Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Johnny takes 10 months to build a Bomber with an 11 year old helper.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny takes 10 months to build a Bomber with an 11 year old helper.

After my big little guy got some time at the wheel, I decided to sneak out for a couple of miles on my own.

Now, it's only had some easy trail use so far, but I'm having a blast. It feels nimble and has power to spare. I'm glad that I (finally) broke down and got one and that we (finally) got it running.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say, but(t)* for now it's photo time!

Axial RR10 Bomber by johnny anguish, on Flickr

* My helper would appreciate that joke.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny takes 10 months to build a Bomber with an 11 year old helper.

Here are a few more pics from my first outing with the Bumblebomber. I can't wait to get it back out on the trails.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I was here to say nice looking Bomber but now I am more interested in the Cheez-it crumbs.

What is the optimal use of the Cheez-it crumbs in a Bomber? What flavor did you use? What flavor provides maximum performance? Can Goldfish be substituted for Cheez-its in a pinch?

So many questions.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I was here to say nice looking Bomber but now I am more interested in the Cheez-it crumbs.

What is the optimal use of the Cheez-it crumbs in a Bomber? What flavor did you use? What flavor provides maximum performance? Can Goldfish be substituted for Cheez-its in a pinch?

So many questions.
The Cheez-It crumbs were my helper's idea. They were the normal flavor, not the white cheddar or anything like that. He applied them liberally. I'm not sure what the benefits are, but he's a really bright kid. I didn't question it. I suspect future applications may be required as they didn't appear to adhere to all of the surfaces equally.

Also, there's no way Goldfish would work as well. That's silly talk.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
The Cheez-It crumbs were my helper's idea. They were the normal flavor, not the white cheddar or anything like that. He applied them liberally. I'm not sure what the benefits are, but he's a really bright kid. I didn't question it. I suspect future applications may be required as they didn't appear to adhere to all of the surfaces equally.

Also, there's no way Goldfish would work as well. That's silly talk.
Sorry for the noob "snack food remnants on your truck" questions, I'm still learning. Guess I should just accept the word of someone smarter than me.

I'll check in after buying some Cheez-its.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I managed to sneak it out for another couple of miles. Yup. Still love it.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I had the Bomber out again yesterday. This time I took it for a short run on some trails that are a bit more challenging, but still only moderate. Unsurprisingly, it made quick work of it.

What impressed me most was how, nearly "box stock", it was able to take a line up a particularly steep rock face that took a bunch of tuning to accomplish with my Wraith and Yeti. The Wraith needed new tires/foams (I did these at the same time, but the 2.2 Ripsaws might have worked with proper foams), battery forward, flipped shock mounts, shorter shocks and a rear swaybar before it made that line. The Yeti required new foams and a lot of suspension tuning (especially in the rear). The Wraith will now walk the line. The Yeti requires a bunch of wheel speed and almost drifts up the rock face.

The Bomber has CI Deuces Wild foams and took the line with minimal tire slip on it's first try. With grippier* tires it would walk it no problem (I hope to put this to the test shortly). The only other "tuning" I've done to the Bomber so far was to decrease the pre-load on the shocks to get a more favorable stance. I just eyeballed it when I built it. Easy peasy. This rig just works.

Also, I may be a better driver now than I was when I got the Wraith 4 years ago. Hmm. Nah.

I still haven't done a lot of testing at speed yet. I'm curious to see how tweaks for that will affect the rigs climbing ability.

* Grippier? Grippy-er? Stickier! I know that's a word!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

We've had some crazy weather this week. We got 6" of snow Saturday night followed by 50, 60 and 70+ degree days (breaking a couple of records in the process). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to log much trail time. I did manage to sneak in a couple of miles with the Bomber after work yesterday. I even found a little area for some speedy stuff. This rig is fun. It may be a tad bouncy, especially in the rear. I may go with a heavier oil at some point. For now I'm just going to run it as much as I can. It's over 10 trail miles now. Time to take off the kid gloves.

Oh, and it snowed today (it was 75 yesterday)...

Old 02-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
We've had some crazy weather this week. We got 6" of snow Saturday night followed by 50, 60 and 70+ degree days (breaking a couple of records in the process). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to log much trail time. I did manage to sneak in a couple of miles with the Bomber after work yesterday. I even found a little area for some speedy stuff. This rig is fun. It may be a tad bouncy, especially in the rear. I may go with a heavier oil at some point. For now I'm just going to run it as much as I can. It's over 10 trail miles now. Time to take off the kid gloves.

