Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Axial Bomber upgrade list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Default Axial Bomber upgrade list

Hi all, I was wondering what people were putting for priority upgrades on their bombers. Right now I have installed vanquish knuckles and chubs, castle creations mamba X esc with sensored motor, promodler servo, incision link kit, SSD rear centered D60 plastic axle, vanquish servo horn, incision spool, aluminum servo mount, vanquish 850 slw hubs, proline faultline 2.2 rims, and finally proline 2.2 xl flatiron tires.

The one problem that seems to be recurring has to be the weakness in the steering department. Now that I have a bulletproof servo I seem to bend links
and strip servo horns left and right. Is there any way to fix this? I was thinking that the Dlux Truss could help by changing were the servo is mounted and giving better steering geometry. Has anyone used this truss?

Any answers to my steering dilemma would be appreciated along with any other upgrades that you deem necessary. Thanks!
RR-10 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial Bomber upgrade list

Your bending Incision Stainless steering links?
Short of having binned it into or off something at high speed (from which there'd be other carnage) bending links sounds suspiciously like your servo end points aren't set right
& your big power servo is just jamming the knuckle around full & then some more. If so it's a good reference for the servo that it doesn't just burn up.

The DLux truss is nice, I've had one for a while, primarily to drop the servo down away from the frame (does get it closer to being hit from the underside though)
It does improve the geometry by the servo horn being horizontal & roughly the same rotational plane as the knuckle arm but I doubt it will make any other differnce to your problem,
you'll still have the same power servo, same links & same length steering & servo arms.

Pics of your set up might give us some more clues.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The first upgrades to my RTR were a better servo and steering links, stock plastic links are stupid weak

I got BoomRacing aluminium links, and no issues now with a 20kg servo
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

You definitely need to set your steering end points. If you don't have a controller that can do it adjust the dual rate.

The best Axial Bomber "upgrade" is to start with the kit instead of the RTR. If you have the RTR you'll need the following:

Better tires & to a lesser extent wheels (I prefer Proline Hyrax and GearHead wheels)
Beef Tubes - aluminum in a fast rig or brass in a crawler or dual purpose
Metal motor plate
HD axle gears

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-04-2018 at 08:11 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

Hmm... I thought I had set my endpoints correctly?? I do try to get the most steering out of my car but I thought it would be fine as long as the knuckle wasn't hitting the chub or experiencing any binding in the drivetrain. Is there a different way to set the endpoints??? Also I wouldn't put the problem past a big impact. I do drive the truck like a complete maniac!!!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I don't know about other radios but I use a Futaba 4PLS, in that I set end points literally by turning full lock & then backing off the end point until I see the wheel come back very slightly.

If end points are set then there's not much we can help on guiding new parts if you disengage brain before driving, sounds like you've got really good parts but nothing out there is impervious to driving "like a complete maniac"
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
I don't know about other radios but I use a Futaba 4PLS, in that I set end points literally by turning full lock & then backing off the end point until I see the wheel come back very slightly.

If end points are set then there's not much we can help on guiding new parts if you disengage brain before driving, sounds like you've got really good parts but nothing out there is impervious to driving "like a complete maniac"
Yeah, I am still running the stock radio my bomber came with. Guess I shouldn't drive my bomber like I do monster trucks.
Still adjusting to the whole crawler/rock racer thing. Sorta thinking I should have kept my monster truck so I do have something to go crazy with. Oh well, thanks for the help!

Tags
axial, bomber, dlux, steering issue, upgrade parts

Axial Bomber upgrade list - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member buying a wraith, my upgrade list alexhunter Axial Wraith 12 06-20-2013 10:05 PM
Aluminum link upgrade parts list AX30550 Chad_Crawler Axial SCX-10 1 08-10-2011 08:16 AM
ax-10 upgrade list with some questions JeepXJ Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 04-16-2010 07:29 AM