Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber trans options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bomber trans options

So I've been considering using a wraith trans or scx10 trans in my bomber to save some weight and make some room for my mmx. Tried searching on here to find if there was already a thread but can't find one, so who's running a different trans and what needed to be done to make it work? Longer outputs, new holes in skid, longer driveshafts etc? Or is there's already a thread that I can't find link me up! Thanks in advance Adam
akatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bomber trans options

I'm running the Wraith Trans and MMX on all 3 Bombers I have.

But you have 3 ways to go about it.

1. drill holes in Bomber Skid to accept Wraith Tranny - Free
2. get DMG Trans adapter plate for like $6 or $8 bones, can't remember
3. get one of those high clearance Circle City 3D printed skids drilled for Wraith tranny - around $30 I think.

As for Driveshaft length, I can't remember what we did, but do you have the Kit version? It comes with various lengths that you can swap in and out to fit. Nothing out of the ordinary needed to be done.

Oh, we did need to move the electronics box though. I think Circle City does offer a skid with Wraith tranny mounted holes that do not require you to move the box.

One one of my rigs, I put the box on the side in the cab, and the other I removed and put the receiver in the gas tank.

Last edited by *Old*; 06-07-2017 at 02:09 PM.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I use a Wraith trans in mine using a DMG adapter plate. Because the stock RX box doesnt fit, I put the RX in the fuel cell.
gottorque's F-Bomb
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post

But you have 3 ways to go about it.

1. drill holes in Bomber Skid to accept Wraith Tranny - Free
3. get one of those high clearance Circle City 3D printed skids drilled for Wraith tranny - around $30 I think.

As for Driveshaft length, I can't remember what we did, but do you have the Kit version? It comes with various lengths that you can swap in and out to fit. Nothing out of the ordinary needed to be done.

Oh, we did need to move the electronics box though. I think Circle City does offer a skid with Wraith tranny mounted holes that do not require you to move the box.

One one of my rigs, I put the box on the side in the cab, and the other I removed and put the receiver in the gas tank.

Thanks for all that, might have to get ahold of the dmg and get a plate. I didn't get the kit tho, bought it used for dirt cheap with a 2 speed and few other upgrades last year.

Forgot about that damn rx box and that the wraith trans would have to be flipped opposite of the bomber trans. This is why I posted here hahaha! Thank you sir!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I use a Wraith trans in mine using a DMG adapter plate. Because the stock RX box doesnt fit, I put the RX in the fuel cell.
gottorque's F-Bomb

Great thread, thanks! I may give the shorter trailing arms a shot in the future since there's no u4 around here. Mines mainly a hill killer/trail rig.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatz View Post
Great thread, thanks! I may give the shorter trailing arms a shot in the future since there's no u4 around here. Mines mainly a hill killer/trail rig.
I went from Bomber, to Wraith, and then to Twin Hammers length trailing arms.

With the TH length arms, I discovered by accident that I could get away without running the sway bar. Really improved it's crawlability. Even high speed racing it was OK.

But if I was U4 Racing all day long, then I would put the sway back on, but for what I do, which sounds similar to what you are doing, I don't think I need it anymore. Just a thought.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I went from Bomber, to Wraith, and then to Twin Hammers length trailing arms.

With the TH length arms, I discovered by accident that I could get away without running the sway bar. Really improved it's crawlability. Even high speed racing it was OK.

But if I was U4 Racing all day long, then I would put the sway back on, but for what I do, which sounds similar to what you are doing, I don't think I need it anymore. Just a thought.

Hmmmmm, I'm going to order a set and build some links to test this out as I've always wanted to try it out with wraith links but I like the TA look and beefiness. I don't run a sway bar but I have powerstroke xt's for the rear and I'm going to be running dlux trusses so I've got my links all the way up on skid and trusses which I've heard also really helps handling without using a sway bar.

Maybe I should start a build thread.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I'm going to order a set and build some links to test this out as I've always wanted to try it out with wraith links but I like the TA look and beefiness. I don't run a sway bar but I have powerstroke xt's for the rear and I'm going to be running dlux trusses so I've got my links all the way up on skid and trusses which I've heard also really helps handling without using a sway bar.

Maybe I should start a build thread.
I didn't realize the Dlux truss helps with handling like that. Good to know. I run the truss up front, mainly for the purpose of moving the servo down to lower the COG and b/c it kept hitting the chassis in it's normal position.

