Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Another one bites the dust...servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another one bites the dust...servo

True it's less than the 500oz boys but even at 7.4v this servo turns the tires with ease even on thick carpet.

I don't know how heavy some people's rigs are but at some point higher oz's are just bragging rights.

Who needs over 20lbs worth of turning grunt on a 1/10 scale anyway.
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbknucks View Post
True it's less than the 500oz boys but even at 7.4v this servo turns the tires with ease even on thick carpet.

I don't know how heavy some people's rigs are but at some point higher oz's are just bragging rights.

The main reason is I want to durability of the overkill servo
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbknucks View Post

I've found servo's with high power outputs have the gear train to deliver it & hence survive in the somewhat abusive conditions we put them through, sure 150oz/in might be enough turn the tires but it won't survive.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I can see that. The Savox servo mentioned earlier looks beast! Huge gears with that extra bracing looks bomb proof.
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Well my JX5932 died on me today on its 2nd trip out. Think it took a knock. So is the Savox 1283 the one to get...knock resilient ? Can it be run at 7.4v for more poke or is it just a 6 volter. The bomber seems to be servo hungry....
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Default Another one bites the dust...servo

ProModeler 470 or Holmes SHV500

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Looks like both of those are in the states. I need something from the UK...thinking now about the Savox SB2290SG....
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Yup both US based.
The 2290 is a beast!

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

It'll take a while to arrive - but no matter, the build still isn't ready - I ordered a backup servo for my Bomber build(s) as an experiment...

The best JX available, JX BLS 12V7146 46KG :

Motor: brushless motor
Operating Speed (11.1V): 0.12sec/60°
Operating Speed (14V): 0.10sec/60°
Stall Torque (11.1V): 38kg.cm
Stall Torque (14V): 47kg.cm
- High-precision Taiwan-made steel gears with hard anodizing
- Full CNC aluminium Shell structure
- Dual ball bearings
- Waterproof

With a coupon code got it coming for around $55, shipped.

I have a ProModeler for one Bomber build, and a Holmes SHV500 for the other - the SHV is from the very first batch, so I'm just a little bit worried that it may end up with a bent pin...

It's going in the heavy-duty much-upgraded build, and may require service after running it around as is. If so, I can swap in the JX, while waiting for the upgrade to the newest revision of the SHV.

The JX also will run directly off of 12V, we'll see if I can report good results.

Not worried about the ProModeler, and the build it's going in will be relatively lightweight.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Ive ordered the 2290...got it for £99.99 hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Thought may as well go for the monster. It will be run from a MMX so hopefully the BEC on that should be man enough.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Finally got servo installed, USPS delayed it then I needed the free time to install. Got it done and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully this will be the last I have to replace the servo.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
The Savox 1283 is the only servo I have found with a different pin/gear setup. Every other servo out there, meaning all brands, are set up the same. 3 pins in a row, gears stacked up. They all strip the first tiny tiny gear, bend the center pin, or crack the front cover in half.

The 1283 will rip ears off if not properly supported. One piece VP mount flipped backward and nice big washers have completely eliminated my servo issues.

There's a good thread somewhere where I broke down the internal differences with a ton of pictures.

Every other servo
I like the looks of that Savox.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Any tips on a source for Promodeler servos? I'm used to being able to find almost anything on RPP or Amain's site. I see the Promodeler's site has them up for sale. I have a few other items on my list, is there any other sources that might have crawler parts too?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Any tips on a source for Promodeler servos? I'm used to being able to find almost anything on RPP or Amain's site. I see the Promodeler's site has them up for sale. I have a few other items on my list, is there any other sources that might have crawler parts too?
I don't believe there is any distribution for his servos, when I searched for it only found his site
Old 02-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
I don't believe there is any distribution for his servos, when I searched for it only found his site
Nope - he's running a very traditional old-school American Mom & Pop business.

His wife handles the paperwork, he handles the product design.

If you do purchase from them it's really like stepping back in time!

