Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24

I haven't done a kit since my Axial XR10...so...here we go! The plan for this build will be something I can take out and get a lot of run time on and not have to worry about beating up my other scale builds. I maybe even hit a few WARCRC U4RC races as well and maybe even some hiking. I am lucky enough to leverage a lot of great info from the fellow WARCRC U4RC builders/drivers and will be putting that to good use.

This is the kit version so it comes with a lot of good upgrades right off the bat. Such as, shocks and links.

The cage was some what easy to put together and I really like the design of the side floor panels.

Cage is mostly together, just a few bits to add.

The transfer mission was pretty quick to assembly and the gears seem to be really nice as well. Also, jumping ahead, the diff gears are a new design compared to the older SCX10.1 kits I am used to, they look like they can handle some abuse.

Here is the view of the rear side of the transmission, I am really liking the gears, really beefy looking.

Here is a view of the front of the transmission.

Transmission is installed, along with the Brood 3300KV Vigor sensored brushless motor.

I also installed an Axial Machined Alum Adjustable Motor Mount (#AX31156), I really feel like this is a necessary upgrade because the stock plastic setup really feels weak.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24

Lovin' the scale garage pics... Keep 'em comin'!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I found some aluminum laying around so I decided to make some quick panels. I am thinking about painted the panels with a few graphics and applying some numbers and etc to them as well. I think a mixture of grey and orange might look cool.

The aluminum sheet is .025" in thickness and is pretty sturdy. If it gets some dents, well... I guess it will just add to the scale look.

To transfer the hole locations I used my Starrett center punch, if you don't have one you need to quit reading this and buy one...lol.

To cut the large straight sections I used my Eastwood 8 Inch Bench Shear(# #2019. I have had this shear for a while and it maybe the reason I decided to make panels, trying to get more seat time on it, to see what it's capable of.

It's a pretty cool shear, it even has a slot to cut solid rod, it does 3/16" just fine.

For some of the smaller cuts I was able to use some standard curved body trim scissors.

I used a normal kitchen scrub pad to give the panels an even finish in one direction.

I am know I am not re-inventing the wheel on creating panels like this but it was a fun quick Sunday project.

To get the sharp bends I just put the panels in my vise to get the bend I needed.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here are a few pictures on what the Bomber is creating at, it's all wired up and I had a blast at the last WARCRC U4RC race. The Mamba X and Brood 3300KV Vigor sensored brushless motor is pretty smooth. I am getting this rig ready for the WARCRC "Scale Trail Run" this weekend. I am excited to see how it crawls, it seems to have a lot of low end control.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

Fantastic garage! Great photos!

Cool build. It's good to see another Brood motor.

You also reminded me that I should get Pro-Line PowerStroke shocks for my Bomber.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

How long are those power strokes you put on?
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

X3 on the garage, too cool. So where is the hood for this thing?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Fantastic garage! Great photos!
Cool build. It's good to see another Brood motor.
You also reminded me that I should get Pro-Line PowerStroke shocks for my Bomber.
Thanks! The Proline's work great, it's pretty much the norm for the WARCRC U4RC races. I am pretty happy with them but I need to swap in some wider hubs so I can really test it in the corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
How long are those power strokes you put on?
I will have to check, I can't remember if they are front or rear Slash shocks, I know there is a difference between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
X3 on the garage, too cool. So where is the hood for this thing?
Thanks! I ran out of material for the hood but I have another plan for that. I will post up later this week.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

How's about this idea for your hood: Take some wood, raising the sides of it, leaving the middle "section" low. Do the opposite on another block, only going about 1/8" deep with a little more than 1/16" of a gap for clearance around them. Gives you a positive and negative mould. Now replicate the stock hood or raise the section making it the opposite of the stock hood. Again, only go about 1/8" deep, do this pressing them in your vise. .025 will shape easily. Then trim to match the stock hood pattern. Mark where it needs to roll down on the nose and hand form roll over a piece of tubing, roughly 6" o.d., about 15 degrees in angle. Custom hood in aluminum.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Not too much to update on the Bomber besides continuing to adjust the shocks, adding some fun stickers and momentarily swapping in some VP wheels for a WARCRC Scale Trail Run this weekend.

I would like to thank the homer donut company for there continued support.

I found this cool winged Axial sticker on a OG sticker sheet, pretty cool.

I finally got around to painted the interior but need to secure the driver head better....lol.

I am really liking these proline shocks, pretty good for trail driving and for track usage too.

I mounted some Krawler Konceptz plates as well. I was thinking, it's a good way to tell peoples trucks apart at RC events too.

