Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B

Alright guys,

Last night, didn't go as planned, my wife couldn't get the lawn mower started so I spent a couple hours tinkering with it until I realized I didn't have the parts in hand to get it working, so I gave up. By the time I was able to get the rig out for a quick run, it was getting dark, so none of the photos I took came out right. I only ran it for about 20 min, in my back yard.
We have an open back yard area and with the neighbors combined, it's over 100yds, so I'm pretty much full throttle the whole time.

So here are my quick observations:

1. Ok, so I was grinning ear to ear the whole time. The high speed handling of the B2B is much improved over the B1B and obviously the solid axle Bomber. Where you notice the improvement is in the sudden quick turns. I'm on grass, so it's pretty decent traction, along with the super grippy Hyrax, and I can make quick sharp turns without it flipping. I'm sure everyone knows, solid axle Bomber will flip easily, B1B is better, but will still cart wheel if you're not careful, but the B2B...
However, I was able to flip it a few times, but that was maxing out throttle and being stupid....on purpose.

2. I slow crawled some patio paver stuff that I would usually get hung up b/c of the longer wheel base from the other rigs, so I'm really liking this short wheel base It got me thinking about switching the B1B and stock Bomber to the Twin Hammers Trailing arm to shorten their WB. I'm wondering if a shorter WB will impact high speed handling of those rigs more than IF/RS?

3. Jumps - The B2B can fly. I hit some natural ramps and it launches. Mine is sort of front heavy, so I'm thinking of either adding some weights to the rear or spare tire to balance it out.
My B1B is very front heavy. My sons solids is very balanced, but he runs with spare tire.

By the end of the 20 minute escapade, my HH motor was hot! That's what 20+ constant minutes of mashed throttle will do.

Can't wait to get this on some real trails and do a full report. I'm very impressed thus far!
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

So I did get the rear bumper on and I feel this really completes the look.

Suggestion to DMG - make this an option or part of the B2B kit

I also installed the DMG rear tire carrier and my own bumper that I put on with 2mm spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
What's the longer plate on the right for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Yoda
???

Ahh, yes, This plate goes in the back of cab area. Will enclose the cab area along with the interior top.
It's fitted into place and the side body panels will hold it in place - No need to screw it into your cage or run tape or velcro.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Awesome build and thread! Looks great with the independent suspension.

Last edited by pastimesteve; 04-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Nice work, Old. I'm glad you're enjoying yours as much as I am. The B2B is the ultimate cheater crawler/racer.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Was curious, so I took some measurements and thought I share in case anyone is interested.

Bomber with solid front/rear
B1B
B2B

(for reference, The solid Bomber is moderately modified with Beef tubes brass front/ aluminum rear, Dlux front truss, VP stage 1, Axial aluminum motor mount, RR 64T spur, and same electronics as B1B and B2B.)

Wheel Base:

Bomber Solid - 14 3/4"

B1B - 14 7/16"

B2B - 13 1/4"

Weight: (No Battery)

Bomber Solid w/ spare tire: 8lbs 1.4oz
w/o spare 7lb 10.9oz

B1B w/ spare 8lb 2.4oz
w/o spare 7lb 11.9oz

B2B w/ spare 8lb 1.6oz
w/o spare 7 lb 11.1 oz

Clearance

Front

Bomber Solid front – 1 7/8” at pumpkin
2 3/8” at axle tube

B1B and B2B front: sag height 2 3/8” at center
Min height 15/16” at center
Max height 3” at center

Rear

Bomber Solid Rear– 1 7/8” at pumpkin
2 3/8” at axle tube

Rear B1B (SSD Diamond axle) - 1 13/16” at pumpkin
2 Ό” at tube

Rear B2B - sag height 2 7/16”
Min height 1 1/16”
Max height 3 Ύ”

Side at center

Bomber sag – 2 5/16”
Min – 1 5/8”

B1B sag – 2 5/16”
Min – 1 Ύ”

