Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber
Loading

Notices

Thread: OHOs Bomber.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default OHOs Bomber.

Nothing too much to report, axles all done, the rest will follow, don't plan on major upgrades with this, just want to beat the snot out of it, waiting for electrics to come in stock at RCmart.

And a preview of my scale garage, more to come on that in it's own thread sometime.

Electrics will be Castle Mamba X, Slate 2850kv motor on 3s/4s*Savox 1272, SR415 and my trusty DX4C.*



Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Shocks all done, fresh from the pallet.

Front and rear axles complete and ready to go on.

Annoyingly, I'm missing the little metal servo plate from the kit, searched every bag for it and the box, no sign of it anywhere, might just make my own.

I can't wait until stuff starts arriving for the garage as well, it's getting full but looks bare.



Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Farmington
Posts: 3
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Nothing too much to report, axles all done, the rest will follow, don't plan on major upgrades with this, just want to beat the snot out of it, waiting for electrics to come in stock at RCmart.



And a preview of my scale garage, more to come on that in it's own thread sometime.



Electrics will be Castle Mamba X, Slate 2850kv motor on 3s/4s*Savox 1272, SR415 and my trusty DX4C.*









Great start, keep pics coming!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gillette2srmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

I sure will
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Well, she rolls.

I was unsure what to do about electrics, RCmart didn't seem to be getting stock of what I wanted, although they told me mid-March, having realised all I needed was a motor for a brushed set up, I looked around and the Holmes Trailmaster Sport 550 27t and 21t seemed to be the best budget option for getting muddy and not wrecking a high end brushed motor, so for $20, I ordered the 21t, checked Holmes' site for gearing and I am currently running 64/10, I couldn't find a 9t pinion or I'd have tried that just to begin with, but a 10-11t is recommended anyway.

Paint is nice and simple, just some gun metal highlights, I might add a few stickers to it as well, but we'll see, as with interior, just simple, gun metal figures and helmets, the rest black.

I have ordered some of the rear springs for the front, the front seems very stiff and the only difference is the springs, so I want it matching and I'll put those on when they arrive.

Hopefully I might actually get to testing tomorrow, but if not it'll be within the next few days, so hopefully the motor survives and I might get some pictures too.

For now, these ones will have to do.



Hmm, there is something missing?!







Cut cut cut.







Top tip*to get your lines matching.



















Nooo, too shiny!







So much better!







Interior is so annoying to mask.







Nope, too shiny again...







These pads are excellent for stuff like interiors or panels that aren't flat, it works so much better than sandpaper.







Matt, flat and ready to attack.















And my electrics of choice, along with the Savox 1271.



Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 190
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

What tire/foam/wheels do you think you'll end up with? Or will you stick with the stock for a bit?
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,686
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

For the interior, paint the underside black, then cut up the overspray shield and paint the drivers from the top.

Much easier than masking from inside.

Also please share your hobbywing 1080 settings so we can compare between us lowly brushed owners

Last edited by Jboucher; 03-25-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
What tire/foam/wheels do you think you'll end up with? Or will you stick with the stock for a bit?
Well, I had a little run today in stock format and I was pleasantly surprised, it was only a short run, as my servo horn came loose and stupidly I didn't take any tools with me, but it was only a quick shakedown anyway.
The tyres I am very impressed by, the softer foams seem to work well, I currently have two breather holes showinw in the wheels.
I'd like some nice SSD Assassins or maybe some 105 Methods, but people won't sell a single wheel, I can't have a non matching spare, it would annoy me too much and right now I don't want to spend the amount for 3 pairs new, so I really don't have an immediate plan, but as the tyres and foams work well, that leaves me a little extra money towards the wheel fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
For the interior, paint the underside black, then cut up the overspray shield and paint the drivers from the top.

Much easier than masking from inside.

Also please share your hobbywing 1080 settings so we can compare between us lowly brushed owners
I have used this method before, but the matt clear I use, isn't very compatible with PS sprays, it sometimes reacts badly, so I didn't want to risk it and had to do it the hard way.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,655
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

RPP Hobbies sells many wheels as singles, and I ordered my Incision Method single direct from Vanquish. Just emailed them that I only wanted one.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,686
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

I had a friend airbrush the drivers with waterbased paint after 2 or 3 light coats of tamiya PS white. Then he used a waterbased clear coat.
Worked pretty well.
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Land of burning couches
Posts: 918
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I'd like some nice SSD Assassins or maybe some 105 Methods, but people won't sell a single wheel, I can't have a non matching spare, it would annoy me too much and right now I don't want to spend the amount for 3 pairs new, so I really don't have an immediate plan, but as the tyres and foams work well, that leaves me a little extra money towards the wheel fund.
You can get singles of the chanquish off ebay for about 16 bucks each, aside from the white "method" on the vanquish and the knock off not having that, can't tell them apart.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

I can't order direct from Vanquish or RPP etc.. I'm in the UK, the postage is a killer, as is the import duties etc.. I've not found the knock off singles yet, not in a wheel I like anyway.
I'm sure I will eventually I need to look more, now I know the tyres and foams are fine as they are, I can focus more on just spending a bit on wheels rather than foams and tyres too.
For venting, do you guys recommend benting the side wall or the treaded part of the tyre?

I will say, I have really missed running a 2.2 rig!

