Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Best Brushless combo for Mainly crawling and wheel speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Best Brushless combo for Mainly crawling and wheel speed

Hello there guys, I have been reading alot here and now i need your experince..

I'm building Bomber kit and what to order Brushless Motor & ESC.

I have owned brushed motor so far and no exp in Brushless...
I saw that Castle have some nice combos

Now for what I want with my bomber:
The most importent is low end speed control, I want if to preforme as brushed or very close to one.
I use it like 70% of the time crawling..the rest 30% I want to kinda bash it but not too hard..kinda want to start explore the bash scene with the RR10...

I'm running 2S and would like it to stay.

Please guys give me info on what I can do with this but I preffer crawler people with brushless exp because I do want ALOT of low speed control with it...please also tell me if I need to regear pinion to 9T or 2speed trans...

I have been thinking of the combo from castle..I hope it will give me enough wheel speed and torque:
Castle Creations Mamba X SCT 1/10 Brushless Combo w/1415 Sensored Motor
(2400kV)

Will this can be good enough? it's 210$ combo..great vaule for money.
baruch620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Best Brushless combo for Mainly crawling and wheel speed

John from Holmes hobbies says castle's 1406s are too small for the bomber, he recommended the HH Puller (standard) 3500kv. I'll be pairing that with my Mamba X. (I run 3S, but you don't have to)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
John from Holmes hobbies says castle's 1406s are too small for the bomber, he recommended the HH Puller (standard) 3500kv. I'll be pairing that with my Mamba X. (I run 3S, but you don't have to)

Yes I know the 1406 cans are small and don't have the torque I need..so I thought I will go with the 1415 that is much larger but is 2400KV...with it be good for me?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

With that KV I'd probably go 3s, also that motor is not waterproof, but yes it'd probably work.

Last edited by MasteroFlego; 10-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you care about low speed control and say you want the best, based on reputation I'd go for a Holmes sensored motor over a castle paired with a mamba X and use the aux control on a 3rd channel. There is a thread about it and it seems especially popular with bombers. IMO 3s or even 4s and gear as needed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
If you care about low speed control and say you want the best, based on reputation I'd go for a Holmes sensored motor over a castle paired with a mamba X and use the aux control on a 3rd channel. There is a thread about it and it seems especially popular with bombers. IMO 3s or even 4s and gear as needed.

Can you please tell me if 2400KV 1415 Castle with Mamba X will be a good setup for me with 2S [maybe 3S down the road]...I can regear lower if needed.

I want a motor that will be like my old tekin 35T in torque...that will be powered by 2s
Old 10-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If you're lucky a 2400kv on 2s in a bomber will have an incredibly fast top speed of... 9mph. Because of the long can of the 1415 it should have plenty of torque, but I still recommend moving to 3s.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
With that KV I'd probably go 3s, also that motor is not waterproof, but yes it'd probably work.

Actually that motor is waterproof. here is a link to castle ...

Castle 1415 1Y Sensored Motor - 2400Kv

I would run that motor on 4s to get the rpm you are going to want. In fact I would run it on 5s if I could find the correct size battery. I plan on running 4s on my puller pro 3500 in the bomber I am building. It will be an absolute beast. 3s is as low as I would go. 2s will be slow and boring, especially on a bomber.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Volt up and gear down. I still say for what you're looking for you're better off with a Holmes motor.

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruch620 View Post
Hello there guys, I have been reading alot here and now i need your experince..

I'm building Bomber kit and what to order Brushless Motor & ESC.

I have owned brushed motor so far and no exp in Brushless...
I saw that Castle have some nice combos

Now for what I want with my bomber:
The most importent is low end speed control, I want if to preforme as brushed or very close to one.
I use it like 70% of the time crawling..the rest 30% I want to kinda bash it but not too hard..kinda want to start explore the bash scene with the RR10...

I'm running 2S and would like it to stay.

Please guys give me info on what I can do with this but I preffer crawler people with brushless exp because I do want ALOT of low speed control with it...please also tell me if I need to regear pinion to 9T or 2speed trans...

I have been thinking of the combo from castle..I hope it will give me enough wheel speed and torque:
Castle Creations Mamba X SCT 1/10 Brushless Combo w/1415 Sensored Motor
(2400kV)

Will this can be good enough? it's 210$ combo..great vaule for money.
Can I ask why you are stuck on 2s? You can get a great deal on 3s or 4s batteries. Volt up and gear down. I would say get a puller pro 3500kv and run it on 3s. Gear it down low and you will have the best of both worlds. Want more speed, throw in a 4s pack that day. With the amazing options in the brushless world, I would steer clear of 2 speed transmissions. Its just another part to break.

