Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Greatscott's RR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Greatscott's RR10

I finally bit the bullet and got a Bomber kit...

Axial RR Bomber Kit by GreatScott, on Flickr

I was on the fence about going with the kit or RTR. Doing some comparisons between the two it became clear that the kit was the better deal, better shocks, aluminum links, reinforced trailing arms, better tires and wheels, and I would have just ripped the stock electronics out anyways, the kit seemed like the clear choice.

I will be running this with my DX5R (4-ch DSMR RX) and 3S SMC lipos, I have a short shopping list of what I need to get for it to run under it's own power and looking for some educated input...

Motor:
- I am thinking about running a brushed motor, but might just bight the bullet and go with the 1406-2280kv. The last sensored BL system I had the ESC was waterproof, the the sensor cable was not, is this system fully waterproof?

Servo:
Those big tires need power to move, I was thinking about going with a Savox 1270TG. Is there a better servo for the money?

Winch:
I want to use this thing for C3, and that means a winch. What is a good system and where to mount it?

BEC:
I know the Mamba X is popular, has anyone found a need to run an external BEC with it? 8 amps seems like it would be more than enough.

Other Stuffs...
The beefed-up trailing arms are a nice touch, but they are still plastic, thinking about the Gucci VP set. I will likely throw some lights on this, but it is not high on the priority list.

What else should be upgraded or modified right out of the box?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Greatscott's RR10

Beeftubes for the axles
Spools to replace the wimpy axial lockers
Aluminium beadlocks
RPM revo rod ends
Team knk Stainless hardware
*Maybe the knuckles and c-hubs for peace of mind*

I went crazy with upgrades but i would say these are the basics

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For servo I run a ProModeler S470 on 7.5v, and so far have not wanted for more torque. As an added plus, it's water resistant and is also the quietest servo I own. I run it off the BEC in my Mamba X.

For winch mount I think wertymade makes one.

For trailing arms go VP or supershafty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Agreed. SSD trailing arms are nice as well and a good price.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wertymade does make a servo winch mount.

Wertymade RR10 Bomber Stainless Servo Winch Plate

And HeyOK has a few options for winch controllers... You can get one with a small keyfob to control it or have it controlled via Tx. He also sells them with a servo.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Many thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming.

I went ahead and bought a Castle 1900kv sensored motor, I figure on 3S it should do well on the rocks.

I was thinking about reliving my early crawler with this rig, when I had my AX10 with a HR dig unit. Does anyone make a dig unit that bolts on, or a dig transmission?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Axial Dig - you'll need to swap in a Wraith transmission to use it - which is easy enough, and fairly commonly done:

Axial Racing - Dig Component Set

Vanquish has a fancy one, they explain what needs to be done on the link:

Hurtz Dig V2 Black - Vanquish Products
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post

Agreed. SSD trailing arms are nice as well and a good price.[/QUOTE]

I kinda wish I had the SSD trailing arms, setting the tension on the VP's with the set screw was kinda a PITA. I would get it just where I want with the set screw, lock it down and it would be overlight tight. Rinse and repeat a dozen times before getting it where I wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Many thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming.

I went ahead and bought a Castle 1900kv sensored motor, I figure on 3S it should do well on the rocks.

I was thinking about reliving my early crawler with this rig, when I had my AX10 with a HR dig unit. Does anyone make a dig unit that bolts on, or a dig transmission?

I just installed the Mamba X and 2850kv. It is plenty fast just on 2S for rock crawling stuff, and a blast on 3S with more open terrain.
I'm running stock RTR gears.

the 1900kv should be even better for crawling on 2 and 3s and plenty fast on 3s still.

I plan on going SSD 2 speed instead of wraith with dig since I don't do a lot of technical crawling, but more general fun rock bouncing.

Last edited by angrchair; 04-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Even though the MMX has an internal BEC I’d still get an external BEC just in case the internal one gives out, and ruins the resale value of the MMX.

I like my RCs to be more modular, I don’t really like taking things apart that don’t have connectors installed. I’ll avoid un-soldering, and re-soldering wires anytime I can.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
Even though the MMX has an internal BEC I’d still get an external BEC just in case the internal one gives out, and ruins the resale value of the MMX.

I like my RCs to be more modular, I don’t really like taking things apart that don’t have connectors installed. I’ll avoid un-soldering, and re-soldering wires anytime I can.
Great advise, I will keep that in mind. Soldering is no biggy for me, I do it professionally and it is something I enjoy.

Shocks springs...

My kit came with Kings with blue springs that have a yellow dot, they are 3.27lbs and are too stiff for crawling. What is a good spring setup for crawling? I was thinking about going with 2lbs springs (AX3021, I already have 45wt in the shocks.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

My build continues in slow motion...