Here are a few pictures from the WARCRC Scale Trail Run on Saturday.

The WARCRC event was right by the water, pretty cool location. BoxCar Park in Everett, Wa.

Here is a pic of me hitting the dirt track at the J&S Hobbies track in Marysville, Wa.

And one last crappy pic of me sending it....lol.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Is that stock width or is it a little wider? In the pictures it looks a little wider. I really like the looks of it. If you get a chance let me know what length of shocks those are I’m looking at doing the same thing.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

*Past update from Feb 22nd 2019

I was switching around some wheels on my Axial Racing Bomber and noticed some slop on the front right wheel. After taking it apart, sure enough the inner bearing was shot, it really exploded. Time for some new bearings. The outer sleeve of the bearing was a beast to get out, luckily I grease up the bearings before I install them. I am swapping in a new Vanquish Products AR60 V2 aluminum axle housing. My old V1 axle threaded holes for the chubs finally stripped out. Love that the new V2 housings use bigger bearings on the diff pinion, perfect for U4RC!

Old 11-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

*Past update from March 11th 2019

Here are a few pics of my Axial Racing Bomber at the WARCRC Comp #2 from March 2nd. I took 7th out of ten spots and had lots of fun. This truck is more built for U4RC because of its wheelbase, gearing and track width but had fun still. I hope to get my new Class Three going soon.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

*Past updated from March 21st 2019

Doing a little prep on my Axial Bomber for the WARCRC U4RC race this weekend. I picked up some new Vanquish Products 2.2 beadlocks, man do these mount easy. I was losing beads on my least set and wanted something a little easier to un mount tires for future maintenance.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Krawler Konceptz has already made me an inside skin my Axial XR10, Axial Wraith Sporty, Axial Yeti and now I have one for my Axial Bomber... woohoo.... lol. These inside skins are pretty awesome, the sticky side is actually on the graphic side and then placed on the inside of the lexan body. I like them because the lexan panels protect them from scraping off or damage.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Update from the 2019 WARCRC U4RC Race # 3, the first sunny weather race of the year and it was a blast. I again ran my Axial Racing Bomber in the 2.2 Solid Axle Class and was able to get 1st out of 14 trucks. In the 2nd heat I got last because some screws backed out on my knuckle&chub making it undriveable. Not doing great in heats meant that I had to race the C, B and A-Main but I was fortunately able to got first place in all three Mains.... it was not easy, lots a great drivers. With the hotter and dry conditions the track was acting a lot different, usually the track is damp with the usual PNW rain but not this time. The track was a bit dusty and allowed you to drift it around corners a bit more. Some might not like the dust but I really like it because it gives that fun King of the Hammers look...lol. Any who, I am excited that spring is here, racing in the winter is tough but that's the great thing about U4RC... year round! 🙂

Old 11-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I did some updates on my Axial Bomber that I run in the WARCRC U4RC 2.2 Solid Class. I toasted a servo in my TTC tuber and borrowed the servo out of my Bomber, so I swapped in a Hitec 7950 I had laying around. I also picked up some new beadlock rings from Locked Up RC. The countersunk holes on the rings are a bit deeper and should help protect the ring bolts a hair better compared to the VP ones. I also swapped in a pair of Proline Slash front shocks in the front, I was running Slash rears in the front but it was a bit tall. That's it for now. 🙂

Old 11-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Here a few pics of my Axial Bomber from the 2019 WARCRC U4RC race # 4. Photo credit @tuanies

Old 11-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

WARCRC U4RC Race # 5 update, weather was awesome and the fellow racers were on point, one of my toughest races yet. My Axial Racing Bomber ended up with 3rd out of 9 drivers in the 2.2 Solid class. My Axial Yeti got 8th out of 11 drivers in 2.2 IFS. This was my first time driving my Yeti in over a year or so, it was really fun and held corners way better then my Bomber. My Yeti steering mount needs some work to keep things tight but all in all, trucks were running pretty well.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I did some U4RC racing at this the 2019 WARCRC Warrior Weekend and wow I missed the hardcore track at Lake Keechelus. I was able to pull off 2nd place in 2.2 IFS with my Axial Racing Yeti and 3rd place in 2.2 Solid with my Axial Bomber. Huge thanks to my buddy Jordy for hooking me up with some lipos for the race, I missed placed one and I forgot a cable on my charger. We are racing at the same track one more time next month, we only race up there twice a year and the rest is at the Covington Track. Both are great in there own way.

Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About to get an Axial bomber thatchvol Axial RR10 Bomber 12 12-07-2015 08:08 AM