Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Yeti Score Trophy Truck Rims & Tires on the Bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti Score Trophy Truck Rims & Tires on the Bomber?

Is anyone running the 2.2 Yeti Trophy Truck rims & BFG tires on the Bomber?...if thats even possible? any pics?

I have a set of Wraith Spawn Method rims & Ripsaw tires for the slower crawling etc but I am looking into a slightly lower profile / smaller OD tire to lower the COG for the more high speed fun?

The Yeti trophy truck BFG tires are 4.72" / 120mm tall which would be ideal to lower it a bit & still have enough clearance

Last edited by BOMBERINOZ; 11-25-2017 at 12:17 AM.
BOMBERINOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti Score Trophy Truck Rims & Tires on the Bomber?

I don't know why his build thread disappeared, but google image search "MACFAB Bomber" and you'll still find pics of his hand fabricated "bomber" on Yeti TT tires/wheels.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thats a shame that thread has gone? some rather different ideas he had going on by the looks of it
Old 11-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Im curious to know if it is possible to simply fit the smaller OD Yeti BFG tires straight on to my Wraith Spawn Method rims?

These are the Yeti TT tires I want to run>
Axial Racing - 2.2 3.0 BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 Tires 42mm - R35 Compound (2pcs)

My Wraith Method rims>
Axial Racing - 2.2 Method Beadlock Wheels - IFD

& these are the Yeti trophy truck rims that seem to be a different size on the inside & outside bead??? + these rims require the tire to be glued on according to the instructions, much prefer the simple beadlock setup on the rims I already have>
Axial Racing - 2.2 3.0 Method 105 Wheels
Old 11-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sadly you car not going to get them to fit, i tried with some toy grade tires that are that size and they didnt work. That wheel size is the short course truck size (gives more scale look with 2.2 outer bead) you might be able to find beadlocks but not very likely races don't want extra weight. And would be pretty good for the faster stuff, I'd just buy some cheap rim to glue them on and have fun

Last edited by NitroDarwin; 11-25-2017 at 05:59 AM.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Proline makes 2.2/3.0 beadlocks (Split-six they are called).
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
Sadly you car not going to get them to fit, i tried with some toy grade tires that are that size and they didnt work. That wheel size is the short course truck size (gives more scale look with 2.2 outer bead) you might be able to find beadlocks but not very likely races don't want extra weight. And would be pretty good for the faster stuff, I'd just buy some cheap rim to glue them on and have fun
Did you check the links I posted? the tire I mentioned is still a 2.2 tire but it just has a smaller OD @ 120mm vs the stock 138mm OD Bomber tire, without physically having them to try out though im only going by the specs which says they suit a 2.2 rim just the same

Point is I dont want to buy other rims I have pretty well brand new Axial Wraith Spawn Method Beadlock rims that will work perfectly fine for what I want, basically looking at smaller ID tire options without having to go down to 1.9 rims, dont see the need to when you could simply run a lower profile tire
Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

This is another example, Proline BF Goodrich KR2 with an even lower profile or OD @ 4.30" / 109mm tall, getting closer to a 1.9 size tyre but it suits a 2.2 rim>

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...-medium-tires/
Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Proline makes 2.2/3.0 beadlocks (Split-six they are called).
So the short course rims & tires have 2 different sized beads on the rim & tyre? never owned one so I dont have a clue, the SC rims & tires mention 2.2" & 3.0" so im guessing the smaller face of the rim is the typical size & the other inside part of each rim & tyre has a larger bead section?

Terrible setup if it is, must be a reason for it but I will stick to the common size 2.2 only size rims I have

& as mentioned the Axial 120mm OD tire I mentioned only lists 2.2 so it should fit my rims?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

OH my bad they do mention 2.2 / 3.0 bead....scrap that idea then unless I fit the rims also>
Axial Racing - 2.2 3.0 BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 Tires 42mm - R35 Compound (2pcs)
Been looking at lots of different tires & its getting late here!

Guess I will have to stick with the stock size or run 1.9 rims, not a fan of the SC style rims with the different sized inner & outer bead setup
Old 11-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you want to run a Trophy truck-style tire on a 2.2 beadlock wheel, check these out - 4.33" tall:

Dune T/A 2.2" Off-Road Tires

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
RCC Addict

SCORE tires will work fine, but you'll have to run the rear offset on all 4 corners, which will widen your track just a bit. You can also stretch 1.9 BFGs onto your 2.2 and accomplish the same thing (4-3/4" od tires) If you need the low tire pressure effect, do the 1.9s, short course program resembles 30 psi because of the small foams. So in closing, if you intend to be hauling the mail on trails rather than crawling, run the SCORES.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERINOZ View Post
So the short course rims & tires have 2 different sized beads on the rim & tyre? never owned one so I dont have a clue, the SC rims & tires mention 2.2" & 3.0" so im guessing the smaller face of the rim is the typical size & the other inside part of each rim & tyre has a larger bead section?

Terrible setup if it is, must be a reason for it but I will stick to the common size 2.2 only size rims I have

& as mentioned the Axial 120mm OD tire I mentioned only lists 2.2 so it should fit my rims?
The reasons are 2.2 outer bead gives a scale look while the rest of the rim and wheel give a buggy style wheel handling. Trying running a 2.2 tire are more than crawler speeds and your rc will wobble all over the place child wearing their father's shoes
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help guys, just trying to sort out all the details, already bought a RTR Bomber for my son & we have done a few upgrades on it to make it handle better already

I found a brand new cage & the Wraith wheels & tires to start a new build & I want a few different tire options to try out

Looks like this now, waiting on lots of goodies to complete the build

Last edited by BOMBERINOZ; 11-26-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroDarwin View Post
The reasons are 2.2 outer bead gives a scale look while the rest of the rim and wheel give a buggy style wheel handling. Trying running a 2.2 tire are more than crawler speeds and your rc will wobble all over the place child wearing their father's shoes
Yup. This, and more room for hubs and steering stuff inside a 3.0 wheel.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I think you've worked out you can't fit the TT tyres on the 2.2 wheels but there should be zero reasons mechanically why you can't fit the TT wheel/tyre package to the RR10.
You may have to tinker with the hub spacers to get clearance as I think the TT wheels have a deeper back space than the RR10 2.2 wheels.
But otherwise hex size, stub axle & hub spacers should all be interchangeable.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Ah well if I happen to find a set of Yeti Score rims & tires cheap I will try them out

Wouldnt mind trying out the RC 4WD tires also but I think they would be a little bit too small, anyone have some pics of these fitted?
Might be OK for an indoor pavement type track setup?
Old 11-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #18
RCC Addict

The SCT tyres shouldn't look too bad, the Yeti TT tyres at 4.72" are some of the tallest 2.2/3.0 , most are only 4.3"
1.9 size wheel & tyres (similar size as you looking at) look perfectly fine on both the RR10 & Wraith, though they really can do with a slight shortening of the wheelbase & a narrower axle to bring the proportions back.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bomber, rims, tires, yeti, yeti score trophy truck

Yeti Score Trophy Truck Rims & Tires on the Bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck RTR - ON SALE! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-22-2016 01:34 PM
Yeti SCORE Trophy Truck IN STOCK! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-13-2015 11:33 AM