B2B sag – 2 1/4”
Min 1 1/16”

Articulation

Bomber
Front - 4 7/8"
Rear - 4 7/8"

B1B
Front - 4 3/4"
Rear - 4 3/4"

B2B
Front - 5"
Rear - 5"

Last edited by *Old*; 04-25-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #66
Rock Stacker

What a stable! Very nice builds. I can't tell if it is distortion in the pictures or not, but either the SSD diamond rear axle looks really wide or your solid axle bomber looks really narrow. Am I seeing things or are they different widths?
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_89t View Post
What a stable! Very nice builds. I can't tell if it is distortion in the pictures or not, but either the SSD diamond rear axle looks really wide or your solid axle bomber looks really narrow. Am I seeing things or are they different widths?
Thanks Supra!

The B1B with the SSD Yeti wide is certainly wider, but it's the exact same width of the B2B. I think it may be the angle of the picture making the B1B look wider, but I do see what you are saying.

I'm actually thinking of putting Yeti wide in the Solid Bomber, along with wider hubs up front, to add more stability in cornering, hoping it can keep up with the B1B and B2B on speed runs and also side hilling.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Hit up my favorite high speed "racing" trail over the weekend to test out how this thing handles going up and down a dirt trail with quick cornering and then get slow to get through some taller roots/ruts.
Had my daughter try to take some high speed photos, which she had to take multiple shots to get some good ones....she's 8, so give her a break

Expectations were high, and the B2B did not disappoint! Man, this thing corners so well. You can see the I/suspension just flatten to one side as it corners, which makes it slightly wider and more stable.

B2B also climbed through the ruts with no issues. I think I might have the suspension dialed in on first try...I can't think of doing anything else to make it better...I think

Here's a quick photo showing the rear suspension at full throttle take off from a dead stop. No Torque Twist ...and we all know why now...But you can see the rear suspension flatten out, make it very stable

Love how this thing just easily flex over stuff.

I'm pretty much mashing throttle the entire time I'm opening. I let off just a bit as I corner and this thing is just so stable! I just can't say enough about that.
To put things in perspective, the Solid axle Bomber is doing cart wheels when it corners like this. Also, it's harder to keep it straight as it bounces around the dips, so you're constantly fighting the wheel to keep it straight.

B1B is better than the solid, but still cannot corner like the B2B at high speeds.

Then when I get to the rooted areas, I slow her down a little and crawl/bounce through these things easily. Barely gets hung up b/c of the higher ground clearance and shorter wheelbase. I know these aren't large boulders, but I didn't notice any disadvantage in this type of crawl/bounce compared to the Solid.

Figure I post up a pic of my Trail mates!!!! It ain't as fun without these guys!

Next up - The Large Rocks

Last edited by *Old*; 04-26-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Great pics, Old. She looks so good going full tilt, doesn't she? I still can't believe how well this truck can handle speed and crawl.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Great pics, Old. She looks so good going full tilt, doesn't she? I still can't believe how well this truck can handle speed and crawl.
No doubt Screamer! You ain't lying brother. I can't stress that enough. Just so smooth as it glides through. The HH 540 3500KV is plenty fast, but I'm kinda wishing I went with the HH 540 XL...
Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #71
RCC Addict

So how fast does this thing go? Looks as if it hauls the mail in the low to mid 20's if I had to guess from the pics. Now take your car phone holder, hook it to the dog food bowl and shoot some video for us like I do!
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
So how fast does this thing go? Looks as if it hauls the mail in the low to mid 20's if I had to guess from the pics. Now take your car phone holder, hook it to the dog food bowl and shoot some video for us like I do!
Hahaha... The way you express words crack me up

I'm guessing it goes in the low to mid 20s as you state. I just tried doing a quick calculator search to see, but couldn't find one.

And yeah, I gotta get some vids. Problem is my I only have those 16gig Iphones, so I run out of memory after a few seconds of video
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Try this one. R/C Calculations
Glad I can "make your day". I am serious about the camera set up. That or the boom and my phone, both which I use it for suspension tuning. Shoot 108p and watch it slo mo.