So much fun, so capable, only gave it a very small run, because the servo horn was loose and I didn't take any tools with me, stupidly.

I did take a few pictures though, nothing too exciting, as I went very easy on it due to the servo horn being loose.

Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think.



















































































Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 190
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Nice Bomber OHO, still got that itch to buy a kit and build one. Been reading build threads and watching some YT vids. Can't wait to see you onboard videos
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 157
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Hi OHO,

Seriously considering getting another RR10, without the other half knowing (hence why I am posting here). Yours is looking great keep up the good work. I would have to keep mine at work too, but that's cool as there may be a couple of places to use it near there anyway.
ostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Nice Bomber OHO, still got that itch to buy a kit and build one. Been reading build threads and watching some YT vids. Can't wait to see you onboard videos
I would say do it, from my experience with the Wraith and my limited experience with the Bomber, I would say the Bomber is better.
I can't quite work out why yet, but when everyone said the Bomber is what the Wraith should have been, I now understand what they meant, it's a brilliant truck!
If this motor lasts and doesn't burn up, I will be extremely happy with every aspect of it, looks and performance.
Not sure how soon the onboard stuff will come, I've not been very enthusiastic for YouTube lately, but I will try not to let my subscribers down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post
Hi OHO,

Seriously considering getting another RR10, without the other half knowing (hence why I am posting here). Yours is looking great keep up the good work. I would have to keep mine at work too, but that's cool as there may be a couple of places to use it near there anyway.
Go for it I can't see me ever selling this.
I'm sat looking at the Yeti and wondering if I need it now.
Not something I ever thought I'd say about my Yeti either!
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 190
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I would say do it, from my experience with the Wraith and my limited experience with the Bomber, I would say the Bomber is better.
I can't quite work out why yet, but when everyone said the Bomber is what the Wraith should have been, I now understand what they meant, it's a brilliant truck!
If this motor lasts and doesn't burn up, I will be extremely happy with every aspect of it, looks and performance.
Not sure how soon the onboard stuff will come, I've not been very enthusiastic for YouTube lately, but I will try not to let my subscribers down



Go for it I can't see me ever selling this.
I'm sat looking at the Yeti and wondering if I need it now.
Not something I ever thought I'd say about my Yeti either!
Yea that's how I feel. Can't see driving the yeti again if I get a bomber. While the front suspension is different, to me the bomber is what the yeti shoulda been
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #17
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,686
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Yea that's how I feel. Can't see driving the yeti again if I get a bomber. While the front suspension is different, to me the bomber is what the yeti shoulda been
The yeti is a basher / go fast rig. It's not meant to crawl at all so it's a very different rig.

The bomber with IFS is what the yeti should have been

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Interestingly, most people said the Bomber is what the Wraith should have been.
I was surprised how well the Yeti 'crawls' when you get it set up nicely, I do use the term crawl quite loosely though, nothing like a proper crawler but more so than most would believe, even with an open front diff and mine isn't exactly thick oil either I think it's like 10k or something.
I don't think I will ever sell the Yeti though in truth, but then again, I said that about the XL!

I wasn't going to upload this, but decided to anyway as a few people referenced seeing some footage.
It's nothing too crazy, due to the servo horn being loose, on that climb and roll, you can see the front wheels stay facing one side, due to the horn slipping.
I need to order a new one just to be on the safe side, but not sure which yet, I need something decent for this though.
Here's the little bit of footage I got anyway, hope you enjoy.


Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 157
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I would say do it, from my experience with the Wraith and my limited experience with the Bomber, I would say the Bomber is better.
I can't quite work out why yet, but when everyone said the Bomber is what the Wraith should have been, I now understand what they meant, it's a brilliant truck!
If this motor lasts and doesn't burn up, I will be extremely happy with every aspect of it, looks and performance.
Not sure how soon the onboard stuff will come, I've not been very enthusiastic for YouTube lately, but I will try not to let my subscribers down



Go for it I can't see me ever selling this.
I'm sat looking at the Yeti and wondering if I need it now.
Not something I ever thought I'd say about my Yeti either!
You know I went a bit crazy on my old bomber ;) but I do really miss it.

You will enjoy going brushless with this rig, also you can swap some of your Yeti parts onto the Bomber (like your RR spur, and perhaps the SSD trailing arms)
ostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #20
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 685
Default Re: OHOs Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostewart View Post
You know I went a bit crazy on my old bomber ;) but I do really miss it.

You will enjoy going brushless with this rig, also you can swap some of your Yeti parts onto the Bomber (like your RR spur, and perhaps the SSD trailing arms)
I will be running it as is for the moment though... I might go brushless, but if this motor lasts, I am very happy as it is for now.
Looking forward to giving it another run, especially when I get the softer springs on the front.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



OHOs Bomber. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHOs Axial Yeti RTR Oh How Original Axial Yeti 84 05-25-2020 05:37 AM
OHOs Axial SCX10II. Oh How Original Axial SCX10 II 57 04-06-2018 09:51 AM
OHOs Tamiya Leopard 2a6! Oh How Original Non Crawler RC's 7 04-10-2017 08:04 AM
OHOs Axial Yeti XL Oh How Original Axial Yeti XL 30 03-19-2017 02:18 PM
OHOs CrossRC MC8 Oh How Original Multi Axle Rigs 2 09-12-2016 12:52 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com