Oh, and it snowed today (it was 75 yesterday)...

Sounds like Chicago weather. As long as you are having fun, nothing much else matters. Just dress for the weather and go.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

The end of winter/beginning of spring saw us get hit with storm after storm. I pretty much stuck with my Wraith during that time to minimize the number of rigs that would require extra maintenance from all the snow and mud.

The weather is finally coming around, so I got the Bomber out on the trails for a little over 4 miles this past weekend. That was fun...

by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The end of winter/beginning of spring saw us get hit with storm after storm. I pretty much stuck with my Wraith during that time to minimize the number of rigs that would require extra maintenance from all the snow and mud.

The weather is finally coming around, so I got the Bomber out on the trails for a little over 4 miles this past weekend. That was fun...
Lovely build. Quick question. As luck has it, we have the same ESC, Receiver, and HeyOK KOH lights.
I'm having trouble with mine since I upgraded to the SR415 receiver, the brake lights won't light solid no matter how I trim the throttle on the radio.

Did you have any issues with yours?
angrchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrchair View Post
Lovely build. Quick question. As luck has it, we have the same ESC, Receiver, and HeyOK KOH lights.
I'm having trouble with mine since I upgraded to the SR415 receiver, the brake lights won't light solid no matter how I trim the throttle on the radio.

Did you have any issues with yours?
Whenever I've had issues with the brake lights not working it has been due to either the kids messing with the throttle trim or not cleanly plugging in a battery with a particularly tight connector (you can hear the ESC resets itself mid plug). Otherwise it has worked very well.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

A couple more runs on the Bumblebomber. We crossed the 20 mile mark without issue. Things were going swimmingly...

Then one day my little build helper wanted to go on a hike. I only had a 3s battery charged. Let's just say he really enjoyed the extra power. A broken link end was certainly a small price to pay for the smiles this rig is putting on his face.

The truck still managed to limp home...

Axial RR10 Bomber Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 05-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

My little helper assisted in the repair of the Bomber so we could get it back out on the trails. Yay for steering!

Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

My younger son wanted to help me make a YouTube video of the Bomber. How could I say no?

This is the point where I shamelessly tell you that throwing some views and "likes" at this video would totally make his day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSlD7t8eDio
Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, so here goes!

The Bumble Bomber is still going strong. It has now logged over 50 trail miles with no additional breakages. It's a pretty tough rig right out of the box. I was concerned about all that power in a rig that I knew the boys would get their hands on, but it has held up well. Phew!

Picture time!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

I don’t comment much on stuff but I love this build. The build is cool, but I love how you have your little helper involved so much. Nice photo skills too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockwha? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

I appreciate the performance comparisons you've noted, against your Wraith and Yeti. I'm thinking about taking the hop ups I had set aside for my SMT10 and use them on an RTR Bomber, instead. I mostly just want a locked axle, 2.2 backyard rig that doesn't roll over at the slightest turn of the wheel, and the Bomber seems like a fit.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Good looking ride and what a fun project together!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwha? View Post
I don’t comment much on stuff but I love this build. The build is cool, but I love how you have your little helper involved so much. Nice photo skills too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I appreciate the performance comparisons you've noted, against your Wraith and Yeti. I'm thinking about taking the hop ups I had set aside for my SMT10 and use them on an RTR Bomber, instead. I mostly just want a locked axle, 2.2 backyard rig that doesn't roll over at the slightest turn of the wheel, and the Bomber seems like a fit.
Any solid axle rig with locked diffs is is going to be good at barrel rolls. The Bomber is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
Good looking ride and what a fun project together!
Thanks. It was fun. Big Little guys ended up building his own ECX Barrage after this.

Johnny takes 10 months to build a Bomber with an 11 year old helper. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber or Wraith for 6/7 year old? Dornbox Maine 6 12-21-2015 05:23 PM
Johnny Mac's Dingo Build johnnymac Axial SCX-10 10 03-12-2014 01:45 PM
New year build off!!!! oleminer North Dakota 24 11-26-2012 11:41 AM
9 months later finishing Dingo! Build advise? Formiga Axial SCX-10 9 11-10-2012 01:59 PM