Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Budget RC Bomber kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #41

Default Re: Budget RC Bomber kit build

Yesterday my Mamba X ESC arrived to compliment the Castle 2850kv 4 pole sensored motor that arrived a few days ago.

I tore the Bomber apart and installed them. I took pictures, but my phone has decided to start corrupting all of my new images.

Anyway, initially I expected to have to trim back the super long castle motor leads, but because they come off the pads toward the front of the motor instead of coming off toward the back, I needed all of that length to wrap it around back to the ESC. This Mamba ESC is HUGE, but it ended up taking up less space than my old esc, BEC and BEC wiring, so overall, the size doesn't present a problem. I like that I don't need that external BEC anymore.

Before I put the body back on, I need to program the ESC, and I also may swap the trans gears around to lower the gearing a little bit. The only other thing I want to try and finish up before I leave for vacation is to finish my vinyl wrap on the side panels.

I'm excited to run this vehicle this weekend on vacation. If I can get my phone to take pictures again, I hope to get some nice pics & video over the weekend!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #42

Tonight I set up the ESC with the PC software. I did a function check and all was fine. I installed the body & tires, fired it up and the ESC wouldn't come on. I tore it all back apart & determined that the on/off switch was flakey. That switch is amazingly cheap. Not at all what I expect from a premium quality (and premium price) esc. I had to solder on the switch from a $35 esc. I did a quick shakedown run, and I'm very happy with the motor/esc combo so far. On 2s it has great starting resolution and great torque. Top speed is still a bit lacking. On 3s, low speed is still excellent, but now has a lot more top speed. The switchable drag brake looks like it's going to be great. I set up the momentary switch on my RG3S to toggle the channel.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-03-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #43

We got to vacation, and there's a perfect rock filled water drain right at our cabin. I've done some running on 2S so far and I'm thrilled with how the vehicle works. Tomorrow I'm going to try 3s. My only complaint is that the vinyl wrap isn't holding up well at all. It's also clear that these stock foams are too soft. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get some pics and video.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #44

I've been running the Bomber quite a bit. Yesterday I took it on a 1.5 mile trail around the lake. It wasn't exactly challenging, but it was a lot of fun. The extra speed makes this a lot of fun to trail bash. Today I ran in the rocks, and ran a different trail. The combination of low speed control and high speed is perfect for this truck. I took some video of the rocks and trails. Once I get home I'll edut & upload the video. I'll try to get some pics too.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #45

I'm almost done editing the video that I took while I was at the state park, and should have that uploaded to Youtube soon.

This weekend I used the Bomber behind my house, and took some video as well. I'm really enjoying this vehicle.

Here's the video from behind my house:

I think my next upgrade is going to be some LED lights so I can use it at night.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #46

Wow... it's been a while since I updated this.

A while back I put a OneTooManyRCs light bar on the truck, and incorporated a Turnigy switch so that I could toggle it on and off from my Radiolink controller.

The light ended up not being as bright as my cheap DIY light that I built for my Gen7, which really surprised me, but it works great, throws ample light, and looks good on the truck.

I've got a video of the switch installation as well:
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #47

One area where I really felt that this truck was lacking was in tire quality. Not only was the grip pretty poor on anything besides rough rocks, but the foams were so soft that the tires collapsed way too easily.

Right around Christmas Pitbull had a 50% off sale, so I grabbed some Alien compound Rock Beasts and some dual stage foams.

For wheels I really wanted an 8 or 10 hole design similar to the plastic Axial 1.9s, but there are very few choices for a wheel like that in a 2.2. I found this set on Ebay, and the price was right, so I ordered them and waited for the boat to come from China. Last night I turned all eleventy billion screws and got everything put together, although they're not on the truck yet. I'm very impressed with the build quality of these wheels. The machine work looks fantastic, and the surface treatment completely eliminates the CNC lines, and leaves a super smooth, satin surface. All of the screws fit perfectly, and the screws themselves seem to be a pretty sturdy stainless steel.

I'll get these mounted in the next day or two, and with any luck, I'll get a chance to try them out on Friday, although I suspect there will be enough snow still on the trails that I won't be able to really gauge how well they work.

My one unknown right now is whether I'm going to install the center caps or not. That's a LOT of screws to remove every time the wheels need to come off the truck, and between that and the hassles associated with pulling the cage off the body every time I need to get inside, I'm going to start dreading working on this truck.

I was thinking that if I remove the center caps and just run the screws into the holes in the wheel, that it might look pretty good if I grab some silver lock nuts to use. What do you guys think? Here's a pic with one wheel each way (minus the silver lock nut)

Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #48

Those are some good looking wheels!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #49
RCC Addict

How about acorn nuts with blue locktight once its didaled in? And just like my RC4WD wheels, though I never counted them all, eleventy billion little machine screws sounds about right.
Just noticed, those are 8 lug, not the usual 6. Guess I only have tenty billion screws then.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Those are some good looking wheels!
Thanks! I love that style wheel. The only thing I'm not real fond of is the shape of the center cap, but if I omit it, that's a non issue anyway. The best part is, the wheels weren't expensive. I think they were about $62 shipped from Ebay.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Thanks! I love that style wheel. The only thing I'm not real fond of is the shape of the center cap, but if I omit it, that's a non issue anyway. The best part is, the wheels weren't expensive. I think they were about $62 shipped from Ebay.
I noticed your comment about having to remove the entire cage anytime you need to work on your bomber... I too dreaded this and found out that it's not necessary most often. If you loosen the screws at the top of the B pillars, remove the screws at the top and bottom of the A pillars, you can pivot the entire cage back using the B pillar as an axis point and access most anything you need from there. Diagram for reference, remove red and loosen blue.
Attached Images

DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #52

I'll have to try that. Does the interior pivot with the roof bars?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'll have to try that. Does the interior pivot with the roof bars?
as I stated in another thread, I have my interior removed when I got this figured out, so I can't answer that question honestly. I think it would if you only ran the front interior mounting screws, but I'm thinking you'd need to remove the ones behind the driver and passenger.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #54

Wheels & tires are installed, plus I FINALLY finished wrapping my side panels.

I love how this thing looks now, and the new tires are a night and day improvement.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Looks great!
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Great!
WesleyRoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Budget RC Bomber kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FFWF's Budget Bomber Build F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. Axial RR10 Bomber 168 01-26-2021 01:28 PM
My Bomber kit build Iky104 Axial RR10 Bomber 34 12-13-2016 11:55 AM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
My First All Black Jeep Rubicon Kit Finished **Budget Build** daltrey Axial SCX-10 21 12-11-2013 05:10 PM
new Rubicon unlimited kit budget build ?s bigred22 Axial SCX-10 16 03-06-2013 12:23 PM