Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Slow's "Masada" B1B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Slow's "Masada" B1B

In honor of Magpul's Masada rifle (now the Bushmaster ACR), I've decided to build my B1B around the new Magpul TT concept. I'll post more and update when I have a better computer in front of me. But I'm "done" with the bones and drive train of the rig for now.

I'll be testing it out at the beach next week with factory panels and wheels, etc. I have a Jeep body I'm working to fit to this. The front end will need a lot of work though. Maybe the rear as well. But I'll leave this here for now. I just hope I can stay on top of this thread...
Attached Images

slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Slow's "Masada" B1B

I suck at build threads...

Well, I got it together. I still have to do a lot of chassis and body work to get the look I want. But I had it ready for a trip to the beach. And it was fun! It did awesomely! Until...

I broke some things. I busted to SSD HD rod ends. Some hard and fast driving on the sand seemed to kick it's a$$. I need to look at some other options for trailing arms. Maybe JEC or Super Shafty? I'm open to opinions...

I also still have the servo saver on the rack. I'll be changing that out too. It's hard on the servo and rod ends for the steering link.

But I'm loving it so far! Just playing with the suspension and what not.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

JEC and SuperShafty are the same and both made by JEC - SuperShafty has their logo etched on them on one side...

JEC has custom-etched designs and lettering for individuals before - they are incredible.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

JEC makes the TA's for SuperShafty so those are the same. Not sure if the way they French in the rod ends is different than the SSD ones but they sure do look beefy.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
JEC and SuperShafty are the same and both made by JEC - SuperShafty has their logo etched on them on one side...

JEC has custom-etched designs and lettering for individuals before - they are incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
JEC makes the TA's for SuperShafty so those are the same. Not sure if the way they French in the rod ends is different than the SSD ones but they sure do look beefy.
It's definitely something I may do. But I may try a longer grub screw or just screw it in deeper to the rod end...

IDK. But it's been the only hang up SO FAR. So I guess I'm ok with that!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Drill the screw holes out and tap them for M4 or 6-32 set screws then use Revo rod ends. Best case scenario is you solve the rod end breaking problem, worst case scenario is you ruin a set of trailing arms that were going to be replaced anyway.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Drill the screw holes out and tap them for M4 or 6-32 set screws then use Revo rod ends. Best case scenario is you solve the rod end breaking problem, worst case scenario is you ruin a set of trailing arms that were going to be replaced anyway.
I may do just that... McMaster-Carr has 25ct for $5.72. I can easily tap it at work. I might also machine the ends to open up the ends to fit the Revo rods.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#92605a124/=18nxeet
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Man I thought the SSD TA's used revo ends already. Short sided there are Revo ends have become pretty much standard.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

They have their own rod ends, better than some. I think they make HD versions as well. But Revo ends are included with JEC.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Man I thought the SSD TA's used revo ends already. Short sided there are Revo ends have become pretty much standard.
They are similar but a little longer... And they have a SLIGHTLY smaller O.D. Go figure...
Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Got some things in the mail today... ordered from RPP on Tuesday evening and it shipped from Cali and got to Va today! Holy fast!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Apparently I fried my AE-3. Craptastic...

Anyone got a spare?

I'm not sure if I wanna go sensored or not in this rig... I mainly plan on trailing with it until I get the kinks worked out.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have an AE-3 I'd sell. Comes with a 3100KV Vanguard motor! ;) PM me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Also, I can see you like VP stuff.
Why not go with their one piece trailing arms?
I have four pair on different rigs.
They take a little patience for proper initial assembly, but once set with loctite they have never had issues.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Also, I can see you like VP stuff.
Why not go with their one piece trailing arms?
I have four pair on different rigs.
They take a little patience for proper initial assembly, but once set with loctite they have never had issues.

Luckily, I'm a smart guy. I figured since the ESC is dead, why not play with it... I cut off the "on/Off" switch, tied the two wires together, and BAM! It works.

On the subject of the TAs, I don't mind fixing them if they break. But I don't want ones that CAN'T be fixed. I thought about the VP ones and declined.

I also just ordered and received both 3mm and 4mm x25mm set screws. I'll try those. The ones that come with the SSDs are just a tad short IMHO.

But I appreciate the offer! Thanks man!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmethinks View Post

On the subject of the TAs, I don't mind fixing them if they break. But I don't want ones that CAN'T be fixed. I thought about the VP ones and declined.
I've never heard of anyone breaking VP TA's, but if they do in certain they'd replace them.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
I've never heard of anyone breaking VP TA's, but if they do in certain they'd replace them.

I went through two others on my Yeti, the VP were more patience for setup, but no issues at all with them since.
I learned the difference between 3mm and4mm with the tie rod on the Wraith..... sorry SSD !

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I went through two others on my Yeti, the VP were more patience for setup, but no issues at all with them since.
I learned the difference between 3mm and4mm with the tie rod on the Wraith..... sorry SSD !

Hang up and Drive
I also ordered 4mm set screws. If I have issues again with the 3mm ones, drilling and tapping I will go!

I have Wertymade's on my son's Bomber, and while ugly, they have been pretty solid. The grubs are a smidge bent, but nothing worth replacing over.

I had the Masada out on a 4+ mile hike today with my 5 yr old son driving half of it. Zero issues. It was a lot of fun! But I'm gonna have to slow it down...
Attached Images

Slow's "Masada" B1B - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
"Rockbiter" (German, "steinbeisser", "stone biter") CarterFab General Scale Talk 54 06-10-2013 11:19 PM