RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial RR10 Bomber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/)
-   -   Bomber Roller? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-rr10-bomber/593977-bomber-roller.html)

MAC FAB 01-11-2018 09:02 PM

Bomber Roller?

I'm looking at getting a roller, hold your breath, a RTR. My scratch build is getting sidelined and pilfered to build another SCORE class 1 buggy, and I have other ideas for the scratcher so it can run 2.2s happily, so it will require a mulligan.

So, just a couple of Qs for you guys. If you compete in any crawling class with these, how much "leeway" is there in the interpretation of the rules relating to the car? To what extent can you modify the concept/design of the rig and still have the blessings of it being recognized as a Bomber? Finally, what is considered to be a good deal $$$ being that I'm looking at an RTR and not the kit (I want a new rig to start with and don't need the kit upgrades other than the diff gears, I'm guessing)?

durok 01-11-2018 11:00 PM

Re: Bomber Roller?

Spotted a brand new slider (needs electronics & wheels/tires) for right at $300 shipped on fleabay - add a HobbyWing 1080 ESC, Holmes Hobbies 550 Trailmaster 21t, $20 Chinese waterproof 20KG servo, FlySky GT3C radio...

$40 ESC (programmable, waterproof)
$20 motor
$20 servo (can be found w/aluminum servo horn at this price)
$45 radio (includes USB rechargeable LiPo Tx battery)

so $300 and add $125 more for the above, then pick your wheels & tires...

Stock RTR is $400 and has a weak servo, "meh" motor & ESC, mediocre radio, plastic wheels and hard compound tires... I'd definitely spend the difference.

MasteroFlego 01-12-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5786888)
Spotted a brand new slider (needs electronics & wheels/tires) for right at $300 shipped on fleabay - add a HobbyWing 1080 ESC, Holmes Hobbies 550 Trailmaster 21t, $20 Chinese waterproof 20KG servo, FlySky GT3C radio...

$40 ESC (programmable, waterproof)
$20 motor
$20 servo (can be found w/aluminum servo horn at this price)
$45 radio (includes USB rechargeable LiPo Tx battery)

so $300 and add $125 more for the above, then pick your wheels & tires...

Stock RTR is $400 and has a weak servo, "meh" motor & ESC, mediocre radio, plastic wheels and hard compound tires... I'd definitely spend the difference.

What he said

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MasteroFlego 01-12-2018 12:28 AM

As far as leeway for upgrades in comps, just find out what ruleset is run at your nearest club, or read the SORRCA rules, you can do almost anything you want in U4RC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MAC FAB 01-12-2018 08:06 AM

Got another question. Drive shafts on a RTR. How durable are they, for hanging up on rocks......., abuse? Same as the kit?

durok 01-12-2018 08:37 AM

Exactly the same as the kit. HD Wild Boar driveshafts come standard in both, hold up pretty damn well...

Bliss_RC 01-12-2018 09:04 AM

honestly if I were you, id get the kit. I got my rtr for $350 brand new off tower hobbies, but had I known what I know now, I would've just got the kit. It comes with u-joint front axles for more steering angle, aluminum steering and suspension links, hd gears, better version of the king shocks (with aluminum caps) and I'm not sure what else...but I ended up replacing most of the stuff on my rig already in the first month. Upgraded to a hobbywing 1080, HH trailmaster 550 21t motor, promodeler 470 servo, incision ss links, vanquish trailing arms and steering horn.

durok 01-12-2018 09:52 AM

My recommendation was for bare minimum, for certain. Personally I also would get new links, Promodeler servo, SSD trailing arms, servo horn... And a kit. Of course, I am the idiot that spent the last 18+months buying everything I can think of...

MAC FAB 01-12-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5787052)
My recommendation was for bare minimum, for certain. Personally I also would get new links, Promodeler servo, SSD trailing arms, servo horn... And a kit. Of course, I am the idiot that spent the last 18+months buying everything I can think of...

I realized that. I have an idea for links and drive line that I want to try. I may be better served and $$$ ahead by getting a skid and some axles, then use my cut up Bomber cage I already have. Hmmmm....... wheels are turning. Well, they are always turning, they never stop.

kwonchoba 01-13-2018 01:13 PM

I have a roller ill sell you decently cheap pm me