RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial RR10 Bomber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/)
-   -   Anyone use these trailing arms? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/591819-anyone-use-these-trailing-arms.html)

nd4spdbh 11-14-2017 05:35 PM

Anyone use these trailing arms?

So i have a stock arm that i think its about to fail on me (looks like its cracking by the chassis)

The stock plastic arms have done very well as far as durability so i was just going to buy those, but i saw these on ebay and was wondering if anyone was running them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Lower-...E44MQyDzetpLTA

Im tempted to stick with the stock arms as being plastic they slide well over the rocks, aluminum, not so much.

MasteroFlego 11-14-2017 05:45 PM

Re: Anyone use these trailing arms?

You get what you pay for. Which is why I'm going to get a set of supershafty's stainless steel trailing arms.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jboucher 11-14-2017 06:06 PM

If you cant replace the rod ends, you will be buying new arms so I would say no to these cheap ebay trailing arms

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MasteroFlego 11-14-2017 06:34 PM

Yep, that's why I suggest supershafty or vanquish.

durok 11-14-2017 07:32 PM

SSD makes a nice set, as does Blue Monkey. However, the JEC Design / SuperShafty arms are my favorite, which is why I got 'em.

Jim85IROC 11-15-2017 07:01 AM

The stock plastic arms combined with the aluminum gussets from the Bomber kit get my vote. They're plastic so they slide over the rocks, but the aluminum gussets make them much more rigid. The plastic arms are cheap enough that in the event you do break or wear out another one, you can just keep spares on hand.

durok 11-15-2017 09:47 AM

Mine will be up on the classified section soon... meh. Gimme stainless!

MasteroFlego 11-15-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5767241)
Mine will be up on the classified section soon... meh. Gimme stainless!

What set do you have?

durok 11-15-2017 11:27 AM

The kit arms and braces for the Bomber. I'm going to install my JEC Racing/SuperShafty stainless arms... My kit hasn't been built yet!

NitroDarwin 11-15-2017 02:58 PM

I had the idea of making my own braces and while at I had the thought of wrapping the brace around the bottom of the trailing arm i.e. toco. Now I'm hungery lol

nd4spdbh 11-16-2017 03:55 PM

Yeah im gonna just stick to the stockers with my kit plates... super shafties are nice... but good god, 50 bucks on sale for 2 small pieces of metal, no thanks. I can get 3 sets of stokers for that price

sportbikeco 11-19-2017 08:51 AM

It's ok bling but heavy than stock and not durable like expensive sets. I would like to try the plates on a stock set, maybe just one per arms, may have to make um.

durok 11-19-2017 05:12 PM

Just don't make somethin' along these lines:

https://l3rc.com/images/axial_yeti/a...led_guards.jpg

Doesn't hardly strengthen the arms (only in one spot), will drag and catch on obstacles worse than stock, and they're more expensive than a whole set of cheap eBay arms.

An interesting trailing arm design that Carter Fab & Machine sells:

Carter Fab & Machine » Yeti Fabricated Trailing Arms- Raw

I've seen someone else make a similar style themselves. Somewhat ugly, but very scale and functional!

svt923 11-20-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4spdbh (Post 5767691)
Yeah im gonna just stick to the stockers with my kit plates... super shafties are nice... but good god, 50 bucks on sale for 2 small pieces of metal, no thanks. I can get 3 sets of stokers for that price

But you will probably wear out the ball ends on all 3 sets of stock arms before you wear out the first set of Revo ends on the SS arms. The plastic stock arms may not fail but those ball ends stretch and become unbearably sloppy rather quickly.

nd4spdbh 11-21-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5768664)
But you will probably wear out the ball ends on all 3 sets of stock arms before you wear out the first set of Revo ends on the SS arms. The plastic stock arms may not fail but those ball ends stretch and become unbearably sloppy rather quickly.

Actually running traxxas ball ends in my stock plastic arms with the kit plates and everything is super tight.

I will stick to the stock arms at this point unless this becomes a more prevelant issue. Had the rig for over a year now and this is the first major part that has show any signs of failure, though it has not yet failed.

JatoTheRipper 11-21-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4spdbh (Post 5767048)
So i have a stock arm that i think its about to fail on me (looks like its cracking by the chassis)

The stock plastic arms have done very well as far as durability so i was just going to buy those, but i saw these on ebay and was wondering if anyone was running them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Lower-...E44MQyDzetpLTA

Im tempted to stick with the stock arms as being plastic they slide well over the rocks, aluminum, not so much.

I'm sure they will work. They might break with a lot of abuse, but they should be fine for crawling. For the price they are worth the gamble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboucher (Post 5767058)
If you cant replace the rod ends, you will be buying new arms

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasteroFlego (Post 5767061)
Yep, that's why I suggest supershafty or vanquish.

Vanquish have the problem mentioned above. When the ball wears the arm you have to toss it and get a new one. The VP design is stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5768510)
Just don't make somethin' along these lines:

https://l3rc.com/images/axial_yeti/a...led_guards.jpg

Doesn't hardly strengthen the arms (only in one spot), will drag and catch on obstacles worse than stock, and they're more expensive than a whole set of cheap eBay arms.

An interesting trailing arm design that Carter Fab & Machine sells:

Carter Fab & Machine » Yeti Fabricated Trailing Arms- Raw

I've seen someone else make a similar style themselves. Somewhat ugly, but very scale and functional!

What a dumb skid plate! :lmao:

Carter Fab stuff looks like absolute garbage. I can't get over the Mickey Mouse look of his stuff.

Jim85IROC 08-18-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5767191)
The stock plastic arms combined with the aluminum gussets from the Bomber kit get my vote. They're plastic so they slide over the rocks, but the aluminum gussets make them much more rigid. The plastic arms are cheap enough that in the event you do break or wear out another one, you can just keep spares on hand.

I hearby rescind my previous statement. My stock arms are doing great where the aluminum reinforcements are, but they're failing forward of the reinforcement plates near the skid plate mounting points.

durok 08-18-2018 08:02 PM

The biggest problem with stock trailing arms is that if you stretch or break the area around the pivot balls, you can't just swap a new set of rod-ends in and keep going...

New rod-ends are dirt cheap!

I recommend SSD if you are on a budget, JEC Racing if you want them out of a harder alloy (7075 instead of 6061 T-6) or stainless steel (heavier) for sliding over rocks better.

Also, if you want to shorten your rear end for better crawling, JEC offers Wraith or even shorter Twin Hammers lengths of the same arms, and they all use Revo rod-ends available at any LHS.

I have both SSD and JEC SS trailing arms, can't ask for better!

Jim85IROC 08-18-2018 08:05 PM

I don't like that the SSDs use M3 rod ends instead of M4. The JECs look great but nobody seems to have them in stock. I'm looking at the Blue Monkey arms and so far I like what I see. The Vanquish arms look strong, but if they wear out at the balls they're toast.

Jim85IROC 08-18-2018 08:11 PM

Ughhh! Looks like Blue Monkey stuff is vaporware too.