/videos over the weekend when I'm able to hit some real trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic
Agreed, there is zero torque twist with mine on a very steep incline at the slowest crawl possible or with a good shot of power.

I prefer the look without the rear bumper Old.
Bil, where are all your updated pics? I see that little teaser pics you posted, but I, and I'm sure many others, want to see the completed pics and sounds like you had fun with it already too!

But thanks for your honest opinion.
It's growing on me, but for a rig like this, we need the look to be clean/awesome.

I know I can do better, however I may not have to!
Wife tossed this envelope at me and said "more crap you ordered huh?"

I'm like - What!?!?!
DMG - you ROCK!!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Bil, where are all your updated pics? I see that little teaser pics you posted, but I, and I'm sure many others, want to see the completed pics and sounds like you had fun with it already too!
They are coming soon. I won't be as in-depth as you since you have done a great job documenting your B2B build in this thread.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

What's the longer plate on the right for?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #58
RCC Addict

"More crap you ordered, huh"??? You can easily clarify this problem by going to Penhall Fabrication or your favorite 1:1 builder of vehicles and request a pricing sheet if you can't develop one from their web site. You're spending pennies on the dollar.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
"More crap you ordered, huh"??? You can easily clarify this problem by going to Penhall Fabrication or your favorite 1:1 builder of vehicles and request a pricing sheet if you can't develop one from their web site. You're spending pennies on the dollar.
Hahaha, Trust me Mac, I used to be in the 1:1 scene, almost 20 yrs ago. Built up a couple rigs and had a blast!
But then got married, children came, moved into the Burbs, so space was limited for my rig and trailer, etc and sold them
You're right though, the cost of these isn't much compared to, however these will still nickle and dime you to death
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
What's the longer plate on the right for?
???
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 374 01-31-2020 10:24 AM
Dmg b1b & b2b bomber demo Jasper105 Videos! 0 02-22-2016 07:26 AM
Ifrs wraith Tmaxxed Axial Wraith 24 07-15-2014 03:05 PM