I just picked up a mamba x used for 100 and you can get a brand new puller pro for 129. Thats only a few dollars more than your 2400kv 1415 can motor. One thing to note about the castle motors is that they are nearly impossible to get the rear of the endbell off to replace bearings. I have a thread that shows the internals of all 3 popular motors. Castle epoxys in the endbell and I was not willing to ruin a brand new 1410 3800kv motor just to show the sensor board.

Just food for thought, many people run the monster x on the bomber. It would have more headroom and is readily available used for $90-$100 all day long. An added benefit of the monster x is that it is lighter than the smaller mamba x. I think they can be found for around $125 or less new.

Top brushless motor teardown comparison

Good luck with your hunt. The advice here is solid on 3s or 4s.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

I'm not sure how much torque you need, but I have the 1406 2850kv Castle sensored motor, and I haven’t yet found a situation where I didn't have enough torque. I couldn't be happier with how the motor performs. I've run it on 2s and 3s, and at low speeds, they are both fine. I obviously get more wheel speed with 3s, but I can barely keep the truck on its tires on nice long flat straights. On anything less, the 2s speed us adequate.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-16-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Any of the 14 series motors will have poor low speed control. They are not designed for a crawler or to have controllable power delivery.

Puller Pro 540 was specifically designed for the wraith and bomber.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ive ran numerous combo's. by far my favorite is a MMX/ PP3500 standard(in a bomber) stock gearing(3/4s). I currently have a 6 castle 1406's and 1 1410. they are great little motors. However do not directly compare to a Puller pro, performance or monetarily... If you looking for low end performance and butter startup, save yourself buying twice, save up and buy a puller pro. If you're hell bent on 2s, maybe consider a pp4500.

In my TRX-4 I have a MMX/ 1406 2280KV "slate" motor as I wanted to try one out. its great, thank god for the 2 speed. if it were single speed id be kicking myself I didn't buy a PP 3500.

Last edited by Lanky; 10-16-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

What he said. ^^^ Great advice right there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I’ve tried all the new Castle motors, green and slate colored sensored. I’ve tried the new Roc412HD also. All on 3s and all paired to a Mamba X or MMX. The Holmes Puller Pro is still noticeably smoother at startup and lower speeds especially at higher loads like steep uphills or when bound up. The Castle and Tekin motors seemed to run just a bit cooler but the Holmes never became too hot to touch.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

love my roc412... I've heard nothing but great about the holmes puller pro. You can get the roc412hd for water resistance, and also the holmes. I would go between those choices. Don't think castle has anything to compete with the type of use you're describing.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I’ve tried all the new Castle motors, green and slate colored sensored. I’ve tried the new Roc412HD also. All on 3s and all paired to a Mamba X or MMX. The Holmes Puller Pro is still noticeably smoother at startup and lower speeds especially at higher loads like steep uphills or when bound up. The Castle and Tekin motors seemed to run just a bit cooler but the Holmes never became too hot to touch.

I had to make some accommodations in engineering in order to get the extra smooth startup, and it drove the terminal resistance up about 10% for any specific KV. This is why they run slightly warmer. We will have a race version out soon that counterbalances it with higher grade materials. Although even in U4 race conditions the motors aren't getting overheated, this improvement will make them cooler running and less prone to brake fade in race situations.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Race versions you say...I haven't even worn out the PP 3500 standard, and the PP 3500 XL, but I must have one.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I had to make some accommodations in engineering in order to get the extra smooth startup, and it drove the terminal resistance up about 10% for any specific KV. This is why they run slightly warmer. We will have a race version out soon that counterbalances it with higher grade materials. Although even in U4 race conditions the motors aren't getting overheated, this improvement will make them cooler running and less prone to brake fade in race situations.
Hello there, what ESC you recommend?
Which Puller you suggest? and how much KV?
will be the best for my low speed control?

[I'm going to run 2s mainly, I do have 3s on me but when crawling I don't like the 3s...]
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #20

Mamba x, Puller pro 540 3500kv or 2700 kv

Best Brushless combo for Mainly crawling and wheel speed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Use Speed Passions 1000kv Cirtix Rhino Brushless Rock Crawler Combo? mazdaprotege4 Electronics 0 04-21-2011 07:28 PM