Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Bomber portal axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Bomber portal axles

I'm thinking about putting portal axles on my bomber, what are my options? I know I could use scaler width portal axles (gen8 scout, trx4, Vanquish, SSD for scx10) but I'd prefer not to go narrower than ar60s. I might be able to build something but I'd prefer to know if someone's already done it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

Default Re: Bomber portal axles

Is there really a benefit to portals on a big 2.2 rig? I rarely encounter any situation where my diffs are in the way of anything on my Bomber. I like my portals on my 1.9 rigs, but really never felt that a 2.2 rig needed them.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD has discontinued their Wraith portals, but they have some left on sale if you order direct.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Is there really a benefit to portals on a big 2.2 rig? I rarely encounter any situation where my diffs are in the way of anything on my Bomber. I like my portals on my 1.9 rigs, but really never felt that a 2.2 rig needed them.
I find that my diff becomes a snowplow, then I get stuck lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
RC4WD has discontinued their Wraith portals, but they have some left on sale if you order direct.
I've not been impressed with the quality of their products, but I may give that a try. I've seen their portals and it seems to me that they went for a 1:1 ratio, instead of something lower like a trx4, which would be and is better.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have no experience with the product, but I think High Altitude Performance on Shapeways has portal boxes that are AR60-compatible.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/high...performance-rc
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRayRay View Post
I have no experience with the product, but I think High Altitude Performance on Shapeways has portal boxes that are AR60-compatible.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/high...performance-rc
Nice find, and they are priced CAD. The question is do they require a beef tube equivalent....... to be stout enough? Print material? Gear sets? When you're said and done, how much $$$ will you have in a set of plastic axles? Is the VP product compatible? You would think someone would be machining lockouts the are TRX4 compatible by now to add to the AR60. How wide are the new Redcat portals? Otherwise, make a belly pan skid plate that hinges from the front side, tied to the axle. Hokey, but you now have a sled, not a plow.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
You would think someone would be machining lockouts the are TRX4 compatible by now to add to the AR60.
Good idea, I think I'll start designing that at some point, the only question is how to manufacture them, and how many people would even be interested. They'd probably have to include custom axle shafts though.

Bomber portal axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Bomber portal axled truggymabob Bulldog 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 06-13-2018 09:19 AM
Portal axles? Damatheus Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 08-03-2017 05:06 PM