But with the TH length TA, if I remember right, is about 1 1/8" shorter than the Bomber length, so it moves the shock that much closer to the rear axle and that really helped control the torque twist. I mean, it's still there, but manageable.
Oh, plus I'm running extra wide (Yeti length) for the rear, which I'm not sure if that helped or not, but just a thought.

And yeah man, do up a build thread so we can see some progress!!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I didn't realize the Dlux truss helps with handling like that. Good to know. I run the truss up front, mainly for the purpose of moving the servo down to lower the COG and b/c it kept hitting the chassis in it's normal position.

But with the TH length TA, if I remember right, is about 1 1/8" shorter than the Bomber length, so it moves the shock that much closer to the rear axle and that really helped control the torque twist. I mean, it's still there, but manageable.

Oh, plus I'm running extra wide (Yeti length) for the rear, which I'm not sure if that helped or not, but just a thought.

And yeah man, do up a build thread so we can see some progress!!

Pretty sure I read that on the dlux site but I could be wrong haha, what servo are you using because my savox 1210 hangs down about 3mm below the axle tube itself and it will be ok for temporary but in hard on the equipment and feel like I'd ruin the servo with extensive use the way it is.

Wow 1 1/8" is a lot shorter than I was thinking it would be, maybe I'll find the stock plastic ones before I go all out on fancy ones.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:

can I get a link to that their plate
stump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
can I get a link to that their plate

Wraith to Bomber Trans adapter plate

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Pretty sure I read that on the dlux site but I could be wrong haha, what servo are you using because my savox 1210 hangs down about 3mm below the axle tube itself and it will be ok for temporary but in hard on the equipment and feel like I'd ruin the servo with extensive use the way it is.

Wow 1 1/8" is a lot shorter than I was thinking it would be, maybe I'll find the stock plastic ones before I go all out on fancy ones.
I'm using the Savox 2290SG, and it does not hang down. It's almost flush.

Here's a pic:

I also used UHMW tape on the bottom of the servo, that I used for wood drawers and such to help them slide better (I also do some wood working). Not necessary, but it does slide off rocks better and less scratches. Come to think of it, I should use these on the aluminum axle housing bottoms.
It's super thin, almost the thickness of a business card.

here is the length difference between the 3 Trailing arms.
Bomber, Wraith and TwinHammers. I believe Screamer has a much better picture around somewhere, but hopefully this will give you a a good idea on the differences.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm using the Savox 2290SG, and it does not hang down. It's almost flush.

Here's a pic:

I also used UHMW tape on the bottom of the servo, that I used for wood drawers and such to help them slide better (I also do some wood working). Not necessary, but it does slide off rocks better and less scratches. Come to think of it, I should use these on the aluminum axle housing bottoms.

It's super thin, almost the thickness of a business card.

here is the length difference between the 3 Trailing arms.

Bomber, Wraith and TwinHammers. I believe Screamer has a much better picture around somewhere, but hopefully this will give you a a good idea on the differences.

Wow that's a lot of tq that 2290 puts out, I had no idea! That's stronger than their 1/5 scale servos. Thanks for all the pics and Info, I like the tape idea and am going to have to find some for sure. I'm just itching to get the thing together and drive it so I might wait a bit on the Ta's because we have a few local comps coming up that I need to make it to.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wow that's a lot of tq that 2290 puts out, I had no idea! That's stronger than their 1/5 scale servos. Thanks for all the pics and Info, I like the tape idea and am going to have to find some for sure. I'm just itching to get the thing together and drive it so I might wait a bit on the Ta's because we have a few local comps coming up that I need to make it to.
No problem Bro.

And yes, the 2290 is a Beast! The torque isn't what impresses me with this servo, it's how it handles the strong impacts during rollovers, cartwheels and such that happens when you're gettin' wild! . Others have bent pins and broken gear teeth. The 2290 doesn't seem phased!
It's pricey, but considering I've purchased 7 servos during the last 1/2 year, hopefully these will last a while and get my monies worth!

Bomber trans options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Options for mounting a winch on a Bomber? TrackAttack! Axial RR10 Bomber 5 05-01-2017 08:40 PM
Bomber Body Options Cheddarcheesus Axial RR10 Bomber 5 04-10-2017 10:28 AM