Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs

I have. Hitec 7954 and it is a great servo, but after installing vanquish level 1 & metal links & a metal servo mount...... my plastic tabs on my servo broke in a minor collision with a curb.

Other than a full metal servo, anyone have tips on reinforcing the tabs?

I saw that proline servo saver the other day that looked interesting.
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs

Speed and running into stationary objects will do that

I utilize these for added servo ear strength: RCbros servo clamps

Even utilize them with my all alloy 2290 servo...

Servo savers rather suck for precise steering control.
It's probably better not to drive so fast and run into things that don't move.

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 06-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs

I use very similar products to what you see above, never borken the ears off my servo before, and I'm running the 7950, so essentially the same case. TBH the ear may have been compromised already, who knows, Taco's last line is spot on tho. I also would not run the servo saver
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys.

Your right on the not hitting crap.

But my Bomber is primarily driven by my 3 yo

I put the dual rates for throttle at like 30% and he is a good driver but sometimes he hits stuff.

I will invest in some of those reinforcements.

Otherwise I'll go with a full metal servo.

Appreciate the advice!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Thanks guys.

Your right on the not hitting crap.

But my Bomber is primarily driven by my 3 yo

I put the dual rates for throttle at like 30% and he is a good driver but sometimes he hits stuff.

I will invest in some of those reinforcements.

Otherwise I'll go with a full metal servo.

Appreciate the advice!

I will also play the "captain obvious" game

But I'll go a little farther

Instead of regurgitating the "don't run into stuff and you won't break anything" I'm gonna say:

"A 3 year old + a hobby grade RC will always result in broken stuff"

You're very welcome

Sent from my Apple iPhone 7…which, as you know, clearly defines me as being superior to you in every way
mudholestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

this either came across wrong or just totally like an ass.

This is something that we do together. he helps me repair the trucks and loves driving them

He cut his teeth on cheap toy grade crawlers and his first hobby grade RC he drove was the Yeti XL RTR.

He does a great job driving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXndRtzznhg

The only reason I am back in the hobby is bc I can spend time with my son doing it.

so.... sure.... a 3 yo is going to make some mistakes that someone else wont.... but that isnt really an issue.

I wasnt complaining, I was looking for a solution to get more time out of stuff before it breaks.

So I am not sure but I sure as hell know that my iPhone 7 plus is more superior than your tiny ass phone for people with little hands iphone 7
Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs

Good to see a dad and son having fun with toy trucks!
Vanquish has servo clamps with a slot in the middle, goes around that plastic bar on servos.
https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...tCode=VPS06933

For a youngster a saver might work best

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Your kids a beast! Impressive for a 3yr old.

Before we switched to the Dlux Truss with the lower axle servo mounts, we used the VP Servo mount and clamps and had no breakage issues with it. My boys aren't very good drivers either (at least not when we started), so lots of wrecks, but no issues with the VP servo mount stuff.
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm pretty sure he was being an ass.

I love the idea of kids and parents bonding over such a hobby. Great for motor skills, problem solving, etc. And outside outside outside. I'm currently trying to convince one of my firends who has a kid that doesn't want to do anything outside to get a crawler to peak his interest in motor-skills and activity.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Good to see a dad and son having fun with toy trucks!
Vanquish has servo clamps with a slot in the middle, goes around that plastic bar on servos.
https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...tCode=VPS06933

For a youngster a saver might work best

Hang up and Drive
Thanks, i didnt know vanquish made those, I ordered some from a different vendor... but ill grab a set of these too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
Your kids a beast! Impressive for a 3yr old.

Before we switched to the Dlux Truss with the lower axle servo mounts, we used the VP Servo mount and clamps and had no breakage issues with it. My boys aren't very good drivers either (at least not when we started), so lots of wrecks, but no issues with the VP servo mount stuff.
Thanks, yeah I just got a vanquish servo mount. I had a GPM one that was too thin of metal on the bottom and I could see some flex, could have lead to the breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechewmaster View Post
I'm pretty sure he was being an ass.

I love the idea of kids and parents bonding over such a hobby. Great for motor skills, problem solving, etc. And outside outside outside. I'm currently trying to convince one of my firends who has a kid that doesn't want to do anything outside to get a crawler to peak his interest in motor-skills and activity.

Yeah, it is tons of fun. I love hearing my son talk about the servos and axles in his lego creations

It honestly has been a perfect venue to introduce him to tools and how to use them.

And the bomber is a great platform for a kid, since it is geared for slower speeds and the drag break really helps to not hit stuff at full speed.

After installing metal steering component I broke my servo mounting tabs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC hold down tabs broke BillBergman Axial Yeti XL 7 03-08-2015 01:54 PM
mounting tabs lsone General Scale Talk 6 10-16-2011 04:10 PM
Crap! Broke the mounting ears off my old "chicken butt" servo... JavelinSST390 Electronics 1 04-26-2011 08:46 PM
Steering servo mounting need help rcrocks Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 03-18-2011 09:00 PM
Mounting tabs dominator1 General Scale Talk 1 11-17-2010 12:34 PM