I just built an internal spool servo winch that will be mounted on a plate under the hood. It is built on a Savox 150oz (@ 6VDC) servo, it might be a bit under powered, but I didn't want to spend too much money on my first try out of building this style of winch. I might pop for a better servo if this build works out ok.

I am waiting on my premium Chinesium beadlocks, Amazon says they'll be here sometime this year....

Mamba X mounting...
What/how/where are you mount the Mamba X? The best place I can find is on top of the RX box, which isn't too bad, but it bugs me that it covers two of the RX's bolt holes. Is there a better way/place to mount it?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My build continues in slow motion...

I just built an internal spool servo winch that will be mounted on a plate under the hood. It is built on a Savox 150oz (@ 6VDC) servo, it might be a bit under powered, but I didn't want to spend too much money on my first try out of building this style of winch. I might pop for a better servo if this build works out ok.

I am waiting on my premium Chinesium beadlocks, Amazon says they'll be here sometime this year....

Mamba X mounting...
What/how/where are you mount the Mamba X? The best place I can find is on top of the RX box, which isn't too bad, but it bugs me that it covers two of the RX's bolt holes. Is there a better way/place to mount it?
You can mount yours how I mounted mine, still on top of the receiver box, but long ways instead of side ways. Using 3M double sided adhesive.

You want it kind back over the transmission a little, or the battery will hit the ESC. I got mine right on the first try.

Last edited by angrchair; 04-24-2018 at 10:28 PM.
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Progress continues...

I have everything on the lower frame mounted up. I have gone through and programmed the Mamba X with what looked right, uploaded and installed the latest firmware. Fired everything up and calibrated the radio to the ESC, everything looks like it is doing what it is supposed to except for the power switch, which looks like it is broke in the 'On' position. What settings on the Mamba are recommended for crawlers? And, I wasn't sure about the sensor setting.

RR10 Bomber by GreatScott, on Flickr

I made an attempt at an internal spool winch, it works, but it is terribly slow and needs some refinement before it goes into a crawler, so I bought an HR dual motor winch. I will use a small QuicRun ESC for a motor contoler for the winch, the only problem is the double-clutch reverse, which isn't that big of a problem, but there are no programming options on this ESC other than NiMH or Lipo mode.

This is sort of how the winch and ESC will sit in the Bomber...

RR Bomber by GreatScott, on Flickr

And finally, wheels! There were 46 screws per wheel... Luckily it only take four to take them apart.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looking good, what wheels are those?

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Looking good, what wheels are those?

Chanquish OMF maybe?

I wish i bought those instead of my other design (KMC Bully). I can't fit the acorn nuts from LURC so far.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

These guys:

https://www.amazon.com/RCLIONS-inche...eadlock+wheels

Other than a lot of screws, they were REALLY easy to put together. The inner screws really are not needed other than to provide weight. I have a set of their 1.9s on my TRX4, they look good and have had no problems with them.

TRX4 with Dodge Body by Greatscott, on Flickr
Old 04-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I bought similar ones, however - mine are 25mm wide, not 37mm - which means I'll have loads of fun trying to fit them to tires once those come in... (ACK!)

Cheap wheel mix & match

Definitely going to pick the narrowest 2 sets of tires that I have and use them...

My other 2 wheelsets include Gearhead RCs (nice and wide!) and Incision Methods (somewhat wide).

The original Vanquish OMFs were also super narrow, many people ran widener rings which are nearly impossible to find.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have most of this thing together. I had to pull the cage off last light to do a bit of reprogramming of the Mamba X, and wanted the BEC set for 7.5VDC instead of 6VDC. I wish there were more voltage steps available for this ESC.

Is there a fix for those cheese-assed ball-ends that are put in the shock caps of the King shocks?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have most of this thing together. I had to pull the cage off last light to do a bit of reprogramming of the Mamba X, and wanted the BEC set for 7.5VDC instead of 6VDC. I wish there were more voltage steps available for this ESC.

Is there a fix for those cheese-assed ball-ends that are put in the shock caps of the King shocks?
Rubber bushings from axial

Old 05-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:

I forget which balls the King shocks use, but Hot Racing makes some nice and inexpensive hollow balls to replace the stupid Axial plastic balls.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-...ss!19512!US!-1
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Greatscott's RR10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greatscott's Rubicon Build Greatscott Axial SCX-10 24 05-10-2021 08:09 PM
GreatScott's TF2 Reboot Greatscott RC4WD Trail Finder 2 74 07-30-2018 05:55 AM
Greatscott's TRX4 Greatscott Traxxas TRX-4 17 07-14-2018 11:20 PM
Greatscott's M2 XR-10 Greatscott Axial XR10 94 01-27-2015 11:55 AM
Greatscott's SWX (Finished at last!!!) Greatscott Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 03-08-2010 11:02 PM