Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: best bomber foams? And shock setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2023, 12:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default best bomber foams? And shock setup?

Hi guys, I have a pretty built out bomber. I'm stuck on what foams to get. I bought the proline single stage closed cell foams, and they feel like a mistake. Running the hyrax tires can make it tricky to find the right sized foam I feel.

The truck handles good, but is so bouncy like a pogo stick over bumps its almost undriveable.

For shocks I'm running proline powerstroke xt's with the separate softer springs. I feel I need to run like 5wt oil up front. But at the same time, I'm not sure what setup other people run, all I know it was pretty good with the soft foams and not so good with the single stage proline brick foams I just put on.

Not sure if I can remedy the suspension with the foams I just got or if I should go the other direction and get better foams?

I think the springs are greens maybe yellows, can't see the color, nor the date when I bought them or what I purchased..

Thanks
-Spence

Last edited by Spence; 08-30-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: best bomber foams? And shock setup?

Is it the tires bouncing or the suspension?

I'd probably try a stiffer shock oil, around 30wt. 5wt is very thin for a rig like that imo

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Is it the tires bouncing or the suspension?

I'd probably try a stiffer shock oil, around 30wt. 5wt is very thin for a rig like that imo

I think its the tires, its setup fairly plush in the rear and the front. I'm leaning on getting some 5 weight oil and maybe 10-15 wt for the back. I'm just not sure if it makes more sense to just get rid of these foams and get a set of dual stages.

Its just that it went from flipping over easily cause of the soft foams, to bouncing like a pogo stick over bumps.

Last edited by Spence; 08-30-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Lower viscosity (wt) oil reduces the damping, which increases bouncing, especially with stiffer springs

I'd try a higher viscosity oil (30wt to start) before discarding your closed cell foams, as it's fairly easy (and cheap) to change shock oil. You'll know from that whether you should consider two stage foam.

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:13 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Lower viscosity (wt) oil reduces the damping, which increases bouncing, especially with stiffer springs

I'd try a higher viscosity oil (30wt to start) before discarding your closed cell foams, as it's fairly easy (and cheap) to change shock oil. You'll know from that whether you should consider two stage foam.

Well, I figured out that it was underdampened and under sprung and too much droop especially in the rear, causing that pogo effect when hitting bumps. Im running proline blue springs up front and greens in the back, pretty soft springs. I might try going down from 40 to 30wt as its almost perfect now.

best bomber foams? And shock setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber Kit shock setup question cfrea Axial RR10 Bomber 6 11-04-2016 04:53 PM
What pair of foams to replace the stock bomber foams? nd4spdbh Axial RR10 Bomber 14 10-11-2016 10:36 AM
CI Foams for Bomber? Drm31078 Axial RR10 Bomber 27 09-17-2016 09:25 PM
Bomber gets dual shock setup NitritedCarbide Axial RR10 Bomber 9 03-17-2016 02:22 PM