Go through the lengthy threads on ProModeler... they make for some interesting reading.

I got what I think was the first "surprise" ProModeler drink koozie after first ordering a servo, and then writing back to ask for some stickers because I was so impressed by them.

People ask about it all the time because I walk around my work with my Monster Import energy drink inside it.
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Default Another one bites the dust...servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

John and Lynn Beach..... great folks and great servo. Yep the koozie and stickers rock, the servo is even better. Mil spec quality.

That’s OPIE as seen in his ads

Hang up and Drive
Old 11-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I predict an upgrade to my bomber in the future, after the plastic knuckles and c-hubs are aluminium.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
It'll take a while to arrive - but no matter, the build still isn't ready - I ordered a backup servo for my Bomber build(s) as an experiment...

The best JX available, JX BLS 12V7146 46KG :

Motor: brushless motor
Operating Speed (11.1V): 0.12sec/60°
Operating Speed (14V): 0.10sec/60°
Stall Torque (11.1V): 38kg.cm
Stall Torque (14V): 47kg.cm
- High-precision Taiwan-made steel gears with hard anodizing
- Full CNC aluminium Shell structure
- Dual ball bearings
- Waterproof

With a coupon code got it coming for around $55, shipped.

I have a ProModeler for one Bomber build, and a Holmes SHV500 for the other - the SHV is from the very first batch, so I'm just a little bit worried that it may end up with a bent pin...

It's going in the heavy-duty much-upgraded build, and may require service after running it around as is. If so, I can swap in the JX, while waiting for the upgrade to the newest revision of the SHV.

The JX also will run directly off of 12V, we'll see if I can report good results.

Not worried about the ProModeler, and the build it's going in will be relatively lightweight.

When you get that jx servo take it apart and make sure the pc board isent touching anything mine shorted out the first time i pluged it in the pc board was touching the case the little foam piece was in the wrong spot and dident hold the board in place it fried my momba so it ended up costing 2 times th3 cost of a quality servo i did salvedge what was left and made a winch out of it it will lift 20lbs on 6v so whatever i just need a new servo and a new momba now lol sometimes being cheap cost more
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

I have had about 5 different servos in mine and the savox SB2274SG has been in there the longest. I just install the proline servo saver to see if that helps out.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #40

The Savox is a good servo. So is the Holmes. Mine isn't bad either. One thing I believe you guys should all consider is using a sacrificial part.

If possible, I recommend folks run our heavy duty plastic servo arms (some rigs like an X-MAXX require a special servo arm). Anyway, they're only a buck each, but a bag of 25 gets the price down to 68¢ (and splitting a bag of 100 with some pals gets it down to 50¢ each). The idea is, when it breaks (not if), you're only out the few minutes it takes to replace it (plus some small change).

The alternative is being out of contention (if you're competing), plus the cost of the damaged or destroyed servo (mine or my competitors). Then there's the time required to remove and replace the servo, which is longer than it takes to R&R an arm. And don't forget the time waiting on repair/replacement if you don't have one on hand (plus postage costs).

Anyway, I'll never get rich off these servo arms - but they can definitely save you some dough. By the way, in mechanical engineering the concept of sacrificial parts is at least as old as the concept of the fuse in electronics. Applying it to your rig can save you more than money because a lot of you can only get out to the trails occasionally and spoiling this time because of a broken servo (which can happen just minutes into the run) absolutely stinks!

ProModeler single-horn HD servo arm: https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS101
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Another one bites the dust...servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another one bites the dust! 8th motor and counting..HELP!!!! hiluxscaler Electronics 18 02-19-2012 10:20 AM
From Dust Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 12 08-07-2011 08:30 PM
Another one bites the dust! camel_rc Electronics 2 02-28-2008 12:21 PM
Eel bites off guys thumb, then he replaces it with a toe!! Brandon Chit Chat 2 03-13-2007 01:46 PM
Another 945mg bites the dust! BENDER Electronics 22 02-27-2005 02:49 AM