Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Look what i got!! Bens build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Look what i got!! Bens build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Someone on another thread said to paint black under and then use the plastic film over the drivers as a mask to cut them out and paint them.

I'll try that and give them a white suit with a couple of Brown wash to look dirty and red gloves/helmets

Trimming the over spray film as masking works really well on these.
Super sharp blade & hardly any pressure & it cuts easy & crisp in all the nooks & crannies.
It's how I did my cockpit, gun metal grey on the inside then just black from the outside for the fire suits.
My only complaint is every other time I've painted that black if came out flat/matt finish which is what I wanted & expected here, why it's so gloss I've no idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by altd896; 10-06-2017 at 12:48 AM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

I bought a can of flat clear to put over the drivers after I remove the whole overspray film.
Should make sure they look realistic instead of glossy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

It's looking great! Can't wait to see it finished.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #24

I've been seeing a ton of axial vehicles turned into rock bouncers. Thinking on making this buggy have 4ws and throw on a metal rollcage. It seems super easy to add 4ws to this vehicle. I'm gona try it stock first. More pics to come tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
Trimming the over spray film as masking works really well on these.
Super sharp blade & hardly any pressure & it cuts easy & crisp in all the nooks & crannies.
It's how I did my cockpit, gun metal grey on the inside then just black from the outside for the fire suits.
My only complaint is every other time I've painted that black if came out flat/matt finish which is what I wanted & expected here, why it's so gloss I've no idea.
Is that an aftermarket hood and panels on ur buggy??

Last edited by THX_138; 10-12-2017 at 12:55 AM.
brapskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapskidoo View Post
I've been seeing a ton of axial vehicles turned into rock bouncers. Thinking on making this buggy have 4ws and throw on a metal rollcage. It seems super easy to add 4ws to this vehicle. I'm gona try it stock first. More pics to come tonight
I wish! Dont think I've seen a bomber with 4ws because the back end will hit the servo and I think the upper links are in the way as well. Can't say that I've made much of an attempt at finding a solution though. I'd suggest mocking it up with parts you already have to see if it's possible before you throw any $ at it. good luck though, if you pull it off ill be the next one with 4ws.
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
I wish! Dont think I've seen a bomber with 4ws because the back end will hit the servo and I think the upper links are in the way as well. Can't say that I've made much of an attempt at finding a solution though. I'd suggest mocking it up with parts you already have to see if it's possible before you throw any $ at it. good luck though, if you pull it off ill be the next one with 4ws.
I didnt really think about how much effort was going to be involved. I was watching a video of 2017 axialfest and seen a bomber with 4ws. Im almost done the build so ill look into it after

Got my two buddies strapped in

Got the rollcage all done up. I had to put some screws where they didnt belong but it worked out well. I really cant stress enough lubing up the stainless steel screw heads before installation. I tried one without and stripped halfway in. Made for some difficulty getting out.

Last edited by THX_138; 10-12-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Is that an aftermarket hood and panels on ur buggy??
It's stock roof & sides.
Hood is.040 sheet lexan, bent on the edge of the bench.
Cos that's had the DMG B1B kit put in it the stock hood doesn't work, the kit comes with an alloy hood but I can't paint worth a pinch, painting inside lexan makes my half baked paint look ok.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Im building a bomber with 4ws. I changed out the rear setup to wraith links and adjusted the pinion angle, it just barely clears the cage. Upper links aren't in the way either, its just like the front, so servo sits above upper links. The DMG runs 4ws with stock TA's but he changed out the servo mount/truss to dinky rc S type to get more up travel before cage hits.
84yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Im building a bomber with 4ws. I changed out the rear setup to wraith links and adjusted the pinion angle, it just barely clears the cage. Upper links aren't in the way either, its just like the front, so servo sits above upper links. The DMG runs 4ws with stock TA's but he changed out the servo mount/truss to dinky rc S type to get more up travel before cage hits.
Thats awesome! Can you post some pics??
Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Nice! I have been playing with the idea of going to 4 link in the rear since I already have moved my shocks from the trailing arms to the axle mounts. No speed stuff for me just trail and crawl so it makes since. Now I have something to do today. Are you doing a thread for your new build? Sure would like to see some pics and or video?

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I've been watching this build from the beginning, and I like the personal touches you have added so far Ben. The paint looks awesome, wish I could force myself to put some time into paint but I just don't have the patience. Don't worry if you don't get much response, the views show that we are out here watching and lurking. keep it up, it's almost fun time!
brapskidoo likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #31

Im so close now. I like how theres a set screw for the hubs to help decrease any slop.

And there it is all assembled! I still dont have a motor and esc but ill add that later on. Overall I have to say im quite please with the build. The truck seems solid and durable. The only complaints I have about the kit is that the motor mount was plastic and not aluminum, all the pivot balls were plastic and the servo mount was plastic. I know I can upgrade all these parts but we will see what breaks first. I think they should have included more stickers for the little driver guys because they look pretty plain and fake.

Fuel cell all detailed. I want to add some fuel tubing to give it that extra bit of detail

I really like the design on the underbelly. Drive shafts are stright and theres not as much as I thought to get hung up on

Need to adjust the servo still

Can anyone tell me what all these spare parts are? I didnt see them used in the manual

Last edited by THX_138; 10-12-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what all these spare parts are? I didnt see them used in the manual

I believe some of that is for the yeti.

The parts tree in the upper left of the picture has an ammo box that you can assemble.
brapskidoo likes this.

Last edited by Mikeinsocal; 10-08-2017 at 02:52 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

At least you got a complete kit!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I would suggest your next purchases to be VP one piece servo mount and VP SS link kit. Also, in your last picture of the spare parts, right in the middle the 2 circle pieces with 5 fins, I used one of them for my fuel filler cap (I think the one with smaller opening, iirc). Cut the fins off flush, use a long cap head screw that will stick out enough to hook up your fuel tubing on the other side. Then zip tie it up on the cage above rear shock tower.
brapskidoo likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #35

Does anybody have any tips on a window mesh?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Does anybody have any tips on a window mesh?
Search for Lego net, it seems to be the most durable out of the options I've seen people using.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Search for Lego net, it seems to be the most durable out of the options I've seen people using.
Its literally Lego brand net ehh. Any other options?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I was using window nets from legos (find them on ebay), but I changed them out for ucfab 3d printed nets. Both good choices.
brapskidoo likes this.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Why was urs not??
My kit is missing a sprue for the shocks and my savox servo has a broken tooth out of the box...

Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Your Bomber looks great! You should have upgraded the plastic balls to metal during the build. It would have been easier. Not a huge deal though. It's laughable that Axial does not include metal ones. The Axial metal balls are extremely overpriced. I am using the Hot Racing ones on mine.

Hot Racing Axial SCX10 Blue Aluminum Hollow Ball Set SCP160B06 | eBay

I splurged for the overpriced Axial aluminum motor mount. This is a part where you want perfect tolerances. If not it can spin. I've read that spinning can be an issues with some of the other aftermarket brand aluminum motor mounts.

The set screw in the 12mm hex is so that you don't pull them off when pulling off the wheels. That is a PITA and often how you lose the little drive pins.
Mikeinsocal likes this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Look what i got!! Bens build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
Bens Fj 40 build aircooled67 Axial SCX-10 29 03-31-2010 04:02 AM
Climbin and crawlin @ bens nd4spdbh Videos! 4 07-14-2005 09:26 PM