Looks to be time for a new phone then so you can keep up with your Bomber technology. I Phones, 10 yrs now......

Just saw your post on vehicle specs above as well. The footprint of the B2B should make it the most fun overall, being it is closest to square dimensionally. That said, the B1B runs better in a high speed straight line, right?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Try this one. I am serious about the camera set up.
....."Now take your car phone holder, hook it to the dog food bowl and shoot some video for us like I do!"
Oh, you were serious?
I need to see a pic of how you take vids
But all kidding aside, I'll make it a priority to get some vids up.

Quote:
Try this one. R/C Calculations
Thanks for sending. I put in my info and it tells me: 50mph!!
I'm sure I did something wrong.
F/R diff UD gears = 3.3
Wraith Tranny = 2.6
Additional Gear - Kept it at 1
Spur = 56
Pinion = 12
Battery 11.1 (3S)
Motor - 3500
Tire - 5.75
Balloon - guessed it at 5.8
Amps and Resistance, left at 0

= 50mph?????

Quote:
Just saw your post on vehicle specs above as well. The footprint of the B2B should make it the most fun overall, being it is closest to square dimensionally. That said, the B1B runs better in a high speed straight line, right?
It's hard for me to tell the difference. Straight/smooth line they all handle pretty well, including the Solid. However, when they hit the dips and bumps in the road, the B2B soaks it up. B1B does a good job too, but will bounce around some, requiring more steering input to keep it straight.
The Solid will hop around more, and would often flip over - probably b/c of oversteer when trying to correct - which would be from lack of skill .

All I can say is, if this B2B can crawl the big boulders as well or close to the Solid, this has got to be the best available version of Bomber.
We'll see soon enough
Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

I just entered your info and shows 18.84mph.

84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #76
RCC Addict

He's got to be going way faster than that, tires don't balloon like that at 18mph.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

So I got the B2B out on the rocks over the weekend. Nothing but slow crawling on this run.
The added ground clearance is noticeable and surely welcomed!

But I will admit, the 20M wt Diff putty disappointed!
It just slipped too much for my liking. Thought it was better before when just put in? I was able to muscle through with some wheel spin on occasion, but I'm watching my sons Wraith just crawl through some parts I'm struggling b/c of the limited slip front diff. So next time, I'm throwing the locker back in for sure!

Besides that though, other than the smaller turn radius, I don't notice any significant downgrade in crawlability versus a solid axles Bomber setup, infact, it would do better in certain areas because of the added ground clearance.

So all in all, the B2Bs high speed performance far exceeds the solid axle setup, and at the same time, the crawling performance about equals or slightly outperforms b/c of the higher ground clearance.

We have big plans for my sons solid axle Bomber though. He wants to catch up!

Anyway - Pics:

Last edited by *Old*; 05-23-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Try the racers edge diff lock (doesn't dry out). Locks up but can only be spun using some tools in the outputs, even then its still hard to turn opposite direction. I bet you'll like it.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Try the racers edge diff lock (doesn't dry out). Locks up but can only be spun using some tools in the outputs, even then its still hard to turn opposite direction. I bet you'll like it.
Is that what you're referring to Yoda? https://www.amainhobbies.com/racers-...rce3007/p13268

If so, I will definately check it out. It's a fraction of the cost of the Gravity 20M, and if it can provide better grip .

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Did you do the beer test? Strap a beers to the solid axle bomber, and the B2B bomber, and see which one foams over the most after a top speed run across you back yard.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

My IFRS Bomber Build - DMG B2B - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's DMG IFS B1B Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 375 04-11-2024 07:56 AM
Dmg b1b & b2b bomber demo Jasper105 Videos! 0 02-22-2016 07:26 AM
Ifrs wraith Tmaxxed Axial Wraith 24 07-15-2014